It contains

Triathlons
Skiing
Mountain climbing
Ballet
Pets
Smallholding
Surfing

It was even delivered by email, not because they are hard up, but because they are greener than the likes of us.

I feel I may have had my Christmas climax a bit early!

LadyBiscuit Mon 13-Dec-10 17:56:43

I used to get one from someone which was unbelievably smug and then the family were (very sadly) beset by a series of terrible tragedies and they stopped sending them. Let that be a lesson to the Round Robiners

hmmSleep Mon 13-Dec-10 17:57:12

Usualsuspect, I used to have a boss whose Dh did that, it's not a bit 'private eye' like is it?

PonceyMcPonce Mon 13-Dec-10 17:57:38

Wow, there is harmless wankery and then pags story!

30andMerkin Mon 13-Dec-10 17:59:55

Oh jaysus. I wrote mine last night blush.

In my defence, it is fairly tongue in cheek and its sole purpose is to demonstrate to my family - who never leave a 5 mile radius from where there were born - that I actually have a life am quite busy, and therefore will not make a 250-mile round trip every weekend to listen to my uncle talk about his wierd medical neuroses.

It contains 3-4 things from Poncey's list.

Should I send it, or burn it?

SpringHeeledJack Mon 13-Dec-10 18:00:34

it would be v mumsnet to send a grim-yet- smug Round Robin, no?

eg we could boast about how long it's taken us to eke out a sack of chickpeas, and how we made the bag into Christmas tree decorations afterwards

thereisthesnowball Mon 13-Dec-10 18:01:01

30 - post it and we will judge

ruddynorah Mon 13-Dec-10 18:01:46

My step mother sends one out...weekly. it all started when her and my dad went to live in France for a few years. But she still does it, now they live in lancashire.

30andMerkin Mon 13-Dec-10 18:02:32

Argh! thereis should've seen that coming grin Am not brave enough, no way!!

<runs away and hides under Christmas tree>

minipen Mon 13-Dec-10 18:02:33

oh yes 30 we can have a new mumsnet jury round roby to send or not, you may await the verdict wink

pagwatch Mon 13-Dec-10 18:04:30

Sorry poncey. I did piss on the harmless mocking didn't I... blush

hockeypuck Mon 13-Dec-10 18:06:34

I hate hate hate them, but weirdly love them because I get to hate them!

I've had two so far, one from family, glossing over the fact that their terribly --over-mothered-- son has dropped out of uni by talking about the great things he may do in the future.

The other from old school friends who put in photos of their ginger beautiful DCs in bridesmaid outfits as an open call-out in case anyone wished to use their services in the future. Crass beyond belief.

I wrote a little essay on the back of the card (hand-written) about how much more successful I, my DH and my DCs were than hers and mentioned that they'd been bridesmaids already. I really enjoyed writing that grin

30andMerkin Mon 13-Dec-10 18:06:54

Have just re-read it.

It has some amusing pet-related anecdotes.

And a self-deprecating paragraph on some of the nice things that happened to us this year.

And a hilarious tale from our foreign holiday.

Am of to do myself a mischief with a paring knife, and thereby save myself from the shame.

Nice knowing you all.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Mon 13-Dec-10 18:06:56

ruddynorah - every week?

FFS

moid Mon 13-Dec-10 18:07:03

My cousin and wife always sends out christmas cards with pictures of them, yeuch but acceptable.

My favourite was one year they at the same event gave my parents the 2006 model and at then gave us one from the previous year which was dated christmas 2005, crossed out 2006. And the picture on the front they had chosen was one they had taken at my wedding.... grin

Classy, and yes they were drawing down over £300K between them.

I get a note from my Grandma every Christmas in her card which generally reads...

My arthritis is worse this year but then so's the weather. Another school friend died this week. Paper didn't mention if it was weather related but it can't have helped. I'm surprised I'm still alive really. What with the downstairs problems and the arthritis and the weather, I expect death's imminent. Oh well. I don't complain. Happy Christmas. See you in the new year. Weather and health permitting.

Cheery innit?

SpringHeeledJack Mon 13-Dec-10 18:07:15

<hisses>

Hully, was it Lady Helen 'Melons' Windsor?

SpringHeeledJack Mon 13-Dec-10 18:08:00

don't for God's sake do anything silly

...at least post it first

grin

SpringHeeledJack Mon 13-Dec-10 18:08:54

he he heee at Nana's Round Robin

PonceyMcPonce Mon 13-Dec-10 18:09:28

Ah 30, you know the spirit of your rr.

I appreciate a bit of darkness pag.

waitwhat Mon 13-Dec-10 18:13:18

My boss writes her family's rr from the family dogs point of view. Its one of the most anticipated Christmas event. I die laughing every year

Oh gawd, a family friend takes his rat on a lead dog for a portrait each year, complete with new velvet cushion and festive outfit, has it made into cards and signs it using the dog's formal name. Lady Marchismo de Pedigree Chummus or summat. I say it's a cry for help. The dog's eyes scream 'get me the feck out of here and let me chase a rabbit'.

nancydrewrockinaroundxmastree Mon 13-Dec-10 18:17:28

unpure I have the same conversation with my grandmother everytime I call her. She has refused to buy a new coat for the last ten years because "it's hardly worth it" and when I told her I was pregnant her response was "well I'll have to stay alive now". I kid you not. Love her!

pagwatch Mon 13-Dec-10 18:18:59

Rofl at 'well I'll have to stay alive now'

going Mon 13-Dec-10 18:19:52

I got one for the people who used to live here -

The woman who writes is in her 50's. SHe had a hysterectomy this year, her dog nearly died and her son had another baby (also had one last year) unfortunately he has split from his girlfriend and is not allowed any access to see his children anymore. Not thing I would really want to tell people who don't even care enough to mention they moved 6 years ago!

We must be related. Every exciting event (grandma we're getting married/having a baby/buying a house) is met with 'oh I'll be dead by then'.

She's Alan Bennett's finest come to life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now