TAKE ACTION! What should we all be doing to prepare for the snow?

(62 Posts)

I have been very busy, I have got the snow shovel out of the shed. grin

Anyone got any tips though?

Apologies to all who have already been deluged but please join in.

digerd Fri 18-Jan-13 12:34:16

My male neighbour,< 70 this year and as fit as a fiddle> has cleared his short driveway and front path and put grit down, but looks very wet. Don't know if he put salt down as well. The last 2 years he has done mine as well, but not today, I have just noticed. I am younger than him but nowhere near as strong and fit. I've just been out walking the dog < not for long>, but was not slippery.

stealthsquiggle Fri 18-Jan-13 10:44:42

zena - depends where you live, but on virgin snow (so not compressed) my DC have found the inflatable ring sledge disappointing. If you live somewhere where there are enough children to get a nice compacted fast slope going, then it will be fantastic.

AngryFeet Fri 18-Jan-13 10:38:09

I will be doing nothing. My normal weekly shop should be delivered at 1pm (fingers crossed) then I will pick the kids up from school and stay at home all weekend. I have lots of cleaning and decluttering to do due to imminent house move so was planning to stay home anyway. Now I can chuck the kids in the garden for most of the day and enjoy the peace smile

zenaprincesswarrior Fri 18-Jan-13 10:28:26

Get a new sledge! Getting an inflatable ring one for the kids found here smile

stealthsquiggle Thu 17-Jan-13 21:57:06

I may need to go and find my Calvin and Hobbes books grin

Unfortunately, the DC and I can generally only keep our tempers with each other for long enough to make very conventional snowmen.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 17-Jan-13 21:55:26

Nothing. grin

determinedma Thu 17-Jan-13 21:45:48

You're welcome grin

Thanks for your input determined most helpful.

determinedma Thu 17-Jan-13 21:33:25

Do nothing. Its only snow ffs and will be gone in a few days!

We had one go past us on the main road earlier! Nothing to plough so it must have been getting in to position.

digerd Thu 17-Jan-13 20:30:57

What's a snow plough? Only seen them in Germany, but never here. South Herts. Wish I'd bought more stuff last Saturday from corner shop as I am on foot.

PoppyWearer Thu 17-Jan-13 19:46:43

<adds plums to shopping list>

I am having a go at this for definite. <ambitious>

Love Calvin and Hobbes doyou. grin

doyouwantfrieswiththat Thu 17-Jan-13 18:26:09
nannynick Thu 17-Jan-13 18:15:20

Plan a design for a creative snow feature - last year some children built an igloo, it was still recognisable a week later as their 'blocks' took ages to melt.

Anyone got any plans to build anything out of snow other than a snowman (with or without bollocks)

What would be good to make snowman bollocks out of Poppy? Couple of plums? Would look fab and give the neighbours something to tut about. grin

PoppyWearer Thu 17-Jan-13 17:52:02

grin

Although I would be quite the talking point of the naice street we live in if I did!

No need to give the snowman bollocks Poppy. <arf>

PoppyWearer Thu 17-Jan-13 17:46:34

Carrots, bollocks, knew there was something!

don't put grit down now - wait till it's snowed, then shovel it away and grit the ice underneath, if there is any

nickelbabe Thu 17-Jan-13 17:10:50

phew!!! i was worried grin

Everyone got carrots for snowman's nose?

I think meditrina means blowing them up and putting them over your head nickel. then settling down with a book. grin

XBenedict Thu 17-Jan-13 17:08:16

Sledges ready, giant marbles prepped, snow boots ready - we're ready to go!!

Bring the chickens in overnight. wink

Has anyone bought any of that stuff to chuck on the drive? I have table salt as usual. grin Apparently cat litter doesn't do the job very well and makes a huge mess.

I have got the sledges out. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now