Operation Renovation - The Christmas Countdown (part 2)

(792 Posts)
HelgatheHairy Tue 01-Oct-13 18:51:19

Our new home

Dilidali Sun 29-Dec-13 20:24:20

smile bye

ControlGeek Sun 29-Dec-13 20:16:22

<waves goodbye to our lovely old thread before moving over to our bright, shiny new one>

vvviola Sun 29-Dec-13 19:05:37

Nothing to apologise for at all Dilidale - I'm just a bit clueless when it comes to clothes! (Hence why I need the help of this thread)

We're in NZ, not Oz, but yes clothes seem very pricey here for not great quality or fit. There are a few notable exceptions and the sales tend to be ok, so I'm not totally out of clothes, but most of my standard clothes are ones from home.

Right, I'm going to pop over and look at the Easter thread

StyleOverSubstance Sun 29-Dec-13 17:10:59

thanks Helga, have posted on new thread

HelgatheHairy Sun 29-Dec-13 14:45:18

I've kicked a new thread off here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/1950937-Easter-renovators-Come-one-come-all?msgid=43937685#43937685.

Connection still dodgy so can we all keep an eye out for new people wondering what I'm in about as I'll not be around loads.

HelgatheHairy Sun 29-Dec-13 12:00:16

That wasn't supposed to be a link - it was supposed to be control I'm looking at you

HelgatheHairy Sun 29-Dec-13 11:58:45

Hello all!

The bad news is I've lost wifi. A branch broke the phone line on the way down and it's going to be 5-6 days before it's back! fshock The good news is I have 3G but it comes and goes.

If I get a chance later I'll kick off the Easter thread but I only have my phone so it might be a bit sparce to start with so would someone I'm looking at you be willing to get links up if I don't manage it? It's my birthday today so DH is taking over the bulk of child care so I can laze around and read.

Dilidali Sun 29-Dec-13 09:54:16

Hehe, jemima, yes, I do wear blusher, a cream one, but it blends beautifully when I am tanned. I think I need to go and spend my boots points, it looks odd on pale skin smile basically, it is the wrong shade but I didn't twig until you pointed it out, so thank you smile. All I did was stop wearing it.
Oh, I do hope you go away for the weekend!!! There was an offer on coupon the other day that sounded really nice smile

vvv, sorry blush I only asked because I have something identical to what you described, very christmassy, also bought on sales for peanuts many years ago, from house of fraser. I was looking on the Boden website, they have a couple of 'perfect for sunny Australia' dresses on sale and thought of you. Are clothes really expensive in Oz?
Hope you have a lovely barbie! I am soooo envious!

Party time today! One of my best friends is throwing a champagne party in the afternoon, should be fun.
I wonder how Lucy is getting on? And helga?

Have a lovely sunday!

vvviola Sun 29-Dec-13 06:25:28

Dilidali - embarrassingly I had to google that to figure out what you were talking about (and nearly bought one online from John Lewis at a massive reduction!)....

Unfortunately not, they look stunning. It was a very old dress that I bought in house of Fraser years ago, from their "classic" aka older lady section (my Mum has an amazing talent for rummaging through racks and racks of unsuitable stuff to find a gem). It's about the only decent thing that fits me now. I really need to do something about my weight!

I'm starting my good intentions tomorrow as we've only one more festive event (barbecue at DH's lovely aunt's house) next Saturday and if I wait til New Year I'll be another half a stone heavier again shock

Dilidali do you wear blusher? I didn't used to due to memories of my big sister and her 1980s make up but I have hit an age now where a little bit makes me look a lot healthier, especially at this time of year.

A weekend away with the fairies sounds lovely. It wouldn't work on our house though due to the DC and their hundreds of weekend activities! I have however got my DM to agree to have mine for the weekend at the beginning of Feb so that DH and I can have a weekend away. I've seen a good special offer in a nice hotel, I just need to convince DH now. He wants to spend the money on a steam mop!hmm

Dilidali Sat 28-Dec-13 23:47:21

style start whenever, really, doesn't matter smile

vvv was your Christmas dress a fenn wright manson?

Dilidali Sat 28-Dec-13 23:44:36

Roughly, thought about doing the squat, abdo and plank challenge as an every day routine.
Walks every Sunday unless it is pouring, in which case it's off to the pool with us! Continue with my normal classes twice a week.
Very little choice for team sports where I am, so I have bullied DD into playing tennis/badminton with me from April onwards. Perhaps the word would be threaten come bribe.

