Severe gales in SE overnight - please heed!

(96 Posts)

Just saw the met office forecast for wind along the SE coast in around 3am on their map. 78mph! That is certainly of damaging strength, both to trees and structurally.

Take down or at least remove nets from trampolines and weight them down! Sort out those dodgy fences and tuck your wheelie bins away!

met office warnings

I'm not going to be around this morning, please bump. Cos it could save some people a lot of hassle.

No, I don't think so, maybe norfolk/Suffolk. Bit hard to tell looking at that scale! Wouldn't discount problems along the south coast still.

RumBaaBaa Sat 24-Nov-12 23:27:12

Situation on south coast of Cornwall is pretty bad. Polperro, Looe and Millbrook all under feet of water and evacuated. We are in between these locations on high ground right on the coast. Sea is roaring, rain now moving up country and wind really picking up. We are cut off but safe. Hoping it's not too awful for people as the storm moves across the UK.

Rumbaa, I really feel for those people evacuated sad
I'm going to try and catch a bit of kip before it gets a bit wild.

Bbc saying 70mph over EA .

Jajas Sat 24-Nov-12 23:48:08

Thank you Kitten as ever smile.

What a worrying night, hope everyone manages to keep safe and dry tonight.

Haven't read the whole thread this evening, but I've just been outside (Hampshire). Still raining steadily, ground feels saturated oand we're on chalk so that doesn't happen often. However it feels much milder than it did earlier and there is no wind to speak of. Yet.

Hope everyone has a safe night.

Helenagrace Sun 25-Nov-12 00:02:24

Looking very grim in Polperro. We've holidayed in Looe and Perranporth in the last 18 months. Hope everyone stays safe.

snice Sun 25-Nov-12 00:09:06

on bbc news channel now

PrincessSymbian Sun 25-Nov-12 00:57:59

It's all quiet in N.London at the moment but I think it was from three am onwards it was meant to get bad.

Very very windy in Surrey worst i have heard in a long time.

Kveta Sun 25-Nov-12 03:27:44

Mad winds in east herts. Can hear bins blowing about.

Gigondas Sun 25-Nov-12 03:36:22

Same in sw London - it is competing with dd2 to keep me awake

Some nasty gusts here too, can hear it getting under the tiles occasionally. Started getting windy around 2am.

Astonished we still have power, it normally goes if someone sneezes in the wrong direction.

JenaiMathis Sun 25-Nov-12 04:26:58

It's pretty breezy here (Bath) but I'll be damned if I'm going out to look right now - it sounds grim!

JenaiMathis Sun 25-Nov-12 04:27:24

It's pretty breezy here (Bath) but I'll be damned if I'm going out to look right now - it sounds grim!

JenaiMathis Sun 25-Nov-12 04:32:53

Well BBC reckons winds of 25mph. hmm

Still, it's breezy rather than blowing a gale. Poor evacuated and stranded people - hope everyone is keeping safe.

Jenai, that's probably mean wind speed rather than gusts??

Going to try and close my eyes again for a bit. Barely slept tonight.

JenaiMathis Sun 25-Nov-12 04:42:59

Ah yes. If it's bad enough to keep me awake at 25mph I dread to think what it's like elsewhere.

Night smile

very bloody windy here 'm London, woke me up! Anyone else up?

Iggly Sun 25-Nov-12 08:04:17

I was lying awake most of the night (in London) waiting for the roof to cave in grin

RooneyMara Sun 25-Nov-12 08:11:37

Kent here and it's not that windy - I can't hear it iykwim. I can see it's a bit blowy but not much to write home about.

Maybe we're too low down and have escaped or maybe it's on its way smile

LottieJenkins Sun 25-Nov-12 08:11:46

In Suffolk here........Power went off in the night for a while. We are forecast 50 mile an hour winds today!! I am debating whether to cycle or walk to church later!

SE London and another one awake with the winds from about 3. Had woken for loo at 1 and it wasn't blowing then. By 3 it was horrendous!

Clever clever kitten!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now