Should I go for a Senior Lectureship job?

(4 Posts)
havenlady Tue 08-Mar-16 08:34:06

I run my own architecture practice, work as an HPL (in a different uni) plus some regulatory work. I have a recent-ish Masters degree. I am tempted by a permanent post focussing on teaching and managing the professional practice area of the school (architects take a professional qualification as well as 5 years study). It is an area I am really enthused by, and I am ready to move on from endless back extensions, not great financial rewards and stress of private practice. My question is will I be jumping from frying pan into the fire? Is all academia as stressful and relentless as some of the threads here imply?

Foginthehills Tue 08-Mar-16 17:10:14

If you're used to running your own business you may find the monitoring and surveillance excessive (we're having to start to look out for terrorists this year). But I guess you'll already be used to picky customers.

MarasmeAbsolu Thu 10-Mar-16 22:11:08

grin terrorists (not a joke, sadly)

My guess is that you could find academia quite frustrating in some ways - the general inertia when tough shit needs dealt with, the anal-retentiveness, the giant egos smile
joking aside - loads of freedom, although this depends on the job description

I don't know your field well - but with TEF and REF around the corner, the expectations at SL level will be high - and you might need to be able to hit the ground running. Maybe scope this out with the HoD in an informal phone call?

havenlady Sun 13-Mar-16 07:35:45

Thanks both - I am going to follow my gut instinct and not apply!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now