From heavy snow to heavy rain and gales

(161 Posts)

met office warnings

Once again the west seems most likely to suffer flooding. Heavy rain sweeps the country tonight and then again Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday also sees gales for many especially southern coastal counties.

Labradorlover Mon 04-Feb-13 08:13:38

We have a snow warning for East Scotland, but no wind warning......even though we've already had gusts of 48mph.
Was awake last night and heard the shipping forrecast, lots of violent storm 11's and a hurricane 12, NW of Scotland.

Not a problem. It def takes several pairs of eyes to keep an eye on this weather lark grin and I've been a bit distracted this weekend with my new Rubik's cube

mumat39 Mon 04-Feb-13 00:23:52

Hi OYBBK. I only posted those links on here as I knew you'd give us your take on things. The bbc weather report mentioned gale force winds in Scotland, and that the snow elsewhere would turn into rain by the morning.

I have no idea if that's right, but I hope there isn't too much damage to people's homes and properties and that people manage to stay safe.

When I checked your link to the met office earlier in the day it was still just with the wind warnings. I checked later in the day and was wondering what ou thought. So, thank you again, for all your help. thanks

Ok, yup, seems this evening that there is enhanced potential for tomorrow and indeed Tuesday. Not just for the aforementioned areas but more widespread snow showers on Tuesday too. Good spot mumat.

Now that's interesting! The warnings extend into the north west and parts of Yorkshire and the NE as well as Scotland. GFS has it as too warm at first glance for much of those areas. Will need to have a further look.

mumat39 Sun 03-Feb-13 14:13:03

Also a cold weather alert. here

mumat39 Sun 03-Feb-13 14:07:52

Met office have issued snow warnings for Monday.

here

digerd Sun 03-Feb-13 09:50:34

Or goats, but they would eat all my plants as well. Just checked my Camelia, at least this cold weather will keep it dormant., and they love the rainwater.
Snow keeps plants protected from the frost, so it has it's uses.
Dry so far here.

Digerd you need guineapigs!

Maybe some sleet and snow showers about on Tuesday. Nothing too bad showing though. However for Scotland tomorrow is mor of a concern.
weather warnings including severe gales and with sleet and snow showers this could lead to blizzard conditions at time. Worst area; north west Scotland.

digerd Sun 03-Feb-13 08:55:46

South Herts
minus 1 last night, no frost though. Grass looks rather lush and in need of a mowing already <quizzical and peeved face>. +1 now and grey skies.

digerd Sat 02-Feb-13 18:36:38

Just put the heating up 1 degree - +3 out already. What will it go down to tonight?

PigletJohn Sat 02-Feb-13 17:44:30

south coast - sunny but cold wind

we might get a few days without rain.

digerd Sat 02-Feb-13 15:27:01

South Herts
Clouded over now and +5 but feels like -5 in that bitter wind which stings my cheeks. Little dog doesn't care, but we went home after just 15 minutes as I 'd had enough. < feeling guilty for little dog>

We woke to a light dusting of snow which has melted away now smile

digerd Sat 02-Feb-13 11:43:32

South Herts
We didn't get sleet yesterday, drizzle first thing, but night temp went down to 3. Brightened up about mid day. bright with sun today, but very cold wind. 2 degrees in the night last night so getting colder.
+7, but feeling much colder, and not even the sun warms you up.

LillethTheCat Sat 02-Feb-13 11:30:07

DH told me it was going to snow on Tues. Ive just checked on the Met Office website and one place near me says light snow Mon night, but nothing on Tues. The other place near me has no mention of snow at all. So I going to go with that.

DH also reckons its going to snow again round about 20th Feb. I hope not as its half term and Ive got to take the DCs places that are a drive away.

I know its too early to tell just yet, but do we have any idea what the weather is likely to do over half term? Any predictions?

I am driving from Edinburgh to Aberdeen today, coming home Monday. My mum reports snow and has been on the phone asking if I'm still going! There is nothing here, but am I going to get stuck coming home?

Only real risk is tomorrow for parts of the NE perhaps. Not looking too dramatic at the moment. Eastern Scotland maybe Monday night.

Anything more about the light snow forecast, kitten?

LostInWales Thu 31-Jan-13 21:17:51

I have proper rattly old sash windows and ill fitting doors for the perfect stormy night effect!

It sounds pretty dramatic!

LostInWales Thu 31-Jan-13 20:23:06

I must have just missed it, changed at 1930. Never mind, it was very interesting weather to wake up to! Dog had jumped the gate and was running round upstairs looking for someone to cuddle and my curtains were blowing in nearly to the horizontal! Had to sleep with the window closed for the first time in ages. Really squally anyway, I think there were some roofs of a little further south! Lovely but windy morning then, perfect for a bracing walk on the beach.

Cant find anything, but it was an occluded weather front that came through that organised itself into a squall line - some convective action in your area.

surface pressure chart shows you the culprit at 00Z just approaching.

lostinwales. I'm not sure that you can grab old radar images easily. I'll have a look and see if I can find anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now