Considering a rescue dog - maybe a greyhound or lurcher, we are first timers!

(65 Posts)
doggydays Tue 13-Nov-12 12:22:41

That's it really!

We are first timers, please be gentle! Kids are early teens. We have a large garden, I work 2 days a week during school hours (might possibly be able to change this if I negotiated with work, not sure).

No experience of dogs before but feel we could offer something, we are in no rush and if you think it's not a good idea, fair enough!

Would be able to give at least an hours exercise a day and probably more in reality if required or it helps?

No specific love of any particular breed and happy to be guided if another breed would be more appropriate, just at the start of our journey and thought I might post initially.

I was very taken by Tinger, when I looked at Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue's website, a lurcher, female and smooth coated, good with DC, and needing plenty of exercise - seehere They've also got some gorgeous other dogs in at the moment.

Shropshire Greyhound Rescue have some lovely whippet lurchers in and have an adorable pair of brothers, William and Maxim, two lurchers, greyhound x whippet x deerhound and less than a year old - see [[ http://shropshire.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/Dog/?dogId=56a5def7-ec54-9f5e-631e-5093ebb4b2c0&from=adopt-a-greyhound details]] Beth and her team are fantastic and will do everything to ensure a good home.

LadyTurmoil Mon 19-Nov-12 12:52:25
mistlethrush Mon 19-Nov-12 12:37:50

But then you could find two lurchers that are kennelled together... I, for instance, could have taken on a matching pair who got on well together, but we only really wanted one (at that stage.. DH doesn't yet know that I am already thinking that a second might not be a bad thing).

Re bitch / dog - go with your feelings - although many people will say that if you're getting two its often easier to get one of each.

MadAboutHotChoc Mon 19-Nov-12 12:18:51

I think you will find it easier to find a smooth haired lurcher boy than a rough coated girl - unless things have changed, rough coated lurchers and bitches are very popular.

I think with lurchers, unless you find a pair that is up for rehoming, it is probably best to adopt one at a time. Again, you would need to talk to the rescue you are looking at.

Adopting a pair of greys is much easier esp if you find a pair that are being kennelled or fostered together.

doggydaze Mon 19-Nov-12 12:05:35

Ah Mistlethrush - the downside to having a dog sad

Yes, telling the rescues make sense, thanks. It makes me feel better too, less deceiptful almost. Gosh, I feel a bit wrong saying we would need smooth haired (for DH, who has asthma but doesn't struggle with smooths) and would quite like a boy (reasons emotional and not set in stone anyway, a girl would be fine in reality), didn't realise people had such stipulations!

Just to confirm that two would be ok for new dog owners?

To clarify, we have the space, time and finance for two but not the experience smile

It's not rude, but it is polite to tell the rescue that is what you are doing. Sometimes rescues can work together to source dogs, especially if someone is looking for something very specific e.g. a three legged greyhound that likes cats, and adores men with beards (and no, this is not very far from what we are sometimes presented with as requirements!) Sometimes a homecheck carried out by one rescue (especially if breed specific) will be acceptable to another one. For instance I homecheck for two local greyhound rescues - if you were on the books for both, and a dog came up and you'd been homechecked for one, it would make sense for the whole process not to have to be repeated.

Would say YY to two greys together - they love living with other pointies and are great company for each other. And you'll be able to enter lots of Best Pair/Best Brace classes in the summer! wink

mistlethrush Mon 19-Nov-12 11:52:14

I had contacts out with about 5 at one stage! We were in a bit of a rush to find the right dog though, because our last one had just been put down because of bone cancer that was a really sudden end (to a wonderful life - she was also a rescue). DS is still quite young and really missed her - he's grown up with her around, and we wanted something to help to fill the dog-sized hole in our lives as soon as possible, whilst getting the right dog for us (and us being the right family for the dog too).

doggydaze Mon 19-Nov-12 11:42:01

I am ruling nothing out, apart from the JRT (unless DH has other thoughts)

Personally, I think the rescue have been fabulous and very helpful but maybe trying to get one of their existing dogs to fit us, which I completely understand - I never knew just how many dogs needed homes until this weekend. This is honestly not a critical comment either. I am pleased to be considered ok to have a dog tbh!

