The all new Florrie thread :-)

(48 Posts)
dobby2001 Wed 10-Apr-13 21:44:05

Hi all, I thought to save confusion ,let alone ploughing through four pages of angst, I would start a new thread to talk about our long lost,now found kitty. Hope you guys don't mind my gushing but I have so many things going on in my head, non kitty folk won't get. Or be sick of me talking about grin

Anyway here is tonight's update. Florrie has had diorrehea today sad . The vets feel this is to be expected due to reintroduction of nutrition after starvation, as otherwise she is responding well. DH and DD went to see her at visiting time, and she went loopy with delight! It was the first time DH had seen her since she was found and he according to DD was choked up with how bony she was as she snuggled in to him.

The vet nurse told me they will review her again tomorrow and if her tummy settles, the IV may be able to come out. Then perhaps home for the weekend grin

Oh and for those who haven't seen them, Florrie pics on my profile now grin

crazynanna Wed 10-Apr-13 21:47:49

Oh not been on for a few days....this is you who was going out at night leaving food near sightings?

dobby2001 Wed 10-Apr-13 21:52:30

That's right nanna, it was quite a saga in the end! If you read last couple of pages you can see my need to talk it out smile

crazynanna Wed 10-Apr-13 22:04:35

Oh I have just caught up with the other thread!!!

Oh how wonderful!! I am in tears!

Poor girl. Oh poor girl. Thank goodness you found her. It was meant to be.

crazynanna Wed 10-Apr-13 22:07:49

I do think the runny tummy will settle. Cats do tend to get runny bellies even when they are well fed, so it isn't a surprise with Florrie. I think cautious is the way, slow and steady..and she will be home soon smile

cozietoesie Wed 10-Apr-13 23:54:24

Adorable, dobby. Fingers crossed for you for the weekend.

smile

I'm so glad she's still improving. Let's hope she'll be home soon.

cozietoesie Thu 11-Apr-13 07:16:52

Just thinking in preparation. I'm assuming you've got litter tray(s) organized for The Return but also, if she's still painfully thin, maybe a cat heat pad or electric blanket might be a comfort for her. (I don't know what temperatures are like with you still. It's supposed to really heat up next week but the weekend might still be cold.)

Bet you're all so excited.

smile

dobby2001 Thu 11-Apr-13 09:24:32

Linky back to old thread for anyone wondering why we are all so bleeding anxious (ok, just me grin) about this cat www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/1718121-Cat-missing-what-next

Darmont Thu 11-Apr-13 09:42:01

Dobby, Florrie is gorgeous! It's so nice to put a little face to her image in my mindsmile I have put some of our little girl on my page now.

dobby2001 Thu 11-Apr-13 09:43:19

I am excited Cozie!

Whats also interesting, as we were talking on here the other day about how cats know when you are ill or worried, Twinkle, her partner in crime, has also become more relaxed and less clingy over the course of the week. We came home from the vets and have always let him sniff our hands, so he must realise that Florrie is alive and we have been with her. smile

Good idea about the heat pad. Her favourite spot is on a blanket ,in a cardboard fruit box (which she usually chews the edges of to destruction!) on a shelf over a radiator, thus making her own warm spot grin but we have been looking at cosy cat beds - Twinkle often sleeps with her though, like in my profle pick, so its a balance of cosy, and big enough for 2 ?!

dobby2001 Thu 11-Apr-13 09:44:27

Aww Darmont, she is beautiful :-)

cozietoesie Thu 11-Apr-13 10:29:50

Scrummy, Darmont. (Although in that last picture, she looks as if she might be a holy terror at times: something about the eyes and the combative stance!)

smile

dobby2001 Thu 11-Apr-13 14:56:08

Just spoken to the vets -SHES COMING HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Grin]] grin grin they are keeping the IV in until last minute, but she had a good night, and is a lot brighter.

Had a panic about when I could get her, as working until 6pm. But luckily they have given us the last 6.30 appointment to go through her discharge plan and after care. Oh and of course to extract a scary amount of money from me ( fingers crossed the insurance pays out. ....)

So excited and a wee bit scared. The kids had an educational visit to pets at home to buy cat toys to welcome her back, oh, and a new collar with bell. Resisted the urge to buy the overpriced cat bed with integral heat pad, reminded myself she prefers cardboard boxes with a towel, or DDs bed grin

That's fantastic news. Dobby did you see my comment on the other thread about the Locator device? Admittedly the same thing is unlikely to happen again, but it might help put your mind at rest.

dobby2001 Thu 11-Apr-13 15:14:21

I did thanks. If I can't locate those kitty sized balk and chains I was looking for on eBay, u will give them serious consideration :-)

dobby2001 Thu 11-Apr-13 15:15:06

Ball and chain obviously hmm

cozietoesie Thu 11-Apr-13 15:19:21

Well done florrie!

smile

cozietoesie Thu 11-Apr-13 15:20:47

Let us know how she is once she's settled in late this evening, dobby.

smile

QueenStromba Thu 11-Apr-13 15:41:29

Brilliant news!

Darmont Thu 11-Apr-13 17:58:05

Yeah home at last! Hope she settles in well and is back to her old self soon.
Cosie, you're right...a little pickle (my Angel) can be;)

dobby2001 Thu 11-Apr-13 21:20:45

Okay so good. News is Florrie has put on .5kg already so now 2kg-skinny rather than bone gaunt today. She was very excited about coming home and has been running all over the house sniffing and jumping and going from me, to DD, to DH rubbing and head butting us.

BUT bad news is when she rushed up to greet twinkle he was not happy at all and hissed at her. Since then its been just like when she first came here a year ago, with him following her and butt sniffing, but if she shows any attention to him, he either runs away or is aggressive. Twice he has grabbed her from behind with his teeth, as if mounting.I know that's a dominant thing as both of them are neutered, and usually I wouldn't worry too much, but with her being so thin, I am worried he could injure her, or cause an abscess through a bite.

I was expecting some reaction, but sad its so strong. He really seemed to be pining for her. Perhaps he was just "great,now I have them all to myself" hmm

Its nigh on impossible to keep them apart,as our house is fairly open plan, plus Florrie is visibly anxious about being shut in anywhere, but I am worried that this could turn ugly.

I know, I am probably being over anxious, they will sort it out in a day or two won't they? Told you I need hand holding...

cozietoesie Thu 11-Apr-13 21:32:18

They should sort it out fairly quickly given their recent relationship. She'll have some odd smells on her but they're not starting from Stage 1.

Remember to give extra TLC to Twinkle, hard though it may be to ignore Florrie. (She'll be so happy to be home, though, she may not even notice that much.)

Exactly what cozie said.

It's great that's she's home and probably that's all she really cares about right now.

Have you let the neighbours know that she's been found? I'm sure they'll be thrilled and of course they can now stop looking for her.

cozietoesie Thu 11-Apr-13 21:48:57

I suspect you'll find it will be sorted out when they wake up tomorrow. The balance between them will be slightly off right now - he's been cock of the walk and she's been away, is a bit weak and a bit anxious. When they wake up, fingers crossed, it will be as ever was. Keep a weather eye though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now