Pre roasting carrots and parsnips.

(10 Posts)

I will have 9 for Christmas lunch this year and a tiny oven. If I roast the parsnips and carrots the day before and stick them back in the oven for the last 10 minutes to crisp back up, will it work or will they be grim?

TryingtobePrepared Thu 22-Sep-16 21:26:15

I've never done those veg but do roast potatoes this way all the time, par boil, drain return to pan give good shake pop into hot fat and roast until crunchy but a little less golden than you'd like put on to a clean baking tray and try to leave as much fat behind as poss and cover with tea towel. its really important steam can escape and put somewhere dry and room temp if I remember correctly Mary berry says airing cupboard. reheat next day and voila, tend to whack mine in on high temp while the roast is resting. Can't see why other veg wouldn't work you could give a small amount a try and if the texture is wrong make roast veg soup!

If you parboil them for 10 mins, you could roast them for 30 mins after you take your turkey or other meat out of the oven to rest. I rather suspect that carrots roasted the day before will be a bit wrinkly!

Thumbcat Fri 23-Sep-16 13:07:54

I cook mine early, then leave them covered somewhere and bung them back in to warm up when everything else is nearly done.

Thank you! I too was a bit suspicious of the carrots going wrinkly... Right, I will have to do a batch and see. Or I might just do the potatoes instead, thank you Trying, it's the potatoes which are the issue really, will need a full tray of potatoes at least and they take all the basterd oven space.

WhatTheActualFugg Sat 24-Sep-16 07:30:34

Delia Smith's Christmas book (not necessarily the exact title) is great for ideas of what can be pre-made and frozen etc. There's a whole countdown and timetable of things to be done starting with the pudding months ahead. I live my Christmasses by Delia's rule!!

knockknockknockknock Sat 24-Sep-16 07:36:07

We always cook our turkey the day before and carve when cold (much easier to do) then warm it up (thoroughly of course) in the oven wrapped in foil on the day or even in the microwave. Absolutely no difference in quality and frees up so much oven space.

I also roast the pots and parsnips until nearly done early morning then reheat.

PosiePootlePerkins Sat 24-Sep-16 07:45:42

Yes I have pre roasted veg and then heated up in microwave. As a Pp said the key is to make sure they don't have much oil on them.

nooka Sat 24-Sep-16 08:00:26

I have the Mary Berry Christmas cookery book and she gives lots of advice as to what can be done in advance. Pre-cooking potatoes actually works really well, I think they are more crispy pre-cooked the day before and then wacked into a really hot oven when the roast comes out.

I wrap my roast up in tin foil and several towels as I don't have a good place to keep it warm, and then I have a good half hour to finish cooking pretty much everything else. Resting makes the bird/joint much more tender and juicy too. I'd not do parsnips and carrots in advance though, just cut them up smaller and par boil for a bit longer and then get them into a much hotter than usual over to crisp.

NotAPuffin Sat 24-Sep-16 15:53:04

I pre-roasted my spuds on christmas eve last year and bunged them in the oven for 10 or 15 minutes on the day. They were lovely and crisp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now