Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Perfume and cosmetics allergy

(2 Posts)
Adversecamber Wed 21-Nov-12 18:01:45

I have always been sensitive to perfume and cosmetics, however I seem to be getting worse. I had a really swollen eye about two months ago . Diagnosed as an allergic reaction, turns out it was an eyeshadow I had used previously and been fine with. Now my real problem is perfume worn by others the effect seems to be getting a lot worse. Certain scents also seem worse than others. I seem to work with women that seem to wear quite a bit, I have mentioned this and people are not that sympathetic, I'm not sure what to do.

eragon Thu 22-Nov-12 18:00:09

do you have any food allergies?

I tend to go for cheaper brands of make up as the more expensive, like cinique (cant remember how to spell that, sorry) cause large facial boil type spots, and in my mother and sister, lip and eye swelling. Although hyper allergenic, this seems to mean little with regard to reactions in our family!

perfumes are never sprayed on skin, but on clothes in winter, in summer on mid to ends of hair, this has a dual purpose of highlighting your hair!

i wouldnt wear any eyeshadow for a long time, as skin will be more sensitive there.
i use vasline to remove eye make up, its gentle on skin.

I dont wear make up everyday either as thats a sure fire way to end up flakey on the face iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now