Shy 15 yr old dd, no real friends

(53 Posts)
Rosirose Sun 24-Feb-13 11:00:23

This is my first posting so forgive me if it's not quite right. I'm desperate to help my 15 yr old dd. She started at her very academic school in yr 7 knowing nobody. Since then she has had trouble making friends and when she does they seem to disappear soon afterwards. It is always her who makes arrangements and often she is let down. She has spent the half-term week doing homework and with me. She has joined a netball club out of school but hasn't really made friends, she went on a summer camp last year but again didn't really make friends. We are thinking of changing schools for sixth form but why should a new school be any different? She is 15 but spends every weekend at home (she also hates sleepovers). She always had friends in her junior school. I just don't know what to do for the best. Has anyone got any suggestions I'm so worried.

exoticfruits Sun 17-Mar-13 22:17:39

Sorry to hear about your experiences SugarMouse - but the last thing she needs is Home Education. She is OK in the classroom, she is not getting bullied - she merely needs a social life outside school and if she can't get it with fellow pupils she needs to look elsewhere.

SugarMouse1 Mon 18-Mar-13 18:25:10

Yes, but maybe HomeEd would boost her self-esteem IFSWIM?

Btw, many boys of this age don't have a social life- they just play computer games all the time!!!

I'm not saying that this is a good thing- but they tend to be perfectly normal socially once they grow up a bit.

Anyway, this has surely got to be better then her hanging around street corners like many of this age group!

When she is 16 she could maybe look for a part-time job, and this may help a lot!!!

exoticfruits Mon 18-Mar-13 19:35:56

I don't think that the alternative to being alone is hanging around street corners! It is perfectly possible to have similar minded friends. She is an academic DD, at a highly academic school, doing well-I can't see it is any help to be at home, trying to do it without teachers.
As a shy child the very worst thing that could have happened for me and my self esteem was to opt out and be at home full time-and I certainly wouldn't have mentioned any problems if I thought that would be the suggestion to it.
She needs suggestions for getting out and about. The part time job, once old enough, is a much better one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now