In 5 days we'll know if we are able to adopt a little girl

(504 Posts)
lettinggo Sat 25-Jun-11 12:44:18

I won't go thorugh all the process that's brought us this far, but we're 6 1/2 years in the process.

In 5 days time, on June 30th, we're going to find out if we will be able to adopt a little girl from Russia. She must be made available for domestic adoption until June 30th and after that will be able to be adopted internationally. She has some minor health issues, as far as we know nothing hugely serious, but apparantly Russians don't like to adopt children with health issues. She's been adoptable since she was 2 months old.

For the past month we've known about her and have been told that if she doesn't get adopted domestically, we will be allowed to adopt her. In my heart I know we should be hoping she gets to be adopted domestically because that would obviously be what is best for her but it's hard not to hope that it doesn't happen. I'm just not that good.

And now there's only 5 days to go and she's still there. I'm not at all religious, I certainly don't pray. But I remember years ago doing a novena (type of prayer service you do for 9 days where you pray for a specific thing) to St Francis Xavier and the words are rattling around in my head

"but if what I ask is not for the glory of God and the good of my soul,
I pray and desire that which is most conducive to both"

Might not make sense to anyone not Catholic but it's a comfort at the moment.
Sorry for the ramble. I wish I could go to sleep and wake up on Thursday at 1pm (close of business in that part of Russia).

hester Fri 01-Jul-11 21:11:36

Oh, this stuff really plays with your emotions, doesn't it. You anticipate these moments of crashing joy, and so often it isn't like that. Just treat yourself gently, allow yourself to breathe and smile with each little step forward..

Maryz Fri 01-Jul-11 21:36:28

I really hope you get your news soon. The waiting is just horrible. How long before you can travel (hoping that you will be going soon) smile.

Thinking of you xxx

lettinggo Mon 04-Jul-11 20:37:07

We got the call!!! She's going to be ours!!!!

We don't have a timeline yet. The translator is translating the referral and we have to respond to that and after that we can apply for the visa. We think we'll be meeting her in August.

I'm off to make a quilt for her to bring with us when we visit.

YIPPPPEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MavisCruetTheFairy Mon 04-Jul-11 20:40:27

Oh, congratulations! That's fantastic news!

jugglingmug Mon 04-Jul-11 20:41:59

lettinggo, I'm sat here with tears streaming down my face. Congratulations!

Wishing you many years of happiness with your daughter xx

wigglesrock Mon 04-Jul-11 20:42:56

So happy for you, just clicked on the thread on active convos. Those novenas work a treat grin MIL is a great fan. Hope you and your daughter bring each other a lifetime of joy. Congratulations.

Purplebuns Mon 04-Jul-11 20:43:38

How lovely, the best of luck to you smile

munkiii Mon 04-Jul-11 20:45:36

Fantastic news

HarrietJones Mon 04-Jul-11 20:46:22

grin grin grin

ledkr Mon 04-Jul-11 20:46:55

<wipes eyes> Thats fantastic,congratulations.

fantastic news congratulations

Kewcumber Mon 04-Jul-11 20:54:05

congratulations - my trip was played out across the mumsnet world! I have no sense of boundaries. I wonder if I can still find it...

lettinggo Mon 04-Jul-11 20:58:44

I hear you Kewcumber! I told a class of 29 11-year-olds on Thursday that I was adopting a little girl. Must learn boundriese!

Thanks everyone for the good wishes, I'm overwhelmed with the niceness of people, the lovely reactions both here and in real life. Thanks grin

Absolutely brilliant news, congratulations grin

TimsterC Mon 04-Jul-11 20:59:23

Great News, I'm so happy for you all. Well done.

Kewcumber Mon 04-Jul-11 21:04:18
PGTip Mon 04-Jul-11 21:05:40

gringringringringrin wonderful news

Kewcumber Mon 04-Jul-11 21:06:33

the call thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/adoptions/231439-all-my-bags-are-packed-i-m-ready-to-go?rn=20413&redir=20413 still makes me smile to read it now. Blimey it was nearly 5 years ago shock

DS told me tonight - you are the best mum in the whole wide world.<<sob>>

FairyArmadillo Mon 04-Jul-11 21:06:38

Congratulations!

hester Mon 04-Jul-11 21:07:39

YES!!!

Maryz Mon 04-Jul-11 21:15:04

Congratulations, I'm so pleased and excited for you.

And I remember Kew's threads - I used to read them and sob blush.

halfbabyhalfbiscuit Mon 04-Jul-11 21:18:33

Thrilled for you lettinggo - what exciting news!!

Best wishes to you and your DH, hope everything goes smoothly and enjoy your gorgeous daughter grin grin

Hulababy Mon 04-Jul-11 21:19:55

Congratulations!

Conundrumish Mon 04-Jul-11 23:26:43

Awww, lovely thread smile[tears]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now