Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dairy free croissants

(12 Posts)
babybarrister Fri 05-Apr-13 07:43:45

Jusrol 'croissants' are dairy free - hurray! DS had tried a croissant for the first time in his life - thanks to whoever told me about this smile

abigboydidit Fri 05-Apr-13 19:01:38

See this thread for other surprise dairy free finds.

babybarrister Fri 05-Apr-13 19:42:28

Thanks

mintyneb Fri 05-Apr-13 23:13:23

I use these occasionally and spread on a layer of Plamil chocolate spread before baking - hey presto, pain au chocolat!

babybarrister Fri 05-Apr-13 23:17:29

Ooh yes great idea!

harverina Wed 10-Apr-13 07:56:54

Don't they have a milk warning on them though? I will need to check again as dd loves pastry so would love croissants!

babybarrister Wed 10-Apr-13 08:26:19

Not sure but DS was fine with them and in any event they do go in the oven which I suspect would blitz any bits of cmp still around ....
Do bear in mind that as the law currently stands they is absolutely NO RELATION between the level of cross contamination and the warning on the product. A warning therefore may or may not be totally meaningless. Equally a product without a warning may or may not have more cross contamination. The Anaphylaxis Campaign is campaigning for the warnings to correspond to the actual level of cross contamination.
IME it is the larger food producers who include the sterner warnings - I suspect that this is more of a reflection of insurance advice than any actual objective standards of cross contaminationsmile

greenbananas Wed 10-Apr-13 10:20:41

I seem to remember the JusRol croissants having a milk warning, but my DS was also fine with them (he loved them) and he does normally react to very tiny traces.

Some of the warnings are completely meaningless. I tend to try thinking about what else the manufacturer makes and whether or not it is likely to have been on the same machine.

Our local supermarkets have all stopped selling these croissants. Can't find them anywhere now, and I am gutted!

harverina Wed 10-Apr-13 10:46:18

Ok thanks will maybe give them a go as my dd would love them. She is starting to become more adventurous with food - she even had a slice of her vegan birthday cake at the weekend which she has never eaten before!

Maz007 Sat 13-Apr-13 08:25:06

I'd been meaning to check since you posted this and finally got some jus rol pain au chocolat this morning, but they are even nicer than the croissants! Amazingly there's no nut warning... wheat and soya are ingredients and egg and milk are the may contain warnings - though DD reacts to both and is fine with them.

The other breakfast alternative we have regularly are cinnamon palmiers which we make at home using jus rol puff pastry sheets - recipe here Not the same as it's back to making things from scratch but they're yum and easy to make so the kids enjoy doing it.

Happy breakfast all

harverina Sat 13-Apr-13 10:33:59

Thanks for checking! I did look for them but local asda doesn't have them. Could Iake my own do you think?

harverina Sat 13-Apr-13 10:34:17

I make - sorry smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now