From heavy snow to heavy rain and gales

(161 Posts)

met office warnings

Once again the west seems most likely to suffer flooding. Heavy rain sweeps the country tonight and then again Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday also sees gales for many especially southern coastal counties.

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 07:08:40

Very disappointing as last night went down to only +1, after yesterday's+7 and +10 at this time in the morning. It was only a freak "one off" then. Was looking forward to a few days of spring. We did get to +12 yesterday and sunny. < did I dream it?
Should be grateful we don't have floods here < telling myself off >
>

Best place to be this week is central England, which will have the most dry interludes.
South seems to be the wettest (esp SW)
Generally becoming a windy day today, gales in the SE later.
Wednesday gusting to 70+mph in the nw Scotland.

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Jan-13 07:39:40

Ooh Central England you say OYBBK? <drags BBQ out of the shed>

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 07:47:05

South Herts
It's light now and I can see a clear sky - hoping for another sunny day?
Still only +1 though.

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 07:48:16

No wind atm

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 07:49:26

Oh, I see Kitten says later in the day for SE < grimace face>

Lol sparkling! Wait til Wednesday and then you might be able to dodge the showers!

Good luck to your camellia digerd!

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Jan-13 09:22:22

OYBBK the roads were very strange this morning. Really icy, I was sliding about worse than I have ever been but you couldn't see the ice.. But the temperature is 2 degrees-scary. I think people will be caught out TBH.

pepperrabbit Mon 28-Jan-13 09:27:27

We have the same sort of thing sparkling, it must have been cold last night as I heard people scraping their cars this morning early on, but on the way to school the puddles were water, but the pavement was really slippery in places. That was a surprise and luckily I was holding DDs hand as her feet slid straight out from under her.

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Jan-13 09:29:42

The first time the car went I was really shocked pepper, it looked fine. sad I wasn't expecting it.

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 10:00:58

"Black Ice," probably, as you can't see it. Sun has been out for a while, but hazy now . Sensor out says +6 but it feels much colder.
My Camelia is well and truly wedged between heavy bags of wet compost, another pot< got loads, some with dead plants in them> and the green wheely bin. So keeping fingers crossed it will not be blown over in the gales if/when they come. Thanks Kitten. Did it yesterday in my sunny +12 weather.
< sweet memories>

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 13:18:06

Sout Herts
Sun and blue sky all gone now , been gone a while. 8c outside and skies light grey.

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Jan-13 13:21:20

Suns all gone, the wind has got up. And it's just bleak and miserable now. sad

pepperrabbit Mon 28-Jan-13 13:42:17

<puts away snow boots, extracts waterproof trousers and rain hat from coat cupboard, gives up on hair for another week>
I have just about, at the age of 43, got an outfit for every type of school run weather, but I am worried my rain hat will blow off hmm

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Jan-13 13:43:44

Mr local BBC says it's going to pour down all afternoon. sad

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Jan-13 13:44:26

12 degrees tomorrow. shock

pepperrabbit Mon 28-Jan-13 13:50:52

<searches for emergency sun hat>

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 13:51:39

South Herts
Not raining here yet, but after my afternoon kip from 2-3pm , after which I take little dog for a walk, it'll probably be pouring down. Definiely got darker in my house.

sparkling, it was the same here with the ice. nasty.
All gloomy and damp here now.

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Jan-13 13:59:06

There was a smash on the motorway and it gridlocked all the surrounding roads. Then there were accidents on those.I imagine it was the black ice. sad

Suns trying to shine a bit now.

pepperrabbit Mon 28-Jan-13 14:08:09

Not sure exactly where you are sparkling but just spotted this
about the black ice.

Sparklingbrook Mon 28-Jan-13 14:13:42

I am Worcestershire pepper, but thanks for the link. Scary stuff.

It is soooo cold here! Not sure what the exact temp is as I have small children draped over me so can't go and look, but the wind is biting!
I really hope it does get up to +12 tomorrow, it will feel like spring grin

nasty sad
I dont think the 12C will make much of a difference tomorrow, with the wind strength (and the rain) it is going to feel much colder.

small patch of amber warnings tomorrow in amongst the yellow warnings.

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 15:45:50

South Herts
It was drizzling at 2pm but at 3pm < when I reluctantly got out from under duvet as so warm after my hour's doze> it had stopped. Wind is increasing though. +8 degrees but feels colder..
So tomorrow will be a cold +12? Today I was back in my snow clothes for walking little dog and my ears felt toasty warm in my scarfed hat. Bought it 30 years ago for Germany but was not warm enough for their winters, just right for ours though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now