The need to clean the house from top to bottom before xmas!

(154 Posts)
BoozyBoots Wed 18-Dec-13 09:25:16

Does anyone else experience this?

I've even cleaned the oven & defrosted freezer!
I know at some point on xmas eve i'll be annoying the family with the hoover, putting clean sheets on beds etc, all for the house to be covered in food,wrapping paper, pine needles and god knows how many spilt drinks the next day.

Hedgehog80 Sun 22-Dec-13 21:04:28

My house is truly horrendous and I want it spotless and lovely for Christmas Day. Especially after going to db new house today which was beautiful and has given me a serious case of house envy.

I have got in and put some washing on, loaded dishwasher and wiped over kitchen work tops but dcs playing up so have stopped for a bit.tomorrow I am going to blitz the entire house.

Need to redo the tree as well due to 20 month old ds continuously taking baubles off the tree shouting "ball" and throwing them around, pulling the other decorations off and as I found today, replacing them with an odd sock belonging to dd2, a small black plastic dog, cereal bar wrapper and some baby wipes.

Really want to change all the bedding but with a king size bed, three singles and a cot I know it will take me ages.

Pollywallywinkles Sun 22-Dec-13 17:35:06

I've hardly stopped cleaning and sorting today.

Guest rooms and bathroom are now spotless. Kitchen is completely sorted, just need to make sure DH cleans up properly after he cooks.

Will finish of rest of house on Christmas Eve.

Rosieliveson Sun 22-Dec-13 17:26:35

Always get the urge for a deep clean before Christmas. I do it in June too so house gets a good scrub every 6 months - I also do clean in between of course grin

Bakerof3pudsxx Sun 22-Dec-13 17:24:06

Everything I did yesterday has been undone today

Lavenderhoney Sun 22-Dec-13 16:24:19

I'm going to whiz round and do it Christmas Eve as we have people coming, with babies and toddlers. Plus our dc will be up throwing stuff about early anyway.

Dh was so keen to tidy last year he threw all the wrapping away and some gifts by mistake. He had to go and rummage in the bins when we realised.

Dh has booked a cleaner for after Christmas to do a deep clean.

Bevanne25 Sun 22-Dec-13 08:10:30

I've taken holiday off work to clean and sort the house out, sad that I am. I would love to think that the family will help but that's not going to happen. So in between a snowball or two it should all be finished before Christmas lol

GiraffesAndButterflies Sun 22-Dec-13 00:33:52

Oven Pride is doing its stuff for me tonight. First time I've used it, hoping it's as magic as everyone says.

Anyfuckerisnotguilty Sat 21-Dec-13 22:18:20

I'd love to just not bother cleaning as like you say it's trashed do within mins

But I know I will anyway

I admire others that don't bother
V wise

MamaBear17 Sat 21-Dec-13 17:46:08

I love the pre Christmas clean! Im sad aren't I?

worley Sat 21-Dec-13 17:20:14

I cleaned bedrooms and bathroom last night.. The kitchen this morning and will do living room Tomorrow. We're going to my parents for Xmas dinner so won't even be here.. But I know it will be clean smile I do this before we go on holiday too.. So we come home to a nice clean house smile
I think it's my mother coming out in me!!

Altinkum Sat 21-Dec-13 17:08:14

I was doin this, this morning, I clean, bleach, Hoover and mop everyday and the toilets and kitchen get bleached to a inch of their life everyday too, howver this morning I was washing ds1 skirting boards and they were yellow (last glossed 5 year ago when he was born, so this morning I decided it all had to be done, so it's been glossed painted and new carpet will be laid soon, I brought new curtains and bedding, and I've ordered his pirate murial to collect on Monday, he's obsessed with pirates to when it's finished he will be over the moon.

firesidechat Sat 21-Dec-13 16:47:15

Honestly, what with husband's stress and all this endless Christmas preparation, saucy is way down the to do list. fsad

MoreThanChristmasCrackers Sat 21-Dec-13 16:37:01

Fireside

You saucy devil. You and dh doing the rug doctor, at this minute fgrin

firesidechat Sat 21-Dec-13 16:33:44

Not only have a cleaned the oven, fridge, freezer, kitchen shelves and doors, every surface in bathroom and loo, but husband and I are also, this very minute, doing the lounge carpet with a Rug Doctor.

Hangs head in shame.

MoreThanChristmasCrackers Sat 21-Dec-13 15:40:51

Today I am cleaning the oven, its soaking now.
Have also cleaned dining room carpet.
Finished wrapping and hidden them whilst dd isn't here.
Tonight I am steam cleaning floors, walls, tiles, and furniture.

Trying to keep busy as dd has concerts and dh has gigs, ds1 and ds2 are working too.

At least the house will be beautiful when I've finished.
Then they can all keep up with it until xmas fgrin

RiverRocks Sat 21-Dec-13 14:56:46

Having a Christmas cleaning breakdown - DP decided to 'help' by doing the vacuuming whilst I defrosted the freezer - cue blown up vacuum cleaner 2 days before guests due! Argh, why is it always me! fshock

Do = too

I have a solution to all clean clothes that need putting away that dp has been saying for the last 2 weeks he put away I look in the spare room and then closed the door grin

Cooker was done a few weeks ago
So just hoover dust flat clean kitchen clean bedding and towels do they need washing and put away chucked in spare room though I have just put on the three wash one towel and two dressing gowns a few odd white socks amd sure they will find their partner in the sock pile

Snowdown Sat 21-Dec-13 13:00:34

Not so much this year, we have no visitors! House we be in the same condition it is always in, mildly untidy.

I just read about a friend on FB who has spent this morning cleaning her utility room. You could tell that it isn't something she does every week. My utility room is the least of my worries! I haven't got past wondering how many loads of washing I can get in the machine today let alone worrying about tidying up the room afterwards. fhmm

Anyway, this cleaning up for Christmas thing is clearly v. widespread. Why do we do it to ourselves?! Why?!

gaelicsheep Sat 21-Dec-13 09:06:18

My oven is getting a pre-Christmas clean because my mother is coming.

TheRealAmandaClarke Sat 21-Dec-13 08:05:11

I clean my light switches most days tbh.

funnyperson Sat 21-Dec-13 07:46:42

One has to be careful. Inspired by a poncetastic magazine I washed the chintz curtains in the spare room last week. As this was the first time for .....15 years......the curtain hooks crumbled and the lining fell apart in the wash (having been held together by dust). I now have clean curtains with tattered linings and people to stay!

Bakerof3pudsxx Sat 21-Dec-13 07:42:24

This is my goal today

Depressing

funnyperson Sat 21-Dec-13 07:40:29

You are all forgetting to clean the light switches and behind the radiators.
I go round the house doing this (and skirtings and ceiling cobwebs and windows and the fronts of the kitchen units) and checking we have enough pillows. Ever since DC went to uni we never have enough pillows. For the last three years I have ended up buying more pillows.
The fridge is cleaned weekly anyway <smug>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now