Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

I need your tips for a dairy-free and soya-free Christmas!

(25 Posts)

I was in Tesco this morning and they've started putting out their Christmas stock. I had a quick nose and of course the mince pies have butter in, the Christmas puddings contain milk powder etc.

This will be my first Christmas without dairy or soya (BF DS is intolerant to both) and I hadn't really thought about it until today. I can make mince pies at home but what about the rest - any tips would be much appreciated! smile

ReturnOfTheMunx Wed 19-Sep-12 17:43:47

Oh can I mark place? My 21 mo dd has cmpi so will be interested to hear what treats she an enjoy.

Please excuse the one handed lack of capitals.....bfeeding DS.

KarenHL Wed 19-Sep-12 17:48:19

I can't speak for most of the Christmassy stuff, but DD loves that I can now get her chocolate coins (we celebrated St Nicholas' day last year as well).

I found an online company based in Essex called 'Billy Goat Stuff' - the founder set it up because her son was allergic to dairy and soya, so she uses goat milk. Tested by the whole family, declared 'yum' (not at all 'goaty'). DD is delighted as she can have a treat, I'm delighted as it means I can get her treats without her skin flaring up (eczema & psoriasis). They come in little organza bags, which she likes to play with afterward.

Good luck finding alternatives for Christmas pud etc. We're lucky in that family usually make their own (& one of my MILs always makes a fruit-based alternative for anyone who doesn't fancy rich pud). I'm getting hungry now!

IgnoringTheChildren Wed 19-Sep-12 18:01:00

It is possible to buy Xmas puds and mince pies that are dairy-free, although I can't recommend anywhere right now as last year our dairy-free Xmas pud was from my son's school (PTA fund raiser) and my inlaws got the butter-free mince pies (best mince pies ever!) from a local farm shop!

Good quality Xmas puss often are dairy-free as the milk powder doesn't really add any useful quality to the mix. I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I spot anything. smile

Oh lovely thank you! Otherwise I may have to attempt to make one. confused

DorisIsWaiting Wed 19-Sep-12 18:08:23

DD1 (7) is dairy and soya free.

Cheaper stuff tends not to have dairy in. Last year Lidl mince pies were D/S F. Also Lidl christmas puddlings. For treats we have booja booja chocolate fpr DH (df) but I can't remember if it's soya free too.

Last easter we found a company that did df/sf/ easter eggs (dd was beside herself!) called Moo free. The advent callendar also appears to be SF (DD can tolerate the may contain traces of tho') here. For cream we get the cartons of oat milk.

PiggyMad Wed 19-Sep-12 18:10:25

Im so looking forward to Christmas with my first baby, but will also be avoiding dairy and soya! I will be keeping an eye on this thread and will add anything I find.

Rosesinmyhair Sun 23-Sep-12 22:24:43

Waitrose mini mince pies last year - were dairy free!

heliotrope Mon 24-Sep-12 12:09:05

Seconding advice to look for value brands as often made with veg oil instead of butter.

Also agree no reason why xmas pud should have milk in it - would never have if you made it at home. I make one from a normal recipe (no milk) and also miss out the egg - I thought it might crumble but it was fine. Nuts can obviously be left out too.

Generally I find Christmas to be OK for our allergies - the main roast and trimmings being generally fine if you avoid butter dressings.
Even trifle can be adapted - I do a big one for the family and just make some extra mini ones with the bits DS can have - fruit, cake(if ok), dairy free custard, sugar sprinkles on top. Could add jelly for him.
We tend to have fruit salad which is OK.
We also have sausage rolls which I make from sausages (check packets but some are OK) and jusrol or sainsers ready made pastry (both dairy free, not sure about soya though). I glaze with soya milk but you could do egg.

As it is you that needs to avoid dairy/soya and not a child, I'd think about your fave christmas things and make sure you don't miss out. E.g. bread sauce can be made with soya milk, maybe oat milk might work.

Oatly do an oat cream which might be nice for you with mince pies etc.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Mon 24-Sep-12 12:30:48

DS3 is soy and CMP allergic. Mince pies - try Tesco mincemeat, think it doesn't have any butter in.

