From heavy snow to heavy rain and gales

(161 Posts)

met office warnings

Once again the west seems most likely to suffer flooding. Heavy rain sweeps the country tonight and then again Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday also sees gales for many especially southern coastal counties.

digerd Sun 27-Jan-13 09:53:01

OOOH, 09.53 and sun out again and sky looking very promising, like yesterday.

digerd Sun 27-Jan-13 10:10:20

ps
South Herts 10 degrees

Looks like quite a squally and at times very wet few days.

Monday - the rain arrives in the far west around lunchtime, bringing with it strong and at times gale force winds.

By Tuesday evening every where wet. In the early hours it dries out a bit before the next fronts arrive to give quite a complex situation. See 12:00 tuesday
Rain in the south, moving in from the sw and rapidly pretty much everywhere will have rain again. Strong winds, especially along south coasts.

Wednesday rain or showers for both Scotland and southern England, becoming scattered as the day goes on but remaining very windy, perhaps gales-severe gales for northern Scotland.

Timings for above are incredibly approximate!!!

Yay digerd, you may get your 12C smile

LillethTheCat Sun 27-Jan-13 10:19:33

Im partly glad to see the snow go, just wish it wasn't because of lots of rain. We have a new carpet and now drying the dog off after a walk is going to be a nightmare due to the swamp that will be in the fields angry At least the snow/frozen ground he didn't get too muddy. Oh well can't do anything about it.

Hope those prone to flooding get through it ok with not too much damage or disruption.

digerd Sun 27-Jan-13 10:31:47

Yep. Can't believe I will get what I want. But fate being as it is, I got something I didn't want - my little dog is off colour and has just been sick. < worried face> And her nose is dry.< even more worried>

digerd Sun 27-Jan-13 11:14:15

Just taken little dog out on the river bank and no sign of being off colour anymore. Full of beans, infact. Phew, relief.
Bit blowy but not cold - nice to get the cob webs blown out of my system!

That's good news digerd smile

Just been out in my garden for a bit of a winter tidy up. snow drops are pushing through and the winter flowering hellebores I planted last year has beautiful flowers smile got my washing drying on the line. Lovely!

digerd Sun 27-Jan-13 13:28:08

I have had several years of Hellebores, blooming profusely, < in a pot> but this year I can just see new shoots coming up and the rest have died. Must have got pot bound. <sad face>. Note to potter about on a nice spring day and take the dead ones out to save the only surviving one - or/and buy some new ones.
Mine were the double ones.

lljkk Sun 27-Jan-13 13:33:46

So bizarre to see GREEN gardens & fields again!! (East Norfolk).
Sunny and almost balmy here.

Tigerbomb Sun 27-Jan-13 16:02:44

Had a night of rain and all the snow was gone this morning

A really blustery day. Plenty of sun and have managed to dry 3 loads of washing this morning, I have not been able to do that for a while

Tigerbomb Sun 27-Jan-13 16:03:12

Oh forgot to say where - Black Country

LottieJenkins Sun 27-Jan-13 16:55:48

I posted on the other thread, our church organist had to drive from Halesworth to our church (Suffolk) She said that the river halfway had breached its banks and it was like driving through a river! shock I took Bumbledog out earlier this afternoon and in twenty years of walking through the wood in the village i have never seen a flood like the one i walked through! I thought i was either going to lose a) my wellies or far worse b) bdog! The river was running really fast too and Bumble wanted to jump into the four foot deep ditch too which i denied him the pleasure of!! grin

digerd Sun 27-Jan-13 18:08:23

How scary for you.
I have a canal at the back of me, but it is regulated by the waterboard, and has been very low during the snow, but has got no higher with the thaw.
A little farther away on the other side is the River Lea, but we have never experienced flooding here. South Herts , Thames Valley area.

We had to drive through a bit of a flood to get to IL's today, have never seen that road flooded before shock
It was higher on the way back and there was a bloke broken down who had just come through it so I thankfully persuaded DH to turn round and drive the long way back grin

oldsilver Sun 27-Jan-13 19:33:42

Oooooooooo thunder starting grin I love a good storm smile

Been nice and sunny - that wind has been biting though - with the odd downpour, it's building up to something though...

LottieJenkins Sun 27-Jan-13 19:50:36

Pics of flood and the river nearby on my profile now!

KelleStar Sun 27-Jan-13 19:56:17

I heard thunder a minute ago, made the doors rattle, was worried we were having an earthquake grin. Went out the front, huge flash of lightning and 47 heffalumps later a great crack of thunder. Must be somewhere over Bristol. Was really loud, so must be intense wherever it is.

Lottie, how scary! Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Local streams running very high here.

I just saw on fb TORROS interest in the storm out Bristol way. If you are on fb I recommend hunting them down and 'liking' them. It can be quite a good heads up for interesting storms.

Met office have updated their warnings to now include wind warnings for Scotland on Wednesday.

oldsilver Sun 27-Jan-13 20:09:27

It's quiet out there now, but yes, that thunder was really loud.

MrsRoss26 Sun 27-Jan-13 20:17:50

The thunder was ear-shattering here in Bristol. Hail started falling down our chimney, very glad it's passed.

KelleStar Sun 27-Jan-13 20:29:27

not sure what TORROS is but I'm getting some funny fb search results smile

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 27-Jan-13 20:35:25

The hail in South Wales at the moment is very impressive!

TORRO is the Tornado and Storm Research organisation. smile they research severe weather in the UK and also produce severe weather forecasts.

digerd Sun 27-Jan-13 21:35:59

Oh no, temp outside is only +4 with a clear sky. And feels much colder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now