Tretinoin, AHA (Glycolic), Niacinamide, Vitamin C - how do you layer?

(47 Posts)
CoolToned Sat 26-Mar-16 21:20:55

For those who are using these (or some) how do you do it?

shereebobbins Sat 26-Mar-16 22:55:59

You can't use tretinoin and glycolic acid at the same time nor vitamin c serum and niacinamide at the same time.
What I do is Vit c serum in the morning and tret at night, wait an hour then use a niacinamide serum.
I then use glycolic acid once a week, if that as I can't tolerate it more often than that, some people can. I think it's overkill.

shereebobbins Sat 26-Mar-16 23:01:30

Should have said if I use glycolic, I miss out the tretinoin that night.

mintbiscuit Sun 27-Mar-16 13:43:09

You can use niacinamide and vit c together. It just depends on if the vit c is an 'active' type at a low ph (L AA) or non active like MAP or SAP, which are stable at a higher ph. The reason you shouldn't use niacinamide together with low ph vit c serum is the risk of converting it to niacin which may cause flushing. Not everyone gets it and the amount converted is tiny.

I would use vit c, glycolic and niacinamide in AM and tret and niacinamide in PM.

mintbiscuit Sun 27-Mar-16 13:47:05

And agree with sheree that too frequent aha use is overkill if you are using tret.

shereebobbins Sun 27-Mar-16 16:54:13

You're quite right Mint. I use L ascorbic acid.
I won't use niacinamide with vit c as I do go red faced if I do, even with an hours waiting time.
Do you diy mint? I was thinking about adding MAP to the niacinamide serum

mintbiscuit Sun 27-Mar-16 17:25:38

Keep meaning to diy sheree but never get my arse in gear! Currently using the skinceuticals vit c serum and (touch wood) not having any problems with the niacinamide in my products after.

If you are thinking of switching out your LAA for MAP I wouldn't as the results are nowhere as good with the MAP stuff. However worth a shot adding it into your PM routine. I use a lotion with MAP and arbutin for an extra whitening boost. I know MAP can sometimes be tricky to diy with because of the salts. I think it can change the consistency of products when you add it in so you are advised to mix it with something else first. It might be ok in a serum though confused . What niacinamide serum are you using? I'm in the market for one at the moment.

shereebobbins Sun 27-Mar-16 18:01:05

I make my own vit c and niacinamide serum. Hyaluronic too.
My skin has never been as good, I was always ruddy faced and it's virtually gone now.
After the initial outlay it costs pennies. You should give it a go.

CoolToned Sun 27-Mar-16 21:08:16

Please share how you DIY vit C, niacinamid, and hyaluronic, sherebobbins!

mintbiscuit Sun 27-Mar-16 21:49:56

Yes sheree please share! Would be really interested to know who your suppliers are too. (That sounds a bit dodge grin ) . Especially where you get the niacinamide from!

Wellhellothere1 Sun 27-Mar-16 22:21:50

Wise ladies-why should we not use tretinoin and glycolic acid together? Is it because of the risk of irritation or does this combination reduce the effectiveness of tretinoin? Reason I'm asking is I often use both at night and not had any problems.
Is salicylic acid ok with tretinoin? I use this more often at night.
And I apply tretinoin, then hyaluronic acid serum, then moisturiser with niacinamide. Is that combination ok?
Gah! I find this so confusing despite having a BSc and MSc in pharmacy. blush

shereebobbins Sun 27-Mar-16 22:32:30

I got the recipes from a site called Holy snails.
Simple C+E+Ferulic acid and the niacinamide serum is the holy snail water.
There is a hyaluronic serum (stock) on there too.
I highly recommend them as I've seen some really dodgy stuff out there.
I bought what I could from ebay and amazon, and the rest from sea actives and I'm going to try a site called bulk actives.I got niacinamide and hyaluronic from ebay.
I've since got the confidence to tweak the recipes too. Just make sure you test the ph of the vit c serum, it's so important.
Hope I've explained well enough. I can't articulate as well as you do Mint.

scandichick Sun 27-Mar-16 22:36:25

How do you get tretinoin? Is it prescription only? Bit intimidated by the DIY thing...

shereebobbins Sun 27-Mar-16 22:39:58

I can't use glycolic and tret together as my face would fall off. If you can then I think it's fine. I did use a salicylic acid toner for a while but ended up with really dry patches so stopped.
At night I use tret, wait a while then use niacinamide serum, hyaluronic serum and moisturiser.
I think if it works for you and your happy with the results, then keep doing it.

shereebobbins Sun 27-Mar-16 22:49:52

I get tretinoin from ebay and from abroad when I'm on my hols.

mintbiscuit Sun 27-Mar-16 22:51:39

wellhello if AHA and tret are working ok for you no reason to stop. As long as you are waiting 20/30mins for aha to do it's stuff before tret. I'm like sheree in that my face would fall off!

scandichick tret is prescription only but I get mine on the net because the nhs won't prescribe for anti aging

sheree* I know holy snails! Have even bought the ingredients for her vit c serum recipe (but not got my meth lab set up yet grin ) Will check out those sites. You've just re-inspired me to start diying again. I may call on your expert knowledge when I start cooking!

