From heavy snow to heavy rain and gales

(161 Posts)

met office warnings

Once again the west seems most likely to suffer flooding. Heavy rain sweeps the country tonight and then again Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday also sees gales for many especially southern coastal counties.

digerd Sun 03-Feb-13 08:55:46

South Herts
minus 1 last night, no frost though. Grass looks rather lush and in need of a mowing already <quizzical and peeved face>. +1 now and grey skies.

Digerd you need guineapigs!

Maybe some sleet and snow showers about on Tuesday. Nothing too bad showing though. However for Scotland tomorrow is mor of a concern.
weather warnings including severe gales and with sleet and snow showers this could lead to blizzard conditions at time. Worst area; north west Scotland.

digerd Sun 03-Feb-13 09:50:34

Or goats, but they would eat all my plants as well. Just checked my Camelia, at least this cold weather will keep it dormant., and they love the rainwater.
Snow keeps plants protected from the frost, so it has it's uses.
Dry so far here.

mumat39 Sun 03-Feb-13 14:07:52

Met office have issued snow warnings for Monday.

here

mumat39 Sun 03-Feb-13 14:13:03

Also a cold weather alert. here

Now that's interesting! The warnings extend into the north west and parts of Yorkshire and the NE as well as Scotland. GFS has it as too warm at first glance for much of those areas. Will need to have a further look.

Ok, yup, seems this evening that there is enhanced potential for tomorrow and indeed Tuesday. Not just for the aforementioned areas but more widespread snow showers on Tuesday too. Good spot mumat.

mumat39 Mon 04-Feb-13 00:23:52

Hi OYBBK. I only posted those links on here as I knew you'd give us your take on things. The bbc weather report mentioned gale force winds in Scotland, and that the snow elsewhere would turn into rain by the morning.

I have no idea if that's right, but I hope there isn't too much damage to people's homes and properties and that people manage to stay safe.

When I checked your link to the met office earlier in the day it was still just with the wind warnings. I checked later in the day and was wondering what ou thought. So, thank you again, for all your help. thanks

Not a problem. It def takes several pairs of eyes to keep an eye on this weather lark grin and I've been a bit distracted this weekend with my new Rubik's cube

Labradorlover Mon 04-Feb-13 08:13:38

We have a snow warning for East Scotland, but no wind warning......even though we've already had gusts of 48mph.
Was awake last night and heard the shipping forrecast, lots of violent storm 11's and a hurricane 12, NW of Scotland.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now