Call the midwife anyone?

(67 Posts)
AloeSailor Tue 25-Dec-12 23:24:09

Can't believe the birth at the beginning, so realistic!

picketywick Mon 07-Jan-13 11:12:28

CALL THE MIDWIFE I prefer Miranda in her sit-com.

IceNoSlice Mon 07-Jan-13 01:02:20

Loved the Christmas episode, and think Chummy is wizard!

But the really fake snow drove me nuts! No need!

kittensarecute Mon 07-Jan-13 00:50:36

I love this show, especially Chummy - she's so sweet.

Checking in. Be the first time ive ever watched it 'live' - usually im.on catch up scrolling through these threads as I go grin

Thoght the Christmas Day one was amazing.

LaVolcan Sun 06-Jan-13 17:51:08

I think the CS was stand alone, although if you had seen the series it would give a fuller picture.

YulaBaker Sun 06-Jan-13 15:30:48

Anyone?

YulaBaker Fri 04-Jan-13 13:23:38

I missed series one... Do I need to have seen it to enjoy the Christmas Special or is the CS a stand alone story, iyswim?

and it felt like a Chirstmas Speical which it ws.. less of the gritty than usual

watched it last night and quite disappointed. i normally love Call the midwife but I found it too contrived and obvious.
shame.

MarthasHarbour Thu 03-Jan-13 09:30:55

I watched it again last night and cried yet AGAIN at the graveyard scene sad

LAlady Wed 02-Jan-13 23:42:56

Watched it this evening. Very emotional from start to finish.

MarthasHarbour Wed 02-Jan-13 09:13:34

I know - i was pleased that they are still all true stories.

I too have to stop myself talking like Chummy (utterly wizard!) and want to dress like Trixie and Jenny, growing my hair into the style and everyfink!

grin

Oh, that's so lovely, marthas. I wondered if they'd just made it up, or what.

alemci Tue 01-Jan-13 23:10:23

yes I cried when the carol came on and the nativity. It was lovely and so sad at the same time

MarthasHarbour Tue 01-Jan-13 22:14:01

apparently after S1 many other midwives from the era came forward with additional stories to tell. Which has enabled them to write another series.

Oh, yes. The ship's woman one I found really unpleasant, TBH.

But it does seem they've plenty of material and I like how they've also managed to introduce some new storylines.

MarthasHarbour Tue 01-Jan-13 21:56:13

ah yes the ships woman... hmm <hoiks bosom> that hasnt been done yet, maybe series 2 - the simply have to show this story!

apparently Meg'n'Mave are making an appearance in s2 grin

PimpMyHippo Tue 01-Jan-13 21:18:30

I downloaded the complete set of the books onto my Kindle after enjoying the programme so much, and read them all in the space of about 3 days. Wonderful books. smile I haven't seen much of the TV series, so don't know which stories have been televised, but I liked Frank and Peggy, the siblings who were seperated in the workhouse and found each other again years later; and Chummy and the "ship's woman", I was utterly shock at her "job"!

Oh, that's true, that makes sense - if the mother had a three month old she couldn't have covered it up.

I think it's quite common for there to be an 'older sister' who is actually the mother, isn't it? Certainly I've heard of it quite often. Though I don't know how that would work with an abandoned baby?

I want series 2 to start too!

MarthasHarbour Tue 01-Jan-13 21:06:15

Also the mother couldnt have taken on her daughter's baby as she had only just had a baby 3 months earlier (remember she said she was 3 months gone on the holiday where the teenager must have got pregnant)

MarthasHarbour Tue 01-Jan-13 21:04:59

I have read the books and wondered how they were going to deliver Mrs Jenkins' story. And it didnt disappoint. Even though i knew that she lost all her children i sobbed at the common graveyard scene, and yes the bit where she patted Rosie's grave and said she was tucked up all warm.

I have a 3yo DS and havent been able to stop hugging him for days, the morning after i watched it he came into bed with me and gave me a cuddle and i cried blush The fact this is all based upon a true story made it all the more poignant.

Regarding the teenager who got to keep her baby; there was another thread going on in Chat i think just after the show finished where a couple of posters (BoF was one of them) who said that this happened in their families in the 50s/60's, in that the father allowed the daughter to keep her baby. So indeed it did happen. You could see that the dad in CTM was soft on his daughter (appreciated all she did around the house etc).

I just loved it - and am v excited for series 2 this month - when does it start?

GimmeIrnBru Tue 01-Jan-13 19:19:29

This Christmas special had me in tears, tbh. I cried when Jenny took Mrs Jenkins to the common grave where all her children were buried. What a sad moment it was.

LRDtheFeministDude Sat 29-Dec-12 21:41:45

I think people say you might like the books because there's a lot in the books they can't show in a short TV programme or series. I find it hard to know if I'd have liked it so much without reading them first, is all.

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Sat 29-Dec-12 21:20:07

my disliking it doesn't stop anyone else from watching it does it???

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Sat 29-Dec-12 21:19:47

I wasn't in my own house by myself when it was on. I won't watch any more of it. I already said why I had to sit through it.

I'm as allowed to say I thought it was tripe as you are to say you lurved it! This is the telly addicts section and chatting about the good bad and ugly of Christmas TV is allowed here last time I looked!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now