Have been quite good, only ate half of whatever. That includes mince pies, cake slice etc. DH is bewildered. I'm more bewildered than him, I don't fit in most of my clothes!!!

Done my toenails, a mad red/orange/my teeth hurt colour from OPI, looks very summery and happy. And bright.

Booked stuff for january in my princessing diary. Haircut, nails, a couple of exhibitions, a weekend 'away' with the fairies, I'm at home, just imagining I''m away to just read and relax.

I am going to buy a sewing machine. Got lots of dresses that I love but been worn to death (think at least 5 years old), all bobbled under arms etc, mainly jersey. So I thought some of them can be turned into skirts, the bottom bit looks alright hmm.

The main thing for January though is to wear lipstick. Will buy a proper contour pencil etc. i look like death, sooo pale and pasty not even foundation helps! I need sun!!! I look weird with bronzer on, so....

Still hunting for shoes smile calling, link!!!!

StyleOverSubstance Sat 28-Dec-13 22:40:12

Hope problem with fallen/balancing tree sorted out now Helga, losing internet access is like losing a limb for us, ours went down for a couple of weeks and it was hell. Its amazing how reliant on it you become without realising how it has crept into your life, was unable to do food shop online, and even simple things like looking up a phone number to get someone out to do a repair, google info for homework, etc, etc never mind the important things like wasting hours on mumsnet.....

Am wondering whether to start my challenge the day after New Years Day, as I fear I may be feeling a little too fragile after the NYE celebrations, so for me, 2nd Jan may be a better choice!

Dilidali Sat 28-Dec-13 16:13:46

Hello! Hope you all had a good Christmas smile

So, it's been a good princessing thread, here's to the Easter one!
When is it we start? Helga, hope your t'internet is ok.

CallingAllEngels Sat 28-Dec-13 16:02:14

Good idea style. I must dig out a notebook.

Hope the tree's moved quickly helga

I also got some photos printed a few weeks ago and one of them is from my 15k race in midNovember. I'm going to stick it in front of the goodies cupboard to remind myself to get my trainers on and keep my nose out of the biscuits!

I'm just about to buy myself a nice pair of black heels (the same style as the blue ones you bought a few weeks ago jemima ) and another batch of stuff from my favourite vintage website ( a black bolero, pearl drop earrings, blacks cat's eye sunglasses and a cute white blouse that I can wear with the circle skirt I have but never seem to wear). DH is asleep so I can get away with it!

Have had a make-up free day today, in newish bootcut jeans and long, fitted stripey jumper. Hair looks great thanks to blow drying last night.

Am on holiday this coming week so hope to get otuside in the fresh air, declutter my wardrobe and take time everyday to renovate!

StyleOverSubstance Sat 28-Dec-13 15:37:27

Have just got back from supermarket and whilst there, spotted a 'project book' in the stationery section, so have bought it to use for my 'princessing progress'. It has one of those curly wurly metal spines, so the pages stay open properly and has section marker tabs every 30 or so pages, so am weighing up whether to use it as a sort of 'page a day' diary with the section dividers splitting up each month, so I can put down all the things I should be doing each day and tick them off or to use the sections for each individual area I want to improve on and record progress. Really need to make a success of this challenge, so am going to try every trick in the book to help myself get there.

As I usually work with lists for the family stuff, so we know who should be doing what and where and when, the idea is that I have a record book so I know where I am up to with diet, fitness and princessing and can keep a tab on what needs to be done daily, weekly, monthly, etc and the hope is that it will keep me motivated for those days when enthusiasm is running low as I can see at a glance what is required from day to day and week to week and looking back, will be able to see what progress has been made.

Have even got some coloured pens to make writing pretty!!

I just saw your post on FB Helga, I hope they sort the tree out quickly.

Hmmm, Easter renovation... sounds like a plan!

I made it through Christmas looking pretty good (even if I say so myself grin ). I got my hair and nails done last weekend and worked out each day's outfits in advance. However I have spent too much time in the Quality Street box and I'm sure I've put half a stone on this week alone...

So, action is needed. In amongst my sale shopping yesterday I bought a new pair of running tights to replace the ones that are now too big. I also bought some Sistema containers: this lunch cube, this soup mug and this breakfast pot for taking healthy lunches to work when I start my new job. I have also been to Morrisons and stocked up on slightly healthier food rather than picking on all the Christmas leftovers in the fridge. I discovered New Covent Garden Skinny Soups, which I haven't seen before.

Looking forward to the Easter thread.

