From heavy snow to heavy rain and gales

(161 Posts)

met office warnings

Once again the west seems most likely to suffer flooding. Heavy rain sweeps the country tonight and then again Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday also sees gales for many especially southern coastal counties.

Tis blowing up a right old gale here on the south coast on Cornwall. Fishermen didn't go out this morning so I thought it might be like this. Lots and lots of rain, big surf and very gusty. Picking up more now the day's drawing in. DH is supposed to be driving up country tonight but I think he might not bother now as the A38 is awful in high wind.

This seems worse than the reports I've seen so far OYBBK on BBC and others? Do you think it'll get worse down here or start to fade tonight?

pepperrabbit Mon 28-Jan-13 17:15:10

It's got very wet and wild here over the last hour or so, gusts rather than steady wind but getting quite noisy. BBC says this is the worst bit for us and it should ease, I think the south coast was supposed to get a bit more sustained bad weather from the forecast I saw at lunchtime?
(NE Hants here)

Gusts have been quite consistent here in south Devon since about 2pm, the rain is lashing down and DS1 was blown across pavements and the tree at the back of us is bending over quite a bit. Give me snow over this any day!

Ugh, DH is now talking about getting in the car this evening and driving up. He's got to go almost all the way to London. Then back again tomorrow late afternoon. I really don't want him to go, he's exhausted and the weather is foul and I need him back here in one piece for our youngest to go into hospital on Wednesday morning, grr and sad.

Howling gale outside here in Suffolk now! I took Bdog into the wood this afternoon and the enormous flood that i posted the pic of yesterday has now gone!!

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 17:34:56

Wind is getting more ferocious and can hear it from indoors now. And raining more. SE

It is quite loud out there! I can hear the sea roaring and the waves crashing on the shoreline. I have no windows open. On our top floor where we have no double glazing it's like being out at sea, especially with the lighthouse flashing on the horizon. Quite cool really. If only I could persuade DH to not go out driving in it though hmm

starfish, I think it will ease off for a bit then blow a real hoolie tomorrow morning.

pepper, tomorrow evening will be similar I think.

Solent weather station is showing 43mph with gusts of 54.

The house is shuddering - I hate wind more than any other weather feature.

It is supposed to be easing later. Blimming well hope so. I keep thinking something is going to fall off.

~`,°. °`~. °.~'` °. °. °.`.~
.°~. °`.. °.~ °. `.`°~.`'. °.
~°~.~ <<))) ) )hmm °.`.~

oldsilver Mon 28-Jan-13 19:22:13

It's been quite quiet here today - the wind and rain picked up around 3.15, yep school kicking out time but then went off. Definitely not as bad as it's been the last couple of nights though. We even had sun this morning shock

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 19:22:40

Still raining steadily but wind died down for now. 8.9 degrees. At least the rain will keep night temps mild.
SE.

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 20:09:32

Oooh
The temperature's rising < wasn't that in a song called Tropical Heatwave?>
9.5 now. SE

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Jan-13 20:51:48

'The temperature's rising' wasn't that 'It's Raining Men'? grin

I am beside myself at the prospect of 13 WHOLE DEGREES tomorrow. Shorts and t shirt I think.

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 21:01:52

Kitten said it would feel colder due to the wind. So if you want to tan your goosepimples, go for it, <grin face> Is it to be sunny again, then?

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Jan-13 21:05:08

You may be right digerd. i will take one layer off instead. grin

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Jan-13 21:05:57

Just checked. Light rain and 13 degrees. sad

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 21:23:47

Sparkling
Found the song Heat Wave, on you tube. Showing my age here. It was from the film musical There's No Business Like Show Business, with Marilyn Monroe singing it. Words
We're having a heat wave, a tropical heatwave
The temperature's rising, it isn't surprising
You certainly can, Can Can
Pity the video is of bad quality. Some really good male dancers
How I remember these things from decades ago, but can't remember things from a few days ago < peeved face>

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Jan-13 21:32:26

grin digerd. I forgot It's Raining Men wasn't originally by Geri Halliwell.

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 21:43:49

I only know the singers of the songs we dance to - at the moment- Olly Murs Trouble Maker is the latest and my favourite and also Come Dance With me Tonight, last year. Also Black Heart by Sooshe.
They did use It's raining Men for an old dance, but it made it too fast for me so didn't do it. < poor old thing me>

mumat39 Mon 28-Jan-13 22:13:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumat39 Mon 28-Jan-13 22:26:34

Oh bloody hell. Posted this in the wrong thread! Sorry! Having a doolally moment! blush

Can you tell I'm trying to lose weight!

grin mumat!

today's warnings

Main concerns are:
the SW where for some flooding unfortunately seems very likely (once again)

Nw Scotland where storm to severe storm force winds are expected.

No signs of proper cold returning through to mid feb.

digerd Tue 29-Jan-13 07:44:30

Temp. did not drop over night and stayed at +9. At least the large refuse lorry just been down our small cul-de sac- they gave it a miss last week.

All calm outside atm.

mumat39 Tue 29-Jan-13 10:47:25

MNHQ, thank you and sorry for adding to your workload.

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now