Brilliant women you admire

(42 Posts)
ElephantsAndMiasmas Tue 23-Mar-10 01:12:25

Thought it might be nice to have a thread to celebrate the women, past or present, who have achieved great things (conventionally "great" or not), and who inspire you.

Most of mine are writers, but I have to put in a word for Ada Lovelace, who invented computer programming (and thus, eventually, MN grin).

Also, Malalai Joya, an Afghan campaigner for women's rights and other human rights. She stands up to the warlords fearlessly, in a way that no-one else (even our own government with their own army) does. Profile in the Independent here

Who do you admire, and why?

MinnieMalone Sun 28-Mar-10 21:28:50

Oh, all of these. Rosa Parks and the fabulous Malalai Joya both huge ones for me.

[[ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/4985076/Lets-inspire-the-next-generation-of-scientists.html Maggie Aderin-Pocock]] is a recent discovery. Inspirational space scientist and generally super dooper clever woman.

MinnieMalone Sun 28-Mar-10 21:29:36
Granny23 Sun 28-Mar-10 21:59:45

I was going to nominate all the woman who are or were Women's Aid workers particularly in the early days of the movement. But on consideration I nominate the thousands of brave, determined women who have successfully managed to extricate themselves and, most importantly, their children from abusive relationships, providing not only inspiration to the Women's Aid workers and other women embarking on the same perilous journey but living, real, defiant proof that male dominance or abuse will not be tolerated.

CastleDouglas Sun 28-Mar-10 23:02:17

Helen Suzman, for her effort on behalf of all disenfranchised South Africans, and her promulgation (sp?) of womens' rights in RSA.

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/01/helen-suzman

For anyone interested, her memoirs 'In No Uncertain Terms' in worth a read.

CastleDouglas Sun 28-Mar-10 23:03:32

That should have read as 'disenfranchised South Africans in the apartheid era'. Duh!

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 28-Mar-10 23:04:43

Jo Brand and Joan Bakewell are my two favourite women in the public eye.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 29-Mar-10 00:49:57

So glad this thread was revived, I've just spent a fascinating half hour reading up on all these wonderful people.

LeninGrad Mon 29-Mar-10 17:01:14

Martina Navratilova, and Billie-Jean King for that matter. Not easy to have been out then.

banned861 Sun 17-Mar-13 11:23:36

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

doyouwantfrieswiththat Sun 17-Mar-13 22:26:52
PretzelTime Sun 17-Mar-13 23:24:14

Hmm, this thread is 3 years old. Why do the trolls bump such old threads?

On topic I have to say I'm immensively grateful for the hard work of all the suffragettes.

Childrenofthestones Mon 18-Mar-13 00:55:04

LittlePushka Tue 23-Mar-10 01:26:20
Ellen McArthur...because she knows about dreams, adversity, risk, terror and tenacity , she is interesting, self- depracting, driven and she just gets on with it...totally.

had I not bore sons, I'd have named a daughter after her

I had a daughter and did.
But my nomination is Erin Prizzey and brave and principled woman.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 18-Mar-13 01:37:55

Ooh I missed this thread first time round. It's a goodie.

runningforthebusinheels Tue 19-Mar-13 07:51:42

bump

FreudiansSlipper Tue 19-Mar-13 08:05:50

Maya Angelou

I know why the cadged bird sings is a must read

CarnivorousPanda Wed 20-Mar-13 21:34:23

Marie Curie. Won the Nobel prize twice.

Elizabeth the First. Assembled a brilliant court. Highly intelligent, showed a woman could rule effectively.

Hilary Clinton high profile, influential politician.

EldritchCleavage Wed 20-Mar-13 21:39:47

Gareth Pierce. Solicitor who has taken on the cases of the unpopular, the demonised, the apparently completely guilty and fought them hard, exposing miscarriages of justice in the process.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now