Call the midwife anyone?

(67 Posts)
AloeSailor Tue 25-Dec-12 23:24:09

Can't believe the birth at the beginning, so realistic!

LRDtheFeministDude Sat 29-Dec-12 01:06:52

Late to this - and I loved it too - but FWIW I read that the nuns whose order is the factual basis for the books did indeed say they only had one abandoned baby during their time there. He was christened John Divine (because they're actually the sisters of St John the Divine, not St Raymond Nonatus, which is a made-up name). So I think that was factual.

I thought they did tone down the Mrs Jenkins story a lot, but it was still very poignnt and I certainly got teary.

I knew it was coming but I loved Miranda Hart saying '...because under this coat, I am practically naked!' grin

Her bloke is a bit of alright too.

PimpMyHippo Sat 29-Dec-12 01:10:14

I'm bumping this because I've just watched it on sky+. I normally have a heart of stone and never cry, but the bit in the churchyard made me BAWL. sad Especially when she was glad Rosie was tucked up nice and safe... waaaaahhhh! <snotty sobs> blush

PimpMyHippo Sat 29-Dec-12 01:11:01

Cross post LRD, how odd that we both posted on a day-old thread at the same time!

WandaDoff Sat 29-Dec-12 01:15:22

I've got the books, so I'd read the stories already.

They did so well though, especially the Mrs Jenkins story. Wonderful acting, I sobbed & I almost never do that at TV.

LRDtheFeministDude Sat 29-Dec-12 01:16:28

Wow. That's some cross-post, yes!

I was really surprised this was such a short thread, though ... it was so good, I thought the MN thread would be teeming with posts.

I also found the bit about Rosie being 'tucked up' very sad. Though somehow not quite as sad as the book where the author just very simply states what happened to her children. Reading it, I'd not been expecting that and I was really shocked.

LRDtheFeministDude Sat 29-Dec-12 01:17:26

No way! I've cross posted with wanda.

I just finished watching as well. Thank goodness she didn't have to adopt her baby I was welling up at the thought of it. Great post Frankh I agree America may not love this as much Downton.

Also I kept looking at all that frost and thought it was a bit odd.

GW297 Sat 29-Dec-12 01:31:41

Best thing on tv so far this Christmas.

FeckOffCup Sat 29-Dec-12 17:53:38

I think Mrs Jenkins was her from Benidorm, I couldn't take her seriously as a down and out, kept expecting her to spark up a fag and unleash a string of expletives against someone grin.

diddl Sat 29-Dec-12 19:22:29

I thought it was rubbish tbh.

The teenage girl keeping the baby??!!

I only watch for Chummy!

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Sat 29-Dec-12 19:37:17

IMO at best the parents would adopt the baby as their own and raise it as the teenager's brother, that was the only way a lot of teenagers got to "keep" their babies back then?

Bilbobagginstummy Sat 29-Dec-12 20:35:30

Have you actually read the books?

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Sat 29-Dec-12 20:41:11

why do people tell you to read the book if you hate the TV program/film?
isn't that a bit silly, you read the book if you like what you've seen of it so far. There is nothing I liked about the TV program, I only watched it because others put it on at Christmas.

I hated star wars too, should I get the books incase they're a bit different? or should I stick to things I liked and not waste my time persevering with things I had a taste of and hated?

it was all happily endings rubbish, that's not even how working in health care is now never mind back then!

Bilbobagginstummy Sat 29-Dec-12 20:47:35

Fuck off then, if you want to rubbish real life truths because you know better.

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Sat 29-Dec-12 20:51:52

its a DRAMATISATION based on memoirs! chill out! some people like it some people don't! I don't have to make myself change my mind about the program by wading through the books!

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Sat 29-Dec-12 20:52:52

(anyway even if I did like the books I still though the program was a load of shite so what difference would reading the books make??)

Bunbaker Sat 29-Dec-12 21:10:40

Why did you watch it then? (puzzled). I don't watch TV programmes I don't enjoy - sport, reality TV, soaps. Our TV has an off button.

Besides, if I can't find anything I want to watch I have loads of stuff recorded that I need to catch up on.

I think the general consensus is that CTM is well made, well acted and has some excellent plot lines so rather than being "sh**e" TV it is TV that doesn't cater to your taste.

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Sat 29-Dec-12 21:19:47

I wasn't in my own house by myself when it was on. I won't watch any more of it. I already said why I had to sit through it.

I'm as allowed to say I thought it was tripe as you are to say you lurved it! This is the telly addicts section and chatting about the good bad and ugly of Christmas TV is allowed here last time I looked!

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Sat 29-Dec-12 21:20:07

my disliking it doesn't stop anyone else from watching it does it???

LRDtheFeministDude Sat 29-Dec-12 21:41:45

I think people say you might like the books because there's a lot in the books they can't show in a short TV programme or series. I find it hard to know if I'd have liked it so much without reading them first, is all.

GimmeIrnBru Tue 01-Jan-13 19:19:29

This Christmas special had me in tears, tbh. I cried when Jenny took Mrs Jenkins to the common grave where all her children were buried. What a sad moment it was.

MarthasHarbour Tue 01-Jan-13 21:04:59

I have read the books and wondered how they were going to deliver Mrs Jenkins' story. And it didnt disappoint. Even though i knew that she lost all her children i sobbed at the common graveyard scene, and yes the bit where she patted Rosie's grave and said she was tucked up all warm.

I have a 3yo DS and havent been able to stop hugging him for days, the morning after i watched it he came into bed with me and gave me a cuddle and i cried blush The fact this is all based upon a true story made it all the more poignant.

Regarding the teenager who got to keep her baby; there was another thread going on in Chat i think just after the show finished where a couple of posters (BoF was one of them) who said that this happened in their families in the 50s/60's, in that the father allowed the daughter to keep her baby. So indeed it did happen. You could see that the dad in CTM was soft on his daughter (appreciated all she did around the house etc).

I just loved it - and am v excited for series 2 this month - when does it start?

MarthasHarbour Tue 01-Jan-13 21:06:15

Also the mother couldnt have taken on her daughter's baby as she had only just had a baby 3 months earlier (remember she said she was 3 months gone on the holiday where the teenager must have got pregnant)

Oh, that's true, that makes sense - if the mother had a three month old she couldn't have covered it up.

I think it's quite common for there to be an 'older sister' who is actually the mother, isn't it? Certainly I've heard of it quite often. Though I don't know how that would work with an abandoned baby?

I want series 2 to start too!

PimpMyHippo Tue 01-Jan-13 21:18:30

I downloaded the complete set of the books onto my Kindle after enjoying the programme so much, and read them all in the space of about 3 days. Wonderful books. smile I haven't seen much of the TV series, so don't know which stories have been televised, but I liked Frank and Peggy, the siblings who were seperated in the workhouse and found each other again years later; and Chummy and the "ship's woman", I was utterly shock at her "job"!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now