In 5 days we'll know if we are able to adopt a little girl

(504 Posts)
lettinggo Sat 25-Jun-11 12:44:18

I won't go thorugh all the process that's brought us this far, but we're 6 1/2 years in the process.

In 5 days time, on June 30th, we're going to find out if we will be able to adopt a little girl from Russia. She must be made available for domestic adoption until June 30th and after that will be able to be adopted internationally. She has some minor health issues, as far as we know nothing hugely serious, but apparantly Russians don't like to adopt children with health issues. She's been adoptable since she was 2 months old.

For the past month we've known about her and have been told that if she doesn't get adopted domestically, we will be allowed to adopt her. In my heart I know we should be hoping she gets to be adopted domestically because that would obviously be what is best for her but it's hard not to hope that it doesn't happen. I'm just not that good.

And now there's only 5 days to go and she's still there. I'm not at all religious, I certainly don't pray. But I remember years ago doing a novena (type of prayer service you do for 9 days where you pray for a specific thing) to St Francis Xavier and the words are rattling around in my head

"but if what I ask is not for the glory of God and the good of my soul,
I pray and desire that which is most conducive to both"

Might not make sense to anyone not Catholic but it's a comfort at the moment.
Sorry for the ramble. I wish I could go to sleep and wake up on Thursday at 1pm (close of business in that part of Russia).

lettinggo Tue 05-Jul-11 00:06:52

Aw, Kew, I just read through your threads and looked at your blog. How gorgeous and how lovely for your little boy that you have all of those emotions documented.

And he looks lovely in pink!!

Thanks everyone for the kind good wishes!

lettinggo Thu 07-Jul-11 20:37:50

If we get our visas in time, we're travelling to meet our little daughter on July 17th!!!

Purplebuns Thu 07-Jul-11 21:36:30

Only ten days that is so amazing! You must be on cloud nine smile

hester Thu 07-Jul-11 21:51:58

I'm so excited for you. You will keep us updated, wont' you? I can't wait to hear all about your little girl smile

Maryz Thu 07-Jul-11 21:57:05

Oh wow, that is quick (I know, I know, probably about 10 years til this point, but it's still quick grin).

Do you stay, or do you then have to leave her there. Because I think that must be one of the hardest things to do.

Kewcumber Thu 07-Jul-11 23:37:01

I had to go back and reread my blog of Kaz after reading this thread - it brought everything back. I so want to go and relive it all knowing the outcome. MaryZ - Russia is a minimum two trip and sometimes three trip country - as is Kaz now, I was one of the last people to do it all in one trip.

lettinggo Thu 07-Jul-11 23:48:16

Russia is actually a 4 trip if you're doing an independent adoption which is what we're doing. The first trip was to register our dossier (last Aug).
The next one (4 days only) is to meet the child and sign the first set of "stuff". Then we have to apply for a court date and come home. I'm not even allowing myself to think about that part of it yet. One set of emotions at a time is all I can handle.
After that is the trip for our court date (and leave her again) and then finally we go back 10 days after court to bring her home.

Kew, I know two couples here who have registered in Kaz but it's closed now. I'm not sure if that's just Ireland it's closed to? I think there's some hope that a bilateral will be agreed later this year.

(PPS Kew - I just saw the film Borat for the first time. No wonder the people in Kaz were going mental but god what a funny film!)

Kewcumber Fri 08-Jul-11 00:34:25

Its closed becasue they signed up to the Hague convention and have closed to change the law and procedures. Signs are they will be opening again early next year. One of the new rules in Kaz will be a 4 week bonding period shock which actually is in essence what I did but will out lots of people - particularly the Americans.

Borat was released whilst I was there. They all thought Sasha B-C was American and I didn't disabuse them of the notion! Haven;t ever actually seen the film but clips I have seen make it really obvious he hadn;t ever been to Kaz and seemed to think it was eastern European confused - but can;t judge as I haven't seen it.

sowhatis Fri 08-Jul-11 17:41:11

great news lettinggo!!! i hope the trip goes well for you and everything gets signed xx

lettinggo Sat 16-Jul-11 11:31:28

We're travelling tomorrow to Russia and will meet our little one on Monday hopefully. I'm running around today buying nappies and shoes which is what her baby home is short of. Happy days. I'm so nervous now. It's all happening so fast now, I can't keep up with the pace after years of nothing happening.

