Wamest winter coat - please help!

(43 Posts)
Littlebee76 Sat 24-Sep-16 17:05:59

Can anyone help me find the warmest winter coat which needs to cover my bum so reach mid thigh length. Needs to have a good and be waterproof. Pref be stuffed with down as I've read they are the warmest..

Please help!!

Littlebee76 Sat 24-Sep-16 17:06:46

*hood

PacificDogwod Sat 24-Sep-16 17:08:27

You need Land's End.

You SO need Land's End.
The best, warmest, comfiest, best-thought out winter jackets/coats in every conceivable length.
They are not cheap, but there is constantly a sale or discount code on the got.

I got one of the Stadium Squall coats for just over £50 recently and I intend to wear it non-stop until I retire to Spain (currently in rainy Scotland) grin

PacificDogwod Sat 24-Sep-16 17:10:59

Jacket Sale

Btw, their sizes are huge, I am a UK 10 to 12 which ought to be a US 6 to 8, but I get away with a 4/XS.
In no shape of form am I an extra small grin

PacificDogwod Sat 24-Sep-16 17:12:42

I got this one last year and it is like wearing a duvet. Shower resistant, not totally waterproof (but I think you'll struggle to fine down AND proper waterproofness).
It is almost TOO warm... grin

Littlebee76 Sat 24-Sep-16 17:14:03

That's helpful thanks pacific. Which one do you have and recommend that's really warm? They have loads!

FormerlyCatherineDeB Sat 24-Sep-16 17:16:34

Didrikson are fab. Not sure what mine is called now but it is by far the most waterproof and warmest coat I have ever had.

CMOTDibbler Sat 24-Sep-16 17:17:23

I agree with Lands End. I have a down parka (and two jackets and a gilet) from them, and it is incredibly warm.

There's usually a thread around this time of year about bum covering, warm, waterproof coats, so its worth a search of the archives. I have a lovely Merrell coat that looks like a duffel coat but is a technical water proof thanks to those threads smile

BlasianFashionista Sat 24-Sep-16 17:17:54

Canada Goose

saythatagain Sat 24-Sep-16 17:20:15

Didrikson; take a look on the Viking Kids web site.
It was on MN that I looked about 3 years ago, asking the very same question.
I did a lot of research.
Very, very happy with my purchase.

PoppyBirdOnAWire Sat 24-Sep-16 17:27:19

Uniqlo does lovely light down coats which are well-shaped.

FiftyNineOhEight Sat 24-Sep-16 17:34:32

I have an older version of PacificDogwood's coat. It has done me 7 winters so far including lots of standing around on touch lines. It isn't waterproof but it is very warm. It is probably the best value (in terms of pay per wear) piece of clothing I own. Lands End have got a bit more stylish in the last few years - mine is just straight up and down and the newer ones look like they are shaped at the waist.

carrotcakecupcake Sat 24-Sep-16 17:39:02

I'm lusting after one of these: http://www.finisterre.com/shop/womens/clothing/womens-outerwear/insulation/pipistral-coat-storm.html I have one of their gilets which is surprisingly cosy considering how lightweight it is.

OdinsLoveChild Sat 24-Sep-16 17:44:43

Didriksons ladies parka is bloody lovely. It's warm, waterproof, covers your bottom and wind proof too. Expensive but absolutely worth every penny grin

PacificDogwod Sat 24-Sep-16 18:57:00

Canada Goose is great quality and not bad for value, but really made for Canadian winters - I don't really think it gets quite cold enough.

The LE Stadium Squall coat (I've to the knee length version) has a drawstring on the inside which is great to stop draughts from going up ye grin, but from the outside still looks pretty barrel-like. I just don't care.

After a similar thread as this I bought the now discontinued Merrell CannotRememberItsName which was v good for waterproofness but not warm. And not quite roomy enough to wear something underneath. But it met my criteria at the time that it did not look like it belonged up a mountain and was ok on school runs, walking to work and walking on city streets.

bummyknocker Sat 24-Sep-16 19:01:33

I bought a uniqlo down COAT last year, very very warm.

SuckingEggs Sat 24-Sep-16 19:15:46

I've got a LE long commuter coat for midwinter. It is very warm. I ordered coats from LE for DC and DH, too.

Recently got a Michael Kors down coat from TK Maxx - really stylish and should be very warm. Was £99 from £250 so pretty good value. Down costs are usually very pricey.

SuckingEggs Sat 24-Sep-16 19:16:09

*coats !! Bloody phone.

Waxlyrically Sat 24-Sep-16 19:28:12

Thiscoat is the one I bought last year it's really warm and completely waterproof. Will last for years as its really well made.

SuckingEggs Sat 24-Sep-16 19:59:51

I've got that one, Wax!

Wolfiefan Sat 24-Sep-16 20:03:31

I bought a Marmot Chelsea coat. Totally waterproof and really warm. It is really expensive but I managed to get it reduced in Go Outdoors. Love it.

CallarMorvern Sat 24-Sep-16 20:40:48

North Face arctic Parka. No contest. The most money I've ever spent on an item of clothing ( I'm usually a Sainsbury's and Ebay kind of gal). I suffer really badly with the cold, but this coat is brill.

eurochick Sat 24-Sep-16 20:57:36

Get a ski jacket. They are super warm and wind proof.

Waxlyrically Sat 24-Sep-16 21:00:35

You have great taste in coats obviously sucking smile . Maybe it will turn out to be the new MN coat!

SunnySomer Sat 24-Sep-16 21:06:52

Skogstad pippa coat from vikingkids.co.uk - waterproof down coat which is the best coat I've ever owned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now