menstruation stopped

(122 Posts)
lifesamystery Mon 05-Nov-12 12:31:46

My dd is 14 and had her first period in June this year, followed by a second almost exactly four weeks later. However, there has been nothing since then. Is this normal? Nothing else has really changed during this time!

lifesamystery Wed 07-Nov-12 19:14:25

Forgot to add that she doesn't have a boyfriend and if she did she would have had no opportunity to be alone with him. I do know this, honestly, which is why it is the one and only reason for her "problem" that I know is not possible!

LostInWales Wed 07-Nov-12 19:17:34

I went to an all girls boarding school winkgrin. They can't keep an eye on everyone all the time no matter what they promise.

Although in fairness if she appears to be normal weight and eating well her hormones are probably all over the shop.

<Decides it's probably unhelpful to post that her privately educated birth mother was pregnant at 15 and hid it for 6 months>

pinkapples Wed 07-Nov-12 19:18:29

Probably normal but I did have 2 periods exactly 4 weeks apart when I was 12 then they stopped I had diagnosed at 16 after going to docs... I also went to an all girls boarding school and was in a different country to my parents so no... Not pregnancy related just thought I'd mention it :-) she's probably for though I wouldn't be concerned until they disappear completely it took my mum 4 years of no periods to be worried... Hope all fine tho x

AmberLeaf Wed 07-Nov-12 19:21:41

Congratulations Grandma smile

UltraBOF Wed 07-Nov-12 19:22:40

I'd say it was normal too, but we'd be a bit remiss not to flag up pregnancy or disordered eating as issues for any teenage girl, wouldn't we? There's really no need to be horrified, or imply your family is a cut above all that- it comes across as a bit rude, in case you didn't realise.

lifesamystery Wed 07-Nov-12 19:42:18

I did not imply anything. perhaps I shouldn't have said I felt insulted even though I was. Not because I'd don't know that teenage girls get pregnant but because I am not stupid and also know what is and isn't going on in my daughters life.

Pinkapples, I think a few words are missing from our message so not us what the diagnosis was!!

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Wed 07-Nov-12 19:43:44

If you took her to the doctor I'm sure the first thing they would do would be a pregnancy test given the fact that she is female and not having periods, so there's really no need to be so "offended".

lifesamystery Wed 07-Nov-12 19:44:20

Meant Not sure what the diagnosis was.

Musomathsci Wed 07-Nov-12 19:51:18

If you really believe that attending an all girls boarding school means your daughter couldn't possibly be sexually active, then you are sadly misinformed or very naive.

Most likely you're right, she's fine, and it's all just normal, but please don't kid yourself that nothing could possibly happen.

There is a well-known axiom in medical circles "Every woman of child-bearing age is pregnant and lying until proven otherwise". Just saying....

pinkapples Wed 07-Nov-12 20:01:01

it was polycystic ovary syndrome, I was glad to get a diagnosis chose not to take any medication as to be fair no periods was great for a teenager tho did have fertility issues but am now sitting 9 weeks preg with an ivf baby so even if it is (which again she's still young it's probably not they probably just haven't settled) its not all bad... Tell her to enjoy the lack of periods for now... But don't forget about it and think they will come back on there own they might not grin

lifesamystery Wed 07-Nov-12 20:24:44

Pinkapples, I didn't think of that. I wonder if it is hereditary as I do have a very mild version of hat although it has never really caused any problems and was only discovered by accident during a scan. Do hope all goes well for you - exciting times!

Musomathsci I think there are boarding schools and boarding schools. I just know that at the one my dd attends there are really honestly are no opportunities to meet any boys in an unsupervised way. Obviously people don't believe me, and that is up to them.

AmberLeaf Wed 07-Nov-12 20:37:52

Seriously? take your DD to the GP, they will ask about the possibility of pregnancy, maybe she'd like to go in on her own?

I think she is pregnant, im really serious and not ashamed to admit ive advanced searched your posts.

She is either pregnant or this is all a big wind up.

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Wed 07-Nov-12 20:40:13

Me too Amber.

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Wed 07-Nov-12 20:44:17

I must say I am a bit shock at the idea of being 14 and having so little freedom or privacy that your mum can be totally certain you're not pregnant. Mine are still little so I have no experience but is this normal for parents of teenagers these days?

EchoBitch Wed 07-Nov-12 20:45:05

Blimey sweetie,you are blinkered.

Musomathsci I think there are boarding schools and boarding schools.

I went to boarding school,probably not one as nice as the one you chose for your daughter,but i remember one girl being expelled for being pregnant.

She was put on a plane home to her parents who were abroad in Saudi,her father was a diplomat iirc.

Teenagers will always find a way to meet each other,is it a nunnery?

Boarding schools aren't the same prisons they once were.

LostInWales Wed 07-Nov-12 20:49:19

So she goes to borstal not boarding school? grin. I went to one of the top, very 'proper' all girls boarding schools (not that anyone who knows me would ever guess) and there was always a way to meet boys. Are you aware that you are coming across as terribly rude.

Not to say that I imagine she is pregnant but your refusal to even accept that it could be a possibility is both amusing and irritating in equal measure. My father refused to believe I could possibly be pregnant and I was 25 and had been married for a year, it's probably a parent thing.

AnyFucker Wed 07-Nov-12 20:51:03

very subtle grin

LostInWales Wed 07-Nov-12 20:52:45

<Waves at EchoBitch> YY one girl in my year was on a plane back to her parents after they found her under the stage at a ball having sex with a boy from the nearest boys school. He only got suspended which I always thought was very unfair. Definitely broke the '3 feet rule' mind.

slambang Wed 07-Nov-12 20:57:29

You are being ridiculous getting offended at a question. Yes, you know your daughter but we don't know her so why not ask the most obvious and necessary question of all. In fact Theas' question was extremely delicately worded. I'm assuming you have no suspicions...?"

I went to an all girls boarding school too. With absolutely no interraction with boys at all. People still managed to get pregnant, have affairs with male teachers, smoke and drink anything to reduce the boredom.

EchoBitch Wed 07-Nov-12 20:58:27

Girls boarding school were bastards back then (when i went) ,totally different standards for boys/girls.

At Dbros school you got a letter home for smoking (and not for the first offence),at mine you got expelled. grin

lifesamystery Wed 07-Nov-12 20:59:39

And I wonder what you have all learnt about my life and circumstances by doing that advanced search?

What I don't understand is how telling it how it is is being rude. Some of the posts are being helpful but most of you are making assumptions based on zero knowledge which is pretty frustrating for me as well.

Exactly how posting a simple question as a concerned mum has led to accusations that my daughter is a liar that clearly must sleep around even while she is in prison I am not sure.

LostInWales Wed 07-Nov-12 21:00:11

Happy days eh slambang? Sitting on the school roof smoking and keeping gin in my tuckbox grin and not ever shagging boys from the local town, oh no.

LineRunner Wed 07-Nov-12 21:00:55

What Amberleaf said ^^.

AnyFucker Wed 07-Nov-12 21:03:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Wed 07-Nov-12 21:04:19

I'm just worried the OP is overprotecting her daughter. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now