ControlGeek Sat 28-Dec-13 12:14:48

Oh no helga how worrying! Hopefully sod's law will not come into play today, and the tree will be removed safely and without disruption to your internet.

My six week six pack and extreme shred dvds arrived yesterday and I was planning on using one of them today, but feeling like I'm going in for another cold so not sure if it's a good idea to push my body with exercise. Will see how I feel later on.

HelgatheHairy Sat 28-Dec-13 12:06:37

Due to the position a tree has fallen there's a chance I'm going to lose my internet within the next hour and not get it back for days. If that happens can someone else please start the Easter renovation thread?

Hopefully all will be ok but the tree didn't fall, it's stuck between the telephone pole and another tree. I currently have 4 men wandering round it going ...what if we do this....what if we do that.

CallingAllEngels Fri 27-Dec-13 18:15:22

Hope everyone is having a good Christmas break. Just back from the UK. Horrible weather out there.

Got lots of comliments from family and friends on how 'well' I was looking (I.e. actually wearing make up, jewellery and contact lenses) and lots of comments about cl I thes. Didn't get any pictures of me looking glam though!

I am definitely up for a renovating thread. I weighed myself on Christmas day and I have only been this heavy 2 months post ds's birth (2 years ago).

My skin is dry from hotel air, central heating and not enough water. I've eaten so much, not only this week but the last 2 months (misery induced post-mc).

For my own mental health I need to step away from obsessing over ttc, get my running shoes on and my shred out, watch my diet, clear out my wardrobe, continue planning beautiful outfits and use all the lovely face masks/body cream/conditioners etc that I have stashed in the cupboard.

I haven't bought any sales baragains but am 9lanning on hitting my fave website tomorrow for soem lovely bits. Also goign to sign up for my 10k in May.

Looking forward to the new thread Helga!

HelgatheHairy Fri 27-Dec-13 14:23:59

Righteo. I'll kick off a new thread today or tomorrow. DD is having a difficult few days so need to wait till she's asleep or at least someone else holding her before I can organise myself with links etc

Any sales buys? I got a wine plaid shirt for wearing over my skinny jeans, a chunky knit (that has a full length zip on the back which I'm not crazy about but it's nice from the front ) and a black & white jumper that I thought would be loose fitting but isn't. I like it anyway though.

Hope you all came through the weather in one piece. We have 3 trees down. One is being held by the trees next to it which is lucky or it would have landed on the car!

lucysmam Fri 27-Dec-13 13:31:02

Afternoon all smile

Control I am a bit envy of your hangover...dp is on earlies so we've been very restrained this week!

I'm stuck for somewhere to use my straighteners here confused If I stick them in our bedroom window the travellers on trains can see through the window hmm ....kitchen isn't big enough & living room doesn't have enough room atm!

Am off shopping for some bits and bobs for the bathroom shortly when dp gets home. I've given myself a £20 budget to get toothbrush mug, soap dish & something nice to go on the window ledge...not sure what confused It doesn't need painting for now just prettyfying a bit & since it's the smallest room I'm starting there.

I'm feeling less than pretty myself today....I'm running out of clothes to wear so am now onto old stuff that I never wear (I seem to have more than everyone else so have been sending theirs to dp's mums to be washed while I wait for my washer glass and seal). Still have a full face of make up on & my hair's fairly neatly tied back because it's blowing a gale out there & I'll only end up windswept.

Are we using up this thread or starting a new one?

Style has anyone asked if you want to join our little fb group yet? smile

StyleOverSubstance Fri 27-Dec-13 11:50:30

Genius Control, pure genius, Easter Renovators would be perfect. Considering you are feeling sad and envy, that was a pretty inspired thought! Hope things get better as the day goes on.

Helga, will you start us off again with the list of basic princessing and some links to the earlier threads again? Then we can post our own adapted list and away we go again. (fsmile am excited - its like Christmas all over again!!)

ControlGeek Fri 27-Dec-13 11:17:22

Hope everyone is still enjoying their cake and wine!! I have the hangover from hell today, and it's my first day back in the office too envy <- that is how I am looking right now - I even had to take a sickbowl and dry biscuits in the car coming in, just in case! Thankfully not needed.

helga Good Friday is 108 days away from 1st Jan, how about we have an Easter Renovators thread? Get us ready for all that chocolate grin

HelgatheHairy Fri 27-Dec-13 10:39:36

Don't know if anyone is going to see this.

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas (and still having a good one)

I'm not too sure what format the new year thread should take - any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now