Severe gales in SE overnight - please heed!

(96 Posts)

Just saw the met office forecast for wind along the SE coast in around 3am on their map. 78mph! That is certainly of damaging strength, both to trees and structurally.

Take down or at least remove nets from trampolines and weight them down! Sort out those dodgy fences and tuck your wheelie bins away!

met office warnings

I'm not going to be around this morning, please bump. Cos it could save some people a lot of hassle.

RumBaaBaa Sat 24-Nov-12 07:44:53

Thanks kitten. Off outside now to put a load of stuff in the shed and secure the wood store. Horizon looking v murky...

Fenton Bosnia-Herzegovina Sat 24-Nov-12 07:51:59

Thanks Kitten, will get busy with that today.

purplerainbow Sat 24-Nov-12 07:56:51

im supposed to be driving across to southampton and coming back this evening. Im reading it that the worst wont start until later tonight? Is that correct?

Thanks and bump.

Pascha Sat 24-Nov-12 08:09:32

Eek! Cant see the warning map on my phone so I will assume that's me included in Kent? May have to get out of bed now to secure the bins and stuff.

Ho hum.

Iggly Sat 24-Nov-12 08:11:03

Bumping. We had a tree blown over in our garden from the wind the other day - that was already dead but it didn't take much. Freaked me out a bit...!

Thanks and bump, it does make me nervous. Will be keeping a close eye on the warnings.

Correct purple, just the rain to contend with. Worst area and time fir wind 3am-6am on Sussex coast.
Am on phone, dh driving. Very bumpy and crap signal!

Couldn't sleep last night so I devised an easy way for people to work out wind direction in a storm. Close your right fist over the low pressure when you are looking at a weather chart. Follow your fingers round, see how they go anticlockwise and in towards the centre? That's the same as the direction of the wind wherever you are relative to the low.
Thanks fir bumping, you are all stars!

HappyTurquoise Sat 24-Nov-12 08:47:52

The severe weather warnings are red for tonight for a lot of the British Isles. Please *follow this link* and put in your postcode/town to see if you are in an area at risk.

HappyTurquoise Sat 24-Nov-12 08:49:20

Or, if you want someone else to put in a town or postcode because you're on a phone, post your request.

that's fir floods turquoise? Please can you put that link also on to the 'lots of rain warnings' thread too where people are following the flood potential. Thanks!

I've just checked our postcode, we are not in a known flood risk area. The main problem here tends to be the street drains not coping, which is worse at this time of year because they get clogged with leaves. My particular worry is the wind because we have tall trees close to our house.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/weather/1617658-Lots-of-rain-warnings is link for that thread.

HappyTurquoise Sat 24-Nov-12 09:13:22
OhComeAllYeZombies Sat 24-Nov-12 10:54:50

Bumping and asking a question:

Is anyone else having trouble with the MetOffice pages loading? Well, not the page itself, but the maps or whatever. Even if I leave the tab open and go back 10 or 15 minutes later it still just has the green "loading" bar up. It doesn't matter whether I click a link or go direct to the site btw.

RumBaaBaa Sat 24-Nov-12 11:06:36

Rain starting here in SE Cornwall so I think it's on it's way in. Not much wind yet.

I had that on the Ipad Zombies, on the main computer now and it opened right away.

OhComeAllYeZombies Sat 24-Nov-12 11:10:01

I'm on a very high spec laptop, WhoKnows. I had the same problem yesterday as well.

Ah, I wondered if it was just incompatible with mobile devices, obviously not then. I don't really have any other suggestions, sorry.

On my iPad I have to go on to another tab and then back again to get met office map to load a new time slot. Very irritating.
Back in bumpy car, roads flooding.

I just picked up my phone which I left it loading on in a window a few hours ago and it had opened eventually. Hope you have a safe journey Kitten.

GloriaSmud Sat 24-Nov-12 13:08:07

It's just started raining here in Leicester.
DD1's in London on a school trip and is due to be back at Leicester train station, at 9.30pm. While I know it's going to be a wet day for them, I hope they'll have left by the time the proper gales start. <frets a lot slightly>

old style met office warnings page works much better for a quick glance if its playing up for you.
Back safe and sound! Much drier away from the coast.

Top gusts now shown by met office to be a little lower at 72mph, but remember that local topology can cause increased gust speeds and sometimes the met office under plays it a little on their maps. Still looks to be between 3am and 6am for Sussex at the worst of it wind wise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now