Rescue staffy has a cloudy eye.

(36 Posts)
ClaimedByMe Tue 03-Jun-14 09:52:48

Firstly she will be going to the vet tomorrow when dp is home!

Last night we noticed her eye was 'strange' and today in daylight I've tried to have a better look and my mum has looked and outside her right pupil was dilated and cloudy.

I have googled and the most likely is she has glaucoma and the worst is a tumour.

Has anyone got/had a dog with glaucoma? Is it manageable? She is supposedly a max age of 7 according to the rescue but she had a shit start to life well first 5ish years of her life.

This does my anxiety no good, I thought my health anxiety was just for the humans of the house turns out it's extended to the dog my 3rd baby

alsmutko Tue 03-Jun-14 17:37:35

Keratitis? Cataracts possible too given her age.
www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/cataracts
Hopefully it's just onset of middle age!

SpicyPear Tue 03-Jun-14 18:01:16

Trauma can also cause cataracts. Staffies can suffer from hereditary cataracts but I understand these tend to affect both eyes. Good luck at the vets. I'm sure they will be able to get to the bottom of it, even if you need a referral.

ClaimedByMe Tue 03-Jun-14 18:08:09

Thanks! I have looked at way too many eyes in google images today!

As a rescue dog we have no background/history I am beside myself with worry!

ClaimedByMe Tue 03-Jun-14 18:10:29

She hasn't had any head trauma to her head with us, she's been here for 18 months but she was heavily abused before picked up as a stray.

SpicyPear Tue 03-Jun-14 18:25:38

Easier said than done but step away from Google and stop trying to second guess it! There are a number of things it could be.

I used to suffer quite badly with anxiety - do you have any strategies to put risks in perspective? It makes the wait for the vet appointment a lot easier if you can calm some of those bad thoughts in the meantime!

ClaimedByMe Tue 03-Jun-14 18:34:18

This is it, not very nice! I will just keep breathing until our appointment.

brunette123 Tue 03-Jun-14 19:21:46

oh poor thing x
please keep us posted I hope it will be something minor

ClaimedByMe Tue 03-Jun-14 21:28:03

I will update tomorrow, I am in for a sleepless night tonight while she sleeps soundly no doubt.

ClaimedByMe Wed 04-Jun-14 10:03:20

Appointment at 4.40 I have everything crossed it's nothing serious.

brunette123 Wed 04-Jun-14 17:48:24

hoping you have had good news

ClaimedByMe Wed 04-Jun-14 18:39:46

Its a tumour sad her eye is getting removed next tuesday, everything crossed that its benign and contained to her eye sad

brunette123 Wed 04-Jun-14 18:47:45

oh gosh you must be quite shaken up - I really hope she will be fine I know you will be very busy but do update when you have time I shall be thinking of you both.
My late greyhound had a tumour on her rib the size of a tennis ball and she had it removed along with the rib - she was fine and lived till she was 13 (still miss her everyday though and lost my boy greyhound few months ago). Hoping all will be ok for your girl - I am doing walking at my local rescue centre and most of the dogs are staffies or staffie-crosses - am quite taken with them, having previously had no experience of them. Might have to have one or ideally two. All the best.

SpicyPear Wed 04-Jun-14 20:22:21

Sorry to hear that. Good luck for Tues and please update us. I know a few one eyed dogs and they have adapted very well.

ClaimedByMe Wed 04-Jun-14 20:53:10

Thank you, I am just heartbroken for her she has been through so much already used as a breeding machine, starved, covered in cigerette burns if ever a dog didnt deserve to ill it is her!

This is a picture of her when she was picked up off the streets of London in February 2012, she was rescued from being pts by scottish staffordshire bull terrier rescue who transported her from London to scotland, one of the transporters fell in love with her and as she was being transported on valentines day they called her Rose, she was a valentines Rose.

SpicyPear Wed 04-Jun-14 20:59:42

Your picture brought a little tear to my eye. I also have an abandoned staffie breeding machine so I know what how you feel about the poor girl having been through enough. Everything crossed for her.

ClaimedByMe Wed 11-Jun-14 18:30:52

Well Rose had her op yesterday, the eye is gone, the area looks neat and the vet thinks she wont even scar, it will just fur over nicely!

Any tips to get her to take her antibiotics? The pain meds are fine as they are flavoured.

I have to wait until the middle of next week for the biopsy results and we have a check up on Friday!

WeAllHaveWings Wed 11-Jun-14 21:42:31

We wrapped our pups anti-bs in little balls of raw mince, he wolfed them down.

Hope she's feeling better today, crossing my fingers for the results next week. Poor pup deserves a break.

mistlethrush Wed 11-Jun-14 21:48:12

A curl of butter moulded around the pill helps them slip down - particularly if you give them a little bit of butter first before the pill.

hellymelly Wed 11-Jun-14 21:52:07

Oh op, I hope she recovers well. She looks so lovely and is obviously so loved now. I could see from the photograph that it did look like a tumour but hoped I was wrong. I am sure you will lavish her with love and care, and she will certainly manage fine with one eye. Everything crossed for you that the prognosis is good. thanks

brunette123 Thu 12-Jun-14 11:25:48

oh so pleased to hear from you I posted for you on Tuesday I have been thinking about you both all the time. I used to wrap my dogs' tablets in a sliver of ham or an cube of pate they wolfed them straight down. I lost my second dog a few months' ago and now do walking at the local rescue which is full of staffies and staffie crosses. I am fond of a little 11 year old slightly disabled one and am probably going to have him on a home trial soon. I have previously had greyhounds.
Give Rose a kiss from me and have a glass of wine yourself. Hoping for good news next week
xxx

SpicyPear Thu 12-Jun-14 11:27:23

Good luck for the biopsy Rose and ClaimedByMe.

Glad the op went well.

triballeader Thu 12-Jun-14 14:07:21

Poor little girl. Hopefully the anti/b's and pain relief with your TLC will have her back to staffiness very soon. Hope all goes well with the biopsy and its something contained.

ClaimedByMe Thu 12-Jun-14 14:34:54

Thanks all, I feel really teary today, she seems to be doing great, it seems to hurt her eat anything hard with that side of her face, not stopping her but she flinches when she bites down sad

She has chased the cat, jumped on sofas to avoid the hoover and jumped all over my mum when she came in earlier so she is getting back to old self.

brunette123 I hope it works out with the oldie, they dont deserve to spend their final years in kennels.

hellymelly Thu 12-Jun-14 14:48:15

That picture makes me want to kiss the top of her head! Poor poor Rose. I am sending a virtual kiss anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now