Tesco own brand puff pastry (fridges, ready to roll), and shortcrust pastry are dairy/soy free. I make my own sausage rolls etc.

Also, if you bake using BLOCK Stork then that is dairy/soy free as it is vegetable oil based. Bakes like a dream too.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Mon 24-Sep-12 12:31:54

Oatly oat cream is even nicer if infused in an airtight pot overnight with a vanilla pod.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Mon 24-Sep-12 12:33:02

Jusrol is NOT dairy free! It is made with butter. Looked at every single one Jusrol do, ALL made with butter.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Mon 24-Sep-12 12:35:04

Ah, and from mid October onwards, Tesco do a free-from mince pies, but they come in later because they have a shorter shelf life.

Maz007 Mon 24-Sep-12 13:01:44

That might be another one of those 'need to check each packet things' but we are dairy and egg free and regularly use jus rol pastry. There are some 'buttery' types but definitely some vegetable oil based ones which go down well at ours.

Iggly Mon 24-Sep-12 13:04:37

Thank you to the pp who mentioned dairy/soya free pastry from tescos. Hurrah!!!

I just avoided dairy/soya stuff (no pudding etc). Not actually that bad except decent chocolate was off the cards <sob>

heliotrope Mon 24-Sep-12 16:43:14

Sorry if wrong info on Jusrol, am sure I've used one before as well as the sainsers ones which are definitely dairy free (have to get the cheaper ones not the 'all butter' obviously) - I may have remembered wrong though.

trixymalixy Mon 24-Sep-12 23:37:56

I use jus-rol pastry and we are dairy and egg free.

I used to make custard for DS with oat milk and birds eye custard powder, before he could eat the soya custard. The blancmange powder you can get in the supermarkets is dairy free in some of the flavours, but not all.

Oatly cream is good for pouring or cooking.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Tue 25-Sep-12 02:32:46

Trixy - I will check again tomorrow on the Jusrol, but it was only a couple of weeks ago I last checked, and all the Jusrol my Tesco stocked had butter in. The 'normal' ones AND the all butter ones.

I know the Tesco own brand ones are ok though.

trixymalixy Tue 25-Sep-12 08:08:46

It'd be really annoying if they have changed the recipe. I was thinking I had used some just last week, but ive just remembered it had been in my freezer for a bit.

trixymalixy Wed 26-Sep-12 22:51:05

I was in Sainsbury's today and all the jus-rol I could find was dairy and egg free, shortcrust, puff and filo. And also a tube of croissant dough that was egg and dairy free, woo hoo!!!

Maz007 Thu 27-Sep-12 01:44:29

Pain au chocolat and 'tear and share' type garlic pizza bread too!!! God bless those jus rol people!

trixymalixy Thu 27-Sep-12 08:09:33

Oh I didn't see those Maz, must look out for them! I've just noticed this is a dairy and soya free thread rather than a dairy and egg free thread. I think the croissant dough may have soya in, sorry.

heliotrope Thu 27-Sep-12 13:43:26

Wow I will look out fo the croissant dough, always feel that is something that noone should have to miss out on.
I double checked jusrol puff and shortcrust as well today, the allergy info only mentions wheat so that means definitely OK for dairy and egg free, and I think ok for soya free too. Thankfully!

Cordrazine Sat 29-Sep-12 21:41:50

I have bought some christmas puddings that are egg, dairy and soya free (not gluten free though) from Sainsburys, plus they were on 3 for 2 when I got them.

They are small, individual 100g portion puds in the'be good to yourself' range. Picture of the packaging here

Ingredients:
Sulatanas, sugar, raisins, water, breadcrumbs (wheat flour, salt, yeast), cider, palm oil, wheat flour, candied citrus peel (glucose syrup, orange peel, sugar, lemon peel, citric acid), sherry, molasses, rum, barley malt extract, mixed spice (coriander, cinnamon, clove, fennel, ginger, nutmeg, cardamon), salt.

Hope that helps someone.

Thank you so much! I'll look out for those. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now