What grade *should* they get in their year 9 SATs?

(39 Posts)
MrsSnape Sat 08-Dec-07 17:32:07

Does anyone know what grade they should be getting in their year 9 mock sats (or the proper ones)?

hilary2012 Thu 16-May-13 17:22:43

When do they take their sats in year 9 then? I've come from abroad and am not aware of the system here, but my son has not indicated he's taken any sats???? Nearly finishing yr 9 now............confused!

Jimalfie Tue 14-May-13 10:33:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

It's a double zombie thread as it's now been resurrected twice! The OP's sister would now be about 19 or 20...

Enida Mon 13-May-13 17:49:07

Most schools still do them internally.

flow4 Fri 01-Mar-13 18:20:08

I don't always mind a zombie thread (after all, the same problems do recur for different parents, months or years apart)... But in this case, they've abolished the KS3 SATs, so this thread is well and truly redundant! grin

lljkk Fri 01-Mar-13 17:39:41

Seriously ZOMBIE thread.
Although I did read elsewhere on MN that Level 6 in KS3 meant Cs & Bs for GCSE (nowadays).

Bugger how did i not notice that !

I thought it was 5 and 6 is the "good" grade although i remember a few 7s back when i was at school. (Sadly not mine !)

Enida Wed 27-Feb-13 20:44:11

Level 5a is the average year nine level. 5a= c (pass grade) or low b. im a yr nine student.

bettyboop63 Tue 08-Mar-11 16:08:36

our secondary school set it out like this eg:
history

current level 7, min acceptable grade level 7 low,target aspirational grade 7 secure.

its set out like that for all subjects i find that easier to understand

i dont know why i assumed they all did it like that no?

Niceguy2 Thu 03-Mar-11 21:13:41

erm...this thread is over 3 years old!

whitecloud Thu 03-Mar-11 13:30:56

MrsSnape - if it's any consolation, my dd did not do that well in Year 9 SATs in science, but it all clicked in year 10 and 11 and she is now doing her GCSEs and getting As and Bs. It is quite possible for them to put a spurt on. She got worse marks in junior school and lower down the senior school but has worked hard and dome better than some who had high scores then. Now dd is in year 11 and preparing to do science A levels. These preditions can only tell you so much....

mann Tue 01-Mar-11 17:41:20

What was wrong with A B C etc it worked well for years...........MADwine enough to drive one to drink!

mumtomonkeys Sat 29-Dec-07 21:35:56

its different for each set.

your child should be told in school

there is different expected level for each subject

english
maths
science

so your child shud ask ther subject teacher

CarGirl Sat 29-Dec-07 20:46:16

just read this and my head hurts. Why have they made it all so complicated!!!!!!!!!

mumtomonkeys Sat 29-Dec-07 20:43:29

DD is in year 9
and she got level 7s in her mocks

she is expected a level 6 in her maths
level 7 in her science
and level 6 in her english

she got 7s in her mocks

the exepcted level is for the proper sats.

expected level 6 is normal for about a nearly top set child

DD is in set 2

One less than the top set

Top set is expected level 7s or above

hope it helps

abbyscoffedallthemincepiesmeg Tue 11-Dec-07 18:47:20

Sorry - should clarify level 5 is average at Year 9. I hope I didn't sound like I was being rude about lilo's son attaining level 5 in Year 6 - which is a brilliant result!

abbyscoffedallthemincepiesmeg Tue 11-Dec-07 18:45:27

Level 5 in English as average. I wouldn't make predictions based on SATs results for GCSE as they can be marked out on what a student usually achieves. Most schools will give you a teacher assessment level for the end of Year 9 as well as the SATs results. (Given, that with English, it takes until late summer for them to turn up, our setting and target grades for GCSE are largely based on their teacher assessment; even if they did turn up earlier, I still
think we would discount them in favour of our own judgement where setting is concerned).

I have had the experience of students with Level 6 at SAT; GCSE target B getting A*s on more than one occasion. Yet it works the other way - in my first year of teaching (in a different school) the SATs marks were inflated. Obviously, school was delighted with the result. However, I was then teaching a Year 10 set 4 group who had up to A grade targets for GCSE which were unrealistic - more like C, B tops. I also had fun trying to explain to them why they were still in set 4 when they had the same SAT result as children in a higher set.

As a parent (my dd is about to do KS2), I would try not to worry too much about the SATs. Teacher assessment and coursework marks are a better reflection of their ability. Their GCSEs are the ones that count for them.

I hope this helps smile

lilolilbethlehem Sun 09-Dec-07 21:04:27

My DS's Yr 9 Sats and predicted GCSE grades confirm what fizzbuzz says. Most of his year group had level 5 in yr 6 (not boasting, too many of them got straight 5s for me to think mine was special! Just fact based on good primary feeding selective grammar).

amicissima Sat 08-Dec-07 19:06:11

Thanks Snorkle, those were the GCSE grades. I didn't make it clear.

smartiejake Sat 08-Dec-07 19:01:50

4b is national average for the end of year 6.

MrsSnape Sat 08-Dec-07 18:43:39

Thanks everyone.

I'm a bit worried because my mum phoned me yesterday absolutely thrilled to bits...really over the moon she was.

Apparantly my sister had got a level 4b in her mock sats. She does have problems but my mum was under the impression that this was one of the highest scores she could have got and was going on about how she'll do great when she leaves school with "all these qualifications" etc...

I didn't want to say anything (and still wont) but I didnt think the grades were as good as she thought they were.

snorkle Sat 08-Dec-07 18:40:55

I think what amicissima and fizzbuzz are saying is the same though, except that amicissima is saying the levels at yr 11 which are 2 higher than what you might get at year 9. I wonder how often it works and how often someone really over or underperforms?

tigermoth Sat 08-Dec-07 18:39:43

Thanks for the info MB and everyone. I know what my son should be aiming for, now. Interim school reports at the end of this term - fingers crossed.

janeite Sat 08-Dec-07 18:36:52

Yes, I work on around the same guestimates as Fizzbuzz, allowing for the progress they should make during KS4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now