Pony or horse?

(39 Posts)
50BalesOfHay Mon 07-Jan-13 09:37:46

GD is currently informally loaning a 15hh irish horse. He's very nice, and she's doing a great job of sorting out the issues which have frightened his less confident owner, which is great for her as a winter project, and the owner's happy as if she sells him he'll be fit, in work and schooled rather than sold from the field.

He'll probably be for sale in the spring, but he's not the right horse for GD in the long term (conformation isn't up to the athletic work she'll want from her horse/pony) so we're starting to put together a 'wish list' prior to starting to look to buy in the spring. We can't decide whether to go for 15hh, or keep her on ponies a bit longer.

GD is 13, very tall and leggy, and whilst slim is muscular and srong. She looks right on 15hh, and has the strength (as well as the ability) to manage this difficult but basically genuine horse, so we're tempted to get her something around this size, but if we go above 14.2 she'll be competing with adults, but she did look a bit leggy and tall on her 14.2 last year so if we go for a 14.2 it would need to be chunky, and that's not really her style of horse. She's quite happy at the prospect of adult classes, but I wonder if it might be demoralising for her.

We've got a budget of around £3,000, she'd like something a bit more 'ready-made' this time round rather than one with potential that needs a lot of work (and she deserves it, she's really paid her dues with her last pony and current loan horse). Any thoughts about what we should be looking at would be very welcome

Zazzles007 Thu 10-Jan-13 23:42:31

Hi there OP, you haven't mentioned your GD's goals for herself and for the potential horse, the area she is competing in, or whether she is looking for something in the short term to sell on in 2-3 yrs, or a longer term prospect.

At her age of 13, it is very much transitional stage. Because she is growing, and if she is having regular lessons, she will upskill quite quickly from the ages of 13-16yrs (I know I did). And with the budget you have mentioned, it might be worthwhile considering something younger with a bit more talent, but somewhat less made so that she can train it and sell it on in 3-4 yrs time. If she sticks at it, she might transition through a number of horses between the ages of 13-18yrs.

Hope this helps.

Zazzles007 Thu 10-Jan-13 23:44:22

oops sorry see you have mentioned the discipline OP!

Ariela Sat 12-Jan-13 02:07:46

I would ask the RS to hack or walk them up the road for you to watch when you go to view and try.

50BalesOfHay Sat 12-Jan-13 10:32:29

Well, the pony was very nice, not a welshie after all, but non-specific Irish (no breeding recorded). Size wise, she was fine, (and has a height cerificate so would measure in for pony classes) but if GD has another growth spurt she'd outgrow her in a year so need to have a think.

I'd describe her as a nicely schooled, well mannered pocket rocket with a bold scopey jump. Nice looking pony, nice paces, nice outlne, etc, would do very well in workers at local level, and definite potential to event. She's possibly a bit over-priced, but a definite possible (and only works in the RS for the top level lessons as too good to spoil, and too much horse for novice riders)

However, when we arrived they only had half an hour available, which was fine for a first look, and they are only riding in the school and manege due to the state of the fields, and we'd want to try her in other environments, as well as in traffic (they're happy to box over to us with an instructor and second horse). I think we'll hold on for a second look until things dry out a bit, but could well be interested, but we'll see some others as well

oooh 50bales great to hear you like Willow. I sat in the cafe at Witham gazing adoringly at her this morning whilst the kids were riding Disclaimer, I am not stalking you grin
I can completely understand why they don't hack out from Witham, so boxing her over to you sounds like a great idea.
Although if GD plans on having a growth spurt any time soon then a horse might be better in the long run. And the price is a bit shock but I am very tight lol

50BalesOfHay Sun 13-Jan-13 21:26:00

She IS over-priced, but quite nice. However, there's no breeding, and tidied up for sale. topline is a bit so-so, she's a shaggy cob who's had her legs clipped, she is a nice pony but no competition history, rushes a fence and slightly dead off the leg and lazy in direct transitions (schooled in spurs, and although gd is competent in spurs it's not a road I want to go down) I 'd need a lot more info (and I'd hack that road, just not with a novice) I also think it's a bit off to let someone drive an hour each way then only have half an hour to spend when you're asking that sort of money without saying you only have half an hour. We'll see!!!

Booboostoo Sun 13-Jan-13 21:45:05

She sounds more pony like than horse like, but no harm in trying different sorts and seeing what DD thinks.

50BalesOfHay Tue 15-Jan-13 14:30:53

Having tried a well built full up 14.2hh we think we're going to keep in pony classes as long as possible. GD loved the pony and didn't look leggy as she takes up the leg. We can't buy yet as our yard owner can't take new horses till the fields improve, and the ground's not fit to try properly at the minute, (and I haven't got the cash till April) so she stays on the shortlist, unless she sells in the meantime. We'll look at others of similar stamp, and see where we're at in the Spring (and if GD grows again by then we'll have to reconsider

Booboostoo Fri 18-Jan-13 10:06:49
50BalesOfHay Fri 18-Jan-13 19:02:49

Thanks Booboostoo, he does look lovely, but I think 16.1hh might be a bit big for her

Booboostoo Sat 19-Jan-13 07:45:10

Fair enough! He caught my eye and I thought of you, but too big is just too big!

Booboostoo Thu 24-Jan-13 18:18:50
50BalesOfHay Fri 25-Jan-13 15:43:02

She's lovely, Booboostoo, and I know her from pony club (seller is an instructor). She's a cracking pony but we just can't find much (any) more than £3,500.

I am considering being a selfish cow and bringing her 14.2 who's out on loan back as the loan agreement will be up in March, then selling her at the end of the season, but I feel a bit bad towards the loaner who wants to buy her, and has put loads of work in with her (but not till autumn as she's saving up, if she buys her it will be for her value prior to the schooling loaner has done) I was going to extend the loan until she can afford her, but at the end of the day she is our pony,

If I bring her back, keep her schooling up, and GD competes her successfully then her value will be pretty good, (but loaner won't be able to afford her) then we'll have a much better budget next year for a horse. But I'd feel really ba towards the girl who's loaning her. Hmmmm, I think I need to ask AIBU?

Booboostoo Fri 25-Jan-13 19:28:16

Well no harm in giving them a call, mentioning your budget and seeing what they say. They can only say no, in which case you are back where you were anyway.

If your agreement with the loaner was until March then give notice and end the agreement. If the loanee really wants to she can find the money to buy the pony off you but at the end of the day you cannot afford the next pony you want so you are effectively subsidising the loaner's hobby.

If you have agreed with the loaner that she can have the pony for longer until she can afford her then it's a more difficult situation but at the end of the day it's your pony and you can do whatever you like with her. Imagine the situation reversed, suppose the pony had an unfortunate accident, could no longer be ridden and was effectively worthless - would the loaner break the agreement and return her? I would imagine yes. That is the essence of loans, you don't have the control, the benefits or the risks of ownership.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now