Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Milk free toast toppings

(27 Posts)
MrsWhirling Sat 20-Jul-13 22:25:04

Hi all,

My 7 1/2 month old DS had toast for the first time today & loved it!

I used Kingsmill 50/50 bread & Pure spread.

Just wondering what other milk free toppings I can spread on his toast? So far I've only thought of Peanut butter... X

ArabellaBeaumaris Sat 20-Jul-13 22:27:37

Hazelnut butter, almond butter, cashew nut butter... Jam (you can get no sugar ones from health food shops). Humous, baba ganoush, guacamole (avocado). Fish paste.

InvaderZim Sat 20-Jul-13 22:31:56

He's a bit young for this, but for when he's older there's dairy free chocolate spread, yum!

TheDetective Sat 20-Jul-13 22:34:38

Fruit puree on toast goes down a treat here smile

As does egg.

MousyMouse Sat 20-Jul-13 22:36:08

yeast extract pate spread (holland and barrets have nice ones)
makarel pate (just blitz some smoked makarel) be careful to check the lable as they sometimes are not dairy free.
or other (tinned) fish mashed/blitzed

MrsShrek3 Sat 20-Jul-13 23:06:45

we have cows milk allergic dc and do....
marmite (one loves it, one hates it, what else)
peanut butter
dairy free choc spread
df cheese spread (It is minging imho but the dc know no better like it)
jam, pref home made
marmalade, always home made wink
lemon curd, ditto (awesome microwave recipe)
honey
vitalite is also dairy free and tastes a lot better than pure, we also use it for baking etc

my dc also love eggy bread, good alternative when the toast addiction starts to wear off. wink

BikeRunSki Sat 20-Jul-13 23:11:05

Banana

melonribena Sun 21-Jul-13 20:40:48

Where do you get dairy free chocolate spread?!

ArabellaBeaumaris Sun 21-Jul-13 21:15:23

I have a dairy free carob hazel spread

http://www.planetorganic.com/biona-organic-carabio-spread.html

My DD thinks it is a poor substitute for Nutella (not dairy free but trying to avoid palm oil)

ArabellaBeaumaris Sun 21-Jul-13 21:15:39
MrsShrek3 Sun 21-Jul-13 22:02:56

also this smile

Annunziata Sun 21-Jul-13 22:06:35

Sardines
Tomatoes (a baby bruschetta maybe?)

Takver Sun 21-Jul-13 22:22:25

tahini (+ honey if you want when older)

mashed banana (banana on toast is one of my no. 1 breakfast things)

ukey Mon 22-Jul-13 10:40:10

i would be very wary of using things like peanut butter etc with a baby.

louisianablue2000 Mon 22-Jul-13 23:08:31

Peanut butter plus banana is a big hit round here. Mashed avocado is so easy to make and very popular. There are quite a few different hummus recipes you can make that would be OK, HFW does recipes for broad bean or beetroot hummus. What about homemade coleslaw, are eggs OK?

ukey the paediatric allergy consultant we saw today about DS's CMP allergy positively encouraged me to give him peanut butter (his blood results showed no reaction), there is no consistent evidence that delaying the introduction of peanut prevents allergies.

ukey Tue 23-Jul-13 11:17:53

true there is no evidence either way...........there is an on going study on it at the moment.

http://www.leapstudy.co.uk/LEAP.html

This study looks into weather we should avoid nuts in high risk children, or expose them to nuts from an early age. Results are due at some time this year.

allergies can and do appear at any time in life, and often don't follow the 'rules'. So I would proceed with great caution with any high risk foods.

burberryqueen Tue 23-Jul-13 11:19:13

olive oil and tomato and garlic rubbed on

nextphase Tue 23-Jul-13 11:27:00

Jam, marmite, bovril (just outed myself now!), mashed banana and avacado (yes, mashed together), egg, peanut butter, nut butters.
We also ring the changes with teackaes, muffins, crupmets etc, but you need to read all the packets.

No honey til over a year.

ouryve Tue 23-Jul-13 11:28:48

Mashed up sardines grin

colditz Tue 23-Jul-13 11:39:51

Pesto and hoummous

BikeRunSki Tue 23-Jul-13 19:48:38

Pesto has cheese in though.

NothingsLeft Tue 23-Jul-13 20:02:44

Avocado is always a winner here, as is beans smile

aprilj11 Tue 23-Jul-13 20:07:59

humus. My put it on toast for my ds when he was little and now its his favorite food. I add it to anything he is being picky about and all of a sudden he'll gobble it down!

cocoa on top of the marg
golden syrup

All the healthy options have been said already!

trixymalixy Tue 23-Jul-13 22:32:14

The co-op have a dairy and egg free Brussels pate.

There's that biscuit spread, that the name of escapes me. It's made of those biscuits you get with coffee.

You can buy fruit spreads that have less sugar than jam in health food shops.

Tesco and holland and barret have a soya cheese spread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now