Going to ask a question or two. I really don't know if it's ok to say, contact two or three rescues or, when you have decided on one, stick with that. Again, I don't want to offend anyone here, it looks like many of you do amazing work with rescues. I just don't know the 'correct' way to do things. It seems a touch rude to contact two or three rescues or whatever, but if that's normal and gets us the right dog, is that ok? Usual?

I also can't believe I am considering two dogs, if they were Greys or Lurchers that is! I see many benefits actually and we have the space.

A lurcher, depending on cross, would be likely to have more stamina. However, don't rule out greys. Though they are happy with a minimal walk, they can gradually improve their fitness/stamina and are able to cope with much longer walks.

Our four, who are all older dogs, have around an hour each day, though we often do longer walks on the weekend, plus extra activities like playdates, etc. In addition, DH goes running with a couple of them several times a week - they really enjoy this. The key with the exercise is to build it up gradually. What you will also notice is that they get tired just as much (if not more) by social events or things that engage their brain, like training classes. Bless them, they are not the brightest of dogs grin Took one of ours out to a store collection yesterday - she was bright and social for about three hours, then came home, leapt on the sofa and slept solidly for the rest of the night. It's a similar picture when we go to events, dog shows, training classes etc.

A JRT on hte other hand is practically impossible to wear out and will NEED a great deal of both physical and mental work every day to keep happy and out of mischief. And a terrier can do a great deal of mischief if they want to!

moosemama Mon 19-Nov-12 10:45:12

grin blush I know, I know, I've had dogs all my adult life and even studied dog behaviour, so am well aware of the tendency for owners to anthropomorphise, but honestly, I have never known a dog like him in terms of bearing a grudge and giving meaningful looks.

Doggydaze, lurchers can stand more exercise, it's just that they are also fine with a really good run and then lazing about the house all day. We regularly walk miles with our boy. He tends to have a complete mad one with incredible bursts of speed, then trots along next to us for a while till he get's his energy back and off he goes again.

I would definitely have a look at lurcher link we got our boy from there and they have a national network.

doggydaze Mon 19-Nov-12 10:15:46

This is interesting, thanks. I need to investigate Lurcher's more.

I am really not sure I could handle a JRT, despite the rescues best intentions!

mistlethrush Mon 19-Nov-12 10:09:26

If you want the longer walks and are prepared to do at least one 1hr walk a day, I would have thought lurcher might be better than a grey.

MadAboutHotChoc Mon 19-Nov-12 10:06:03

Greys can do longer walks but lurchers have more stamina and are able to play and run for much longer - I walk mine twice a day, a quick one in the morning and a 45-60 mins walk in the afternoon.

doggydaze Mon 19-Nov-12 10:00:44

Yes, completely agree LT!

I think we have moved in two different directions whilst trying to explore our options and need to figure exactly the right route for us.

Part of me thinks Greyhound/Lurcher etc, given our inexperience. I also love their nature and looks.

The other half of me thinks that I do have the time to give plenty of exercise to a more active dog, but whether I could cope with a JRT is another matter!

Can Greys take more exercise if I wanted to give it? Sorry if that is a basic question, a couple of the sites mention that they need 2 x 20 mins a day is fine but I have romantic visions of tramping in the local fields for hourssmile. Seriously, I would love to do longer family walks etc.

I know you guys said an hour is fine early on in the thread?

LadyTurmoil Mon 19-Nov-12 09:51:16

JRTs certainly quite a different type of dog to a greyhound?! I would ask a lot more questions: does he yap/bark quite a lot? Exercise needs? Does the fosterer have children? How does he get on with them? Does he get on with other dogs? That sort of thing...

mistlethrush Mon 19-Nov-12 09:45:22

doggydaze - I pmd you - did you get it?

MadAboutHotChoc Mon 19-Nov-12 09:21:38

Lurcher Link are based near you I think.

