Severe gales in SE overnight - please heed!

(96 Posts)

Just saw the met office forecast for wind along the SE coast in around 3am on their map. 78mph! That is certainly of damaging strength, both to trees and structurally.

Take down or at least remove nets from trampolines and weight them down! Sort out those dodgy fences and tuck your wheelie bins away!

met office warnings

I'm not going to be around this morning, please bump. Cos it could save some people a lot of hassle.

forevergreek Sun 25-Nov-12 10:46:52

London here, didn't hear anything so must have slept through it!

You're welcome jenai smile

PrincessSymbian Sun 25-Nov-12 10:22:35

Slept through it! Cannot see any damage where I am but the view is very limited!

JenaiMathis Sun 25-Nov-12 10:12:17

Yes, thank you kitten )

Bbc reporting qe2 bridge is closed due to high winds. Please check before travelling!

Chalk is slippy when it's wet!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 25-Nov-12 09:34:49

It was very, very windy where we are n the South Coast! Started about 2am, it looks lovely out there now, sunny and everythinghmm

I went running in the South Downs yesterday and the ground was the wettest I have ever known it! The ground was so wet, I was just running through standing water, even on the chalky bits where drainage is normally good. Proper pea souper too, couldn't see a thing!

Thank you kitten smile I barely slept last might with all the racket and I was panicking the rabbit hutch would blow over even though it's really heavy. Glad it's going to settle down smile

Where'smycaffeine, it's going to gradually ease down through the day.

It was really loud and gusty during the night and several neighbours have lost fence panels or wheelie bins. Off to the beach soon to see if the road's passable! grin

I really feel for the people who've been evacuated due to flooding. sad

It's funny how a bit of shelter locally can make all the difference smile

Several years ago we had gales like this and Wilf was nearly killed.......shock
I had decided to go and see my friend and her daughter and had promised Jo biscuits! Wilf was about five and in his major buggy. When i got to the edge of the road i remembered the biscuits and tucked the buggy into the gap between the road and my drive. As i got back to my front door i heard a terrific bang and Wilf started laughing......hmm
When i dashed back to him i found one of the really heavy (not dimpled) bin lids beside the buggy............The wind had picked it up and frisbied it across the road!!! That was one of Wilfs nine lives gone and I didnt stop shaking for hours........

I'm in buckinghanshire how windy is it supposed to get today? Anyone know?

monstermissy Sun 25-Nov-12 09:18:01

Im in Norfolk, it sounds awful out there but im in bed with a cuppa. Must of started up in the early hours. Very windy!

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sun 25-Nov-12 09:12:25

Well, you certainly got it right here OYBBK. I think my place nearly ended up even nearer to you!! The wind was MAD from about 1.30, it was whistling so much I couldn't sleep. Debunked to the settee about 5, wish I'd thought to do it sooner - much quieter in here! Had about 2 hrs sleep before the world and his dog thought I should be awake. Not a breath of wind here now though, no clouds - just lovely blue sky and sunshine. I should go and make the most of it! but too bloody knackered to move, need proper coffee

RooneyMara Sun 25-Nov-12 09:06:36

I think Seeker's probably a bit nearer Londres than we are...we're right over in the corner so we're in a weirdy weather bit, tends to be different to the rest of Kent sometimes.

But Ds1 went to get something from the car and said it's very VERY windy so I'm clearly just in a state of oblivion grin

The rabbits have not blown away, I think the trampoline is still there (it's 12ft so quite heavy!) so we're happy.

I slept through in NE Hants, now its a beautiful morning with no obvious damage that I can see from the house. Sun is out, all is calm.

seeker Sun 25-Nov-12 08:47:12

Wind dying down here in Kent- it was a horrid night.

Rooney, did you sleep though it grin tis leaving our shores now, east Anglia is right at the tail end of it.

Bloody knackered! Couldn't sleep,cos I was too excited blush then couldn't sleep cos it was too noisy. Fell asleep 3 hours ago. Now dh woke me up.

Back on the rain thread in a few minutes to cover the next bout of rain.

Teahouse Sun 25-Nov-12 08:38:26

South Hampshire....woke up several times around 3 from the wind. Can't see any obvious damage thankfully! Boy what a roughy night though.
Hope people are safe

GloriaSmud Sun 25-Nov-12 08:37:36

Leicester calling in. Hasn't been that windy but have had 19.5mm rain in the last 24hrs.
Hope everyone's managed to keep safe.

SE London and another one awake with the winds from about 3. Had woken for loo at 1 and it wasn't blowing then. By 3 it was horrendous!

Clever clever kitten!

In Suffolk here........Power went off in the night for a while. We are forecast 50 mile an hour winds today!! I am debating whether to cycle or walk to church later!

RooneyMara Sun 25-Nov-12 08:11:37

Kent here and it's not that windy - I can't hear it iykwim. I can see it's a bit blowy but not much to write home about.

Maybe we're too low down and have escaped or maybe it's on its way smile

Iggly Sun 25-Nov-12 08:04:17

I was lying awake most of the night (in London) waiting for the roof to cave in grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now