Wellhellothere1 Sun 27-Mar-16 22:59:29

Thanks for the advice sheree and mint.
I'm actually wondering if my skin is tolerating tretinoin and glycolic ok or if my latest batch of tretinoin (from pharmacy Geoff) may be dodgy as I've not experienced any peeling etc with it. It almost feels just like a moisturiser...
That's what I get for buying prescription only medicines online!

shereebobbins Sun 27-Mar-16 23:01:33

Oh dear I'm no expert yet but it has been my favourite hobby for the last 12 months or so.
I'd be more than happy to share my limited knowledge though.
If you do make the vit c will you let me know how it compares to the skinceuticals.
The recipe is supposed to be a total rip for it.

shereebobbins Mon 28-Mar-16 00:13:21

I peeled for three months or more when I started using tret. And I started so slowly with it too. It took me nine months before I could use it every day.
Maybe it's dodgy or you could possibly have really tolerant skin.
If I use too many actives I peel terribly and it's really not a good look.
I'll see if the seller I buy from has any on ebay.They sell out quite quickly.

shereebobbins Mon 28-Mar-16 00:23:22

My usual seller doesn't seem to have any for sale at the moment, but there are some sellers there from Poland but it's more than I usually pay for it and I've never used them. It's the Retino one.
I'm off to Poland in a fortnight. I hope the pharmacies sell it there without prescription. Anyone know?

mintbiscuit Mon 28-Mar-16 08:37:06

wellhello I get mine from pharmacy geoff and haven't had a problem with it being dodgy (yet!). One way of telling is if the product has a batch number on. What strength are you using? It may be that your skin has built up tolerance to it now?

Wolpertinger Mon 28-Mar-16 12:36:04

Ah, I have found my people grin

I do the following but not at the moment because it's cold in my bathroom so I got out of the routine

AM:
Cleanser - Avene gentle cleanser
Salicylic toner - Clinique Mild Exfoliating until it runs out when I shall go back to Paula's Choice 2% BHA or try CosRX I have oily skin and sebaceous filaments so don't do glycolic
Vit C- Hylamide Vit C
SPF/niacinamide/ceramides - Cerave AM. Won't use this in the summer, will do Cerave PM and then Heliocare gel on top

PM:
Cleanser - Avene again
Tretinoin - Retin A
Niacinamide/ceramides - Cerave pm
Bit extra for anywhere a bit red looking under my glasses Avene Cicalfate

When I'm really organized I do a peel from SR skincare once a week as well.

shereebobbins Mon 28-Mar-16 12:57:06

I have the cosrx salicylic and it left me a peeling mess, though it's well liked by the Asian skincare users. I think I'm just too sensitive for too many actives and tret is non negotiable so it had to go.
Cerave pm is next on my list. I love the hydrating cleanser.

Wolpertinger Mon 28-Mar-16 13:14:41

Don't tell me that, people were raving about it!

Cerave cleanser is also on my list having been convinced that not all foaming cleansers are evil by the Asian skincare people as well.

I don't tend to v sensitive skin though so do get away with a lot. I love the Cerave pm. The am version isn't as good. PM much better but when starting tret I did need a bit more on the very peely/red days and obvs if you are niacinamide sensitive you won't like it. However there is nothing else on the market like it with the same amount of actives at that price and even lower in the USA Just shows how most products are a complete rip off.

mintbiscuit Mon 28-Mar-16 13:45:18

Me again smile

I really love the cerave PM lotion. Simple but very effective. I use it AM and PM.

Not that impressed with the Cerave cleansers. The foaming one dries me out and the hydrating one leaves an odd film on my skin. DH really likes the foaming one though.

I have the cosrx salicylic lotion. It's not for me; causes breakouts everytime I use it so I don't think my skin can handle acids and tret. Have only used it 4 times so am trying to flog it on AB exchange!

Have you tried the Superdrug Simple pure serum? I use this under my cerave pm when my skin feels a bit delicate. Lots of ceramides and HA like the cerave pm but sadly no niacinamide. Love the price too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now