We adopted a lovely natured 2 years old lurcher bitch from them - she does like chasing rabbits but her recall is very good and will come back. She leaves cats alone though. She is friendly with other dogs, children etc and her only vice is counter surfing. Definitely not a crazy rescue dog.

doggydaze Mon 19-Nov-12 08:55:10

Blimey - had a two minute google about JRT's and scared myself half to death!!!!

doggydaze Mon 19-Nov-12 08:19:18
doggydaze Mon 19-Nov-12 08:16:10

Got to laugh at a dog being 'easily offended' smile

Ok, update.

So far, we have decided that YES, we will have a dog, and it will be a rescue dog (doing a virtual grimace at Rhinestone for being rightsmile)

DH very keen to explore Greyhounds. I am a bit more impulsive than him and would have already emailed GRT (I like one at their West Yorks website called Bob, although I think we are actually probably geographically closer to the North Yorks centre but actually live in West Yorks if that makes sense). He loves their gentle nature. DH wants to chat to a friend that has adopted two recently to ascertain their experience.

Meanwhile, Yorkshire Rose Rescue have been amazing. I have tried to be as honest as I possibly can be, explained we are first timers and that, while we have tons to offer a dog (IMHO!), in reality, I would need to leave any dog for short periods, given my work, kids activities and DH working away often etc. I am not talking for hours on end but trying to be honest. Tried to outline worst case scenario etc.

I got a phone call within an hour of submitting my form and have had lots of contact since. 3 dogs would fit our criteria. Here's the link. I hope I am not breaking any confidentiality by doing this?

http://www.yorkshirerosedogrescue.co.uk/needingahome.html

I initially enquired about Ash without knowing his background (although, I wasn't desperate for a specific dog tbh, happy to be guided), I happen to think staffies have a bad name and really the problem is at the other end of the lead. DH doesn't agree and has discounted. Apparently, Ash has a lovely nature but strong on the lead and has had 3 owners already, the latter fact would concern me more (first owner young lad who gave him up after 4 months, second the owner had 3 young children and he was two much, third because the owner had another strong dog and that was too much, he's in foster now but the home is small and he's not showing himself in his best light!).

Lucy too but staffie cross so DH wouldn't go with that option, regardless. I don't agree but it's not just me our decision affects so fair enough.

Lastly, and ideally for us in their opinion, Baxter. They don't think he will be with them long, he's not ready yet as they have only just got him and he needs to have his injections, be neutered etc and the foster seems to think he hasn't any significant issues. I know NOTHING about JRT's though?

So, we will have a dog but that's as far as we have got!!

TwoIfBySea Sun 18-Nov-12 23:04:05

We live too far away and I have my own lab retriever to think about so would need a few meetings before committing. Otherwise...

We're looking for another dog though! Ours is in desperate need for a brother or sister as he never gets to play enough at the park or on the beach. I puppy walked him for Guide Dogs but a problem with his back legs meant he couldn't progress so they offered him to us for rehoming as soon as the decision was made. I drove 70 miles to the GD centre that afternoon to bring him home!

Had never heard of Podencos before. God if I had the room and money I'd have a whole pack of dogs!

LadyTurmoil Sun 18-Nov-12 21:42:58

Felipe looks lovely, doesn't he? He's a bit smaller than a lot of the Podencos, they usually have supermodel legs and need 10' high fences! Good write-up on him too - what about it Two??

TwoIfBySea Sun 18-Nov-12 19:57:58

Oh wow LadyTurmoil, wish you hadn't put that link there. Desperately wanting to rehome Filipe now! Those Podencos are lovely.

moosemama Sun 18-Nov-12 19:49:32

grin Sorry. I keep meaning to put pictures of the dogs up, but they're on my old laptop which gave up the ghost. Oddly though, after much nagging dh has just fixed it this afternoon, so I may be able to put a picture of my pointy boy up soon.

SpicyPear Sun 18-Nov-12 19:42:18

Moosemama I went on your profile to see if there was a photo of your hound and now I'm desperate for cake. They look delicious!

Sorry for the non-dog diversion, as you were...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now