May Top Trumps....wildlife geeks step this way and get your spots in here!

(683 Posts)
ArielThePiraticalMermaid Tue 01-May-12 09:37:30

I'll start - I'm hoping that someone will do better than an infernal wood pigeon and obnoxious noisy herring gull. Before the morning is up, hopefully.

And remember, cast ne'er a clout til May be out.

mummylin2495 Tue 05-Jun-12 12:07:45

hello ,just returned from Portugal and wild life to be seen IN OUR ROOM was two giant cockroaches and a grasshopper,nothing unusual you may think but we were three floors up ! We spotted little lizards amongst the rocks and then came across a massive ants nest which i was fascinated by because they were big ants and their eggs were black !!

iseenodust Fri 01-Jun-12 11:00:44

Wow at the sunfish spot. I'd never heard of those before.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 01-Jun-12 08:57:16

Over here folks. Its June!

An Ocean Sunfish for fecks sake! Good grief, just looked at the link. We get those? In Cornwall?

I can't see anything anymore as there is so much blood greenery.

But the smell of the Hawthorn is postively fabulous.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 31-May-12 23:45:34

>Is anyone starting a June thread
yes, you are Saggy grin

SaggyCeratops Thu 31-May-12 21:30:18

Is anyone starting a June thread? I'm just getting into this! grin
Today, I have seen a green woodpecker, and a little owl.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Thu 31-May-12 20:27:58

Oh over there they can be MASSIVE! Take a look at this sucker (though I don't know where this one washed up)

Ours are tiddlers in comparison - the largest one I've seen was a mere 80cm or so long.

PorkyandBess Thu 31-May-12 20:19:05

Sorry, didn't mean to force you 'out'!

Wow, lucky you!

I have seen one sunfish in my entire life and it was whilst whale watching in New Zealand.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Thu 31-May-12 20:12:22

Erm.... <terrified of outing self>.... west Cornwall. They're quite common round here between June and September. In the sea at least! grin

PorkyandBess Thu 31-May-12 19:50:23

An ocean sunfish!!!

Where are you ariel? I was going to post about a giant crayfish but it seems a bit crap now.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Thu 31-May-12 19:45:34

I saw an ocean sunfish! First one of the year.

KurriKurri Thu 31-May-12 18:44:53

Saw a beautiful pair of Bullfinches in the garden this morning, - the male was in full colour - gorgeous.

I saw baby coots with ginger heads and dragonflies and wild rock roses.
Here in Derbyshire we get rid of our buzzards if we possibly can. And goshawks and peregrines...sad

FryingNemo Thu 31-May-12 07:14:02

Oooh, we have a mad runner-atacking buzzard too!

Lots of water voles here and a case of hantavirus in the next village.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 30-May-12 21:27:34

I've been tied to my desk, but this afternoon got a phone call from DD 'can I go to my friend's house because they've got a stoat in their garden please please please' - and of course, being naturespotty type people we said 'of course' even though this meant DH had a 40min round trip to pick her up.

They'd found a young hungry stoat last night, fed it up a bit and this evening liberated it into an abandoned rabbit hole.

Slubberdegullion Wed 30-May-12 21:24:57

No, Cheshire. How scary must that have been. You tend not to think of British wildlife being proper Raaaaaaaaaaaaargh in your face with the sharp claws.

MrsPnut Wed 30-May-12 21:19:14

Slubber, are you in the SW? It appears the buzzards there have form for attacking people.

Slubberdegullion Wed 30-May-12 21:01:55

There is more to the story. Prepare your amazed at vicious nature and the stupidity of humans face.

So bloody jogger came in to friends office and second jogger said "oh how interesting, I'm going to have to go and check it out", so off be ran and was attacked but the same buzzards and had to leap Jason Bourne stylee into the backseat of a passing car upon some poor woman's dog to escape being eviscerated [possible hyperbole]

RandomNumbers Wed 30-May-12 20:56:18

oh my gawd wrt buzzard scalp rake

Slubberdegullion Wed 30-May-12 20:53:30

Interesting about the buzzards MrsP. Friend on the w/e was telling me about a colleague at work who came back from his lunchtime jog dripping with blood. Attacked by 3 buzzards (why 3?) one of which gave him the most massive gash across the top of his head. Scary stuff.

Loads and loads of blue-tailed damselflies this weekend. Such an amazing electric blue.

Wonderful photos Kurri and Saggy.

MrsPnut Wed 30-May-12 20:45:59

I haven't been on here for a while but over the weekend we saw 3 Buzzards. We drove down to Twickenham for the rugby and had to detour off the M1 on the way there. Saw one by the side of the A5 near Leighton Buzzard, saw the next on the Sunday by the side of the M1 and saw the third over a field in Aubourn (very near home) that was chasing another bird. I wanted to stop the car and watch but it wasn't safe.
Other recent spots have been mundane, swans, pheasants, weasels, blackbirds, various tits and robins.
The swifts are back though and nesting in our roof, having had the binoculars out I can see some pointing that needs doing but it will have to wait until the babies have fledged.
I have filled in the swift watch details on the RSPB website so they can keep track of breeding sites.

MooncupGoddess Wed 30-May-12 20:38:48

Saw a pair of thrushes nesting in my friend's garden the other day -which would be nothing for many of you, but in inner London it is really quite exciting! They are so lovely with their speckledy breasts.

PorkyandBess Wed 30-May-12 19:45:04

Pesky heron in the garden just now. Has had 3 of our fish lately.

out2lunch Wed 30-May-12 19:00:18

PorkyandBess Wed 30-May-12 18:57:17

Sweet cygnets!

I saw some baby moorhens today. No idea what they're called..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now