House training: at what age

(34 Posts)
magpie2 Tue 26-Feb-13 14:27:54

At what age did you get your puppy and at what age was he/she reliably housetrained?

Floralnomad Tue 26-Feb-13 18:16:23

Mine will occasionally stand at the door and bark but usually he just waits till he goes for a walk

magpie2 Tue 26-Feb-13 18:31:42

Floral, when did he first bark to go out? How did it happen?

SilverSky Tue 26-Feb-13 18:35:12

I wouldn't personally go with a buzzer as having a barker she drives me INSANE with barking. In and out. It's our fault as we inadvertently caused this to happen

Over time, like kids, their bladders get stronger and they can hold for longer.

tabulahrasa Tue 26-Feb-13 19:06:56

When I say 18 weeks - that's how old he was when he had his last accident, we had a couple of weeks where he asked but not always quite in time, we had a few weeks before that where he was fine if I left the back door open but wouldn't ask.

I wish mine would bark, he jumps up and scratches at the door...it's a glass door...he weighs 35kg and is still growing hmm

littlewhitebag Tue 26-Feb-13 19:16:06

My lab pup stands and whines at the back door. It is a very pathetic noise. She makes the same noise when she wakes in the morning and wants out her crate for a wee.

Floralnomad Tue 26-Feb-13 19:19:30

He must have been at least 6 months before he first barked and it was quite a while after his last accident , I can't actually say he was barking to go for a wee it may be that he's barking because he's seen a pigeon he wants to chase and coincidentally has a wee while he's out . He amazes me with his bladder and bowel control as even in the mornings when he's been in for 8+ hours he will still ,on most days , wait for me to take him for a walk to have a wee rather than go in the garden .

Got her at 14-ish weeks and she was pretty damned good from the off TBH... we had very little to do on that front. She had lived in a family home from 8-14 weeks, so in those 6 weeks, the previous owners had clearly cracked the toilet training, even though they couldn't cope generally with owning a dog and had to give her up.... I'll always thank them a) for the dog and b) for the fact it wasn't my house that was covered in wee and smelly newspaper!

We say "Hurry up". Works every time!

broadsheetbabe Tue 26-Feb-13 20:59:51

We have Poochie Bells - and our pup took less than one week to master ringing the bells to go out to 'eliminate'.

She also very quickly cottoned on that if she rings the bells, she is let out to play!

She's a springer-poodle cross, we got her at 11 weeks and she was house trained within one month. Clever girl!

http://www.dougalsden.co.uk/dogs/poochie-bells.html

magpie2 Wed 27-Feb-13 07:33:44

Poochie bells and buzzers! Amazing! Thanks guys for your responses, there's hope for us yet smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now