How do you know what you actually look like?

(58 Posts)
MrsSeanBean Mon 22-Jun-09 21:43:22

This might seem like an odd question, but I never seem to be able to relate what I see in the mirror to reality.

I wish I could view a photo - or see another person - and know that 'that's about the size I am'.

Does anyone else know what I mean? Would it help if we all posted photos and truthfully said I was size --- here?

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 22-Jun-09 21:45:03

Do you know...I was thinking this almost exact same thing just this morning...but about my face. Whether people see what I see.

morningpaper Mon 22-Jun-09 21:45:12

IKWYM

My weight has varied wildly and I look EXACTLY the same to me blush - either a hideous fat moose (if pre-menstrual) or a complete babe (if ovulating)

Photos make me look like Ronnie Corbet which is NOT how I think I look

giddykipper Mon 22-Jun-09 21:45:22

I know exactly what you mean. I can't look at another person and think 'she's the same size as me'. I'm a lot taller than average which I think makes it difficult for me too.

Ivykaty44 Mon 22-Jun-09 21:46:52

I am a twelve

HeliumBee Mon 22-Jun-09 21:48:10

I was thinking this tonight too as I looked in the mirror and realised I was the sort of opposite way around!!!! (Yes it has taken me some years to realise this!!)
You could get a load of other women to undress and stand in a line- Gok Wan style so you can fit yourself in where you think you are..?!?!?
Sometimes I think I have body eu-morphia - I think I look like a babe and realise when I see pics that I am actually a right minger.

TrinityRhino Mon 22-Jun-09 21:49:41

I dont look closely at my face because I have a wonky smile and my nose isn't very nice and if I look with my left eye( I cant use them both together) then the right eyes wanders

I must look like a fucking ugly clown

I dont scrutinise because I dont want to change the way I feel I look iyswim

I feel I look ok ish

MagNacarta Mon 22-Jun-09 21:50:33

I completely understand and have the same problem with my hair colour. If I make a comment about someone being the same size as me dh often tells me I'm mad and am much slimmer.

MrsSeanBean Mon 22-Jun-09 21:50:34

I'm glad I'm not the only one here!

My weight has also varied drastically - but to me I always looked the same. It's only the evidence of clothes feeling loose or tight which tells me something is different.

IvyKaty - you look far smaller that what I imagine a 12 would look like!

janeite Mon 22-Jun-09 21:50:48

Gosh yes. I sometimes walk around town with dp asking 'is my bum like hers....or hers....or.....' - it doesn't help that I don't have a full length mirror so only ever see little bits of myself at a time!

I know what you mean.

I think I imagine myself to be very different to what I actually am, and definately couldn't look at someone else and know whther I am the same size as them.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Mon 22-Jun-09 21:52:27

I have this, I think I have that body dismorphia in reverse.
I don't think I look too bad but I look at other people in the shops buying the same dress size as me and think they look fat blush

MrsSeanBean Mon 22-Jun-09 21:52:46

Oh gosh Trinity, I'm leaving my face out of this, not brave enough to go there!

I just wish I knew what size 'frame' I was.

Someone at work today was describing someone to me (who I didn't think I knew) and said - 'about your size frame... bla bla bla' - and I then wanted to set off on a manic quest to see what this lady looked like (discreetly of course!) I haven't found out yet.

Rubyrubyrubyinthegame Mon 22-Jun-09 21:53:17

I haven't owned a full-length mirror for the past 12 years - so god knows what I look like!

I'm sure we are all beautiful wink

Sazisi Mon 22-Jun-09 21:53:40

never look down at your thighs when sitting on the loo!

MrsSeanBean Mon 22-Jun-09 21:54:20

I drive DH mad when we are out - asking him to try and spot someone who is the same size as me. He is wary to do so for fear of spotting the 'wrong' person I think! It would be great to see yourself as others see you.

AnyFucker Mon 22-Jun-09 21:54:39

well, I look like Claudia Schiffer

that is all I need to know hmm

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Mon 22-Jun-09 21:55:13

MrsSB my DH won't play that game with me any more.. for fear of upsetting me

MrsSeanBean Mon 22-Jun-09 21:55:13

No sazisi, also never look down at your thighs when seated on bed opposite full length mirror!

rookiemater Mon 22-Jun-09 21:55:23

I agree too. I'm size 12-14, well actually more 14 atm, which whilst not sylph like isn't gargantuan, yet on most recent photos I look like an elephant and have no chin. When I'm half a stone lighter I look completely different in photos, but I just don't understand why such a small amount of weight could possibly make such a big difference and would love to be able to look at someone else and go oh yes she has the same figure as me.

I'm in the 'think I look gorgeous and get a shock when I see a photo' camp, definitely!

giddykipper Mon 22-Jun-09 21:55:37

DP's boss once made a comment about me being so skinny that I might have a tough time giving birth. I'm size 16 round my hips.

giddykipper Mon 22-Jun-09 21:56:16

(Boss is a woman BTW!)

Someone filmed me this weekend when I was climbing and I was surprised at how I looked tbh, not really hwo I imagined I look at all. I was a lot smaller than I think lol.

MrsSeanBean Mon 22-Jun-09 21:56:41

Tee hee anyfucker, I did a sleb face recognition thing once and it said I looked like Claudia Schiffer - honest truth! (Yeah, right I thought!) I think it's because I have prominent cheekbones and the same hairstyle... but there, I fear, the resemblance ends!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now