FuzzpigFourFiveSix Sat 16-Jul-11 11:51:56

Oh wow. I'd never seen this thread, but I had lovely shivers when I read your post saying she will be yours. That is so fantastic! Congratulations!

I am shamelessly marking my place for updates. Can't wait to hear all about your daughter! Just... WOW. Totally magical. smile

Off to read Kewcumber's thread too, there are soooo many depressing things on MN these days and it's lovely to see something so incredibly positive. smile

Maryz Sat 16-Jul-11 21:19:57

Wishing you all the very best of luck, enjoy it (as much as you can), take loads of photos. I'm soooooooooooooo excited for you smile.

You are in Ireland aren't you? I used to watch the Rollercoaster adoption boards at the time of Vietnam closing, and it was heartbreaking to see all th couples who almost, but not quite, made it before the closing date sad.

It really brought me back - I was in Romania the week before they closed the adoptions from Romania in 1991, the very lowest point in our journey to have a child. Which is ironic now, because if Romania had been different, I wouldn't have my children shock. They would be somewhere, being brought up by someone, but it wouldn't be me, which is a very scary thought.

Sometimes things are just meant to happen smile - though I would be very hesitant to say that to one of the many couples, especially in Ireland, who have been in a horrible limbo for the last five years.

Oh lettinggo, have just seen this thread.

I have already wiped some tears away, I can't imagine how you are feeling atm.

Good luck, have a wondrous 4 days.

Don't forget the quilt!

smile

Kewcumber Mon 18-Jul-11 14:44:53

Ooh so exciting. Let us know asap.

Fuzzpig - not sure my thread will make sense without the blog but if you've got way too much time to kill wink its here www.simplesite.com/journeytokaz ... or you could just skim through and look at the album at the end!

hester Mon 18-Jul-11 22:37:47

lettinggo: I hope by now you have met your daughter! Can't wait to hear all about it smile

lettinggo Wed 20-Jul-11 07:44:59

Greetingsfrom Russia!!!! We met our little girl yesterday and Monday. We were allowed to see her twice both days for about 2 1/2 hours each day. She's pure gorgeous, there are no other words. She's tiny tiny tiny, like a little doll. She's bright as a button.On Monday, she wasn't sure about us at all, she spent her time staring at us with her hands up. Then when her carer would come up to her, she'd beam. So that's all very positive, she's formed attachments with her carers.

Yesterday she gave us a few smiles and our son even got her to laugh.
She's 9 1/2 months now and she's sitting up, crawling on her elbows, standing against furniture. She's making the most heart melting little babbling sounds when she's happy. We got to feed her twice yesterday and the food would make you cry. The baby home she is in is nice, and the ladies there are lovely but resources are scarce. We brought loads of second hand clothes and shoes but I was afraid we would offend them with second hand stuff. Not at all. On the second day, our little one came out wearing my friend's daughter's little pink outfit. It made me cry!

I knew leaving her would be hard but oh god.

Today is our day for offialdom. We had to get photos printed off and next go to the notary to sign the first set of papers and tomorrow we go home. Our facilitator here will apply for a court date and then we wait.

Jemma1111 Wed 20-Jul-11 08:01:27

Your thread has had me in tears too!

I'm wishing you the very best of luck and I hope its not long until your little girl comes home to you !! smile

CheerfulYank Wed 20-Jul-11 08:11:06

I'm so happy for you and your new DD! How lovely!

saltyseadog Wed 20-Jul-11 08:20:18

<sob> lovely. Hope all the legal stuff goes smoothly so you can have her home with you asap.

bran Wed 20-Jul-11 09:29:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FairyArmadillo Wed 20-Jul-11 09:33:00

smile

hester Wed 20-Jul-11 11:12:40

You have made me all tearful and broody! And wanting more - do keep updating, and huge congratulations to you smile

Kewcumber Wed 20-Jul-11 12:29:04

Oh how lovely - DS screamed for hours when he met me and was very attached to his carers so wariness is as you say a very good sign. I soooo want to do it all again.

scarlettsmummy2 Wed 20-Jul-11 12:31:41

best of luck! everything really does always work out in the end x

eastendmummy Wed 20-Jul-11 12:44:02

What a wonderful thread. I've got tears rolling down my face. Wishing you lots of luck that things go very smoothly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now