What would you buy in the USA?

(56 Posts)
Lighthousekeeping Thu 26-Sep-13 22:34:19

Any bargains to be had?

Blondie1984 Thu 26-Sep-13 22:37:33

Anything from Sephora - they do lots of exclusives
Victoria Secret underwear

roseinwinter Thu 26-Sep-13 22:51:33

I've just got back - I bought 2 pairs of levis curve ID jeans which are brilliant. I also bought some tops and accessories from J Crew and Madewell. Oh and converse. All are cheaper over there anyway, despite the exchange rate, but lots of shops also had deals on - eg 25% off everything in JC, 40% off when you spend $250 in Levis. So you can get some amazing bargains.
Have a great time!

roseinwinter Thu 26-Sep-13 22:53:25

Forgot to say that American brands like Marc Jacobs are also much more affordable over there. And Macy's had a great sale on about a week ago. Don't bother with Gap, of anything it seemed more expensive.

Lighthousekeeping Thu 26-Sep-13 22:59:39

What's with all the Soap n Glory stuff in Sephora? That can't be any cheaper. I don't want to make any mistakes.

I second Sephora.

I always buy perfume rollerballs there as I hardly ever find them here but Sephora and lots of the main fragrances do them over there. Fragrances in general seem to be cheaper.

You can look on the Sephora website before you go to compare prices. Kiehls, OPI, Mac, Nars, Benefit, Clinique and Bobbi Brown are cheaper, but I never think its by that much. I like buying brands you can't/struggle get in the UK like Tarte, Kate Somerville and Make Up Forever.

I love going to Duane Reade in Ny or Walgreens, both are 'drugstores' but as a beauty junky they make me happy.

Everyone seems to buy Uggs, Converse and Nike when they go. They're not something I'm into so can't say how much cheaper it is. If you have teens who like trainers though, its good for getting them special designs.

Kate Spade, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Victoria Secret, DVF, American Apparel, Hollister and just generally American brands are all cheaper, although I wouldn't say anything is 'cheap'. Just look on websites before you go.

Mydelilah Thu 26-Sep-13 23:06:24

Converse. DM is going in a few weeks and this is what I've asked her to bring back.

Also last year I bought an iPad mini for DH's Christmas - 1/3 cheaper there and more importantly in stock just before Christmas, when all sold out here...but this is style and beauty isn't it, so iPad probably off topic smile

Longleggedlovely Fri 27-Sep-13 08:14:30

I would second all of the above but add that it depends where you're going and if you can get to an outlet mall, I get alot of gap but only at the outlet. I also really like American eagle.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 27-Sep-13 23:10:38

I don't think we'll be going to any outlets in NYC as we won't have time. Is Keihls any cheaper?

mathanxiety Sat 28-Sep-13 07:12:19

Sunscreen and huge containers of aspirin or tylenol or advil or ibuprofen.

DoItTooJulia Sat 28-Sep-13 07:15:46

Curel cream. You can't get it here.

InsertBoringName Sat 28-Sep-13 07:18:55

If you're interested in cameras or general electronic equipment then B and H is worth a visit Obviously not style or beauty but my Dad and Brother always make a beeline for it if they are in NYC. DB got his Nexus 7 from there last year significantly cheaper. But be warned, the owners are Jewish and they don't open on a Saturday because it's the Sabbath.

mathanxiety Sat 28-Sep-13 18:00:10

Earphones and other accessories may also be cheaper. (Again, not S&B). Watch out for electrical compatibility though.

There's a discount place called Century21 (not to be confused with real estate company of the same name) that has a few locations in NYC if you like rummaging and have no specific item in mind. -- locations It can be quite a physical experience, rather elbow to elbow, unless you go early or in mid afternoon.

Awks Sat 28-Sep-13 18:14:22

Macy's give 10% off gift cards also to international visitors - you can use these on sale stuff too. You just ask for one at the store guest services

Jeans! I bought 3 pairs in Lucky brand last time I was there.

cocolepew Sat 28-Sep-13 18:19:04

Milky Ways, they're lush. And painkillers.

snowlie Sat 28-Sep-13 18:40:11

Saltwater sandals. Boots at Free people. A kitchen aid and accessories, a waffle maker, microplane graters. Neoprene lunch bags. A magic bullet mini food processor.....oh I love a kitchen gadget!

itsnothingoriginal Sat 28-Sep-13 20:56:19

I'd head straight to 'Old Navy' and buy most of what they have in stock! Love the stuff and really wish there was one in the UK. DH actually bought himself some clothes from there too <unheard of>

LakeFlyPie Wed 09-Oct-13 23:04:47

Why do painkillers always get recommended as something to buy from USA?
I've always found Aldi paracetamol and ibuprofen adequate, am I missing something?
Perhaps I don't have enough pain in my life, thankfully!
What else could I buy?

Sephora, Sephora, Sephora! It's amazing. I highly recommend Tarte - 'Lights, Camera, Lashes' mascara, one of the few I have used that doesn't clump, flake, or irritate my eyes. Benefit and Too Faced are cheaper in the States, and Sephora have a great range of both of them.

Their own-brand make-up is good too, and their brushes are excellent. A Clarisonic is well worth picking up also, my skin has been fabulous since I started using one.

Re the kitchen stuff, Williams Sonoma and Crate and Barrel are wonderful.

I would buy Tylenol (as it is so cheap for a big drum of them), but please be aware. Tylenol is acetaminophen, which is what paracetamol is called in the US. I say this because my folks brought some back from the US once, and when my Dad had the flu badly, he said 'I've just taken some paracetamol, might take some Tylenol, too'. As with the brand name and the fact that it is called acetaminophen in the States, he didn't realise that he was almost doubling up on paracetamol, which is very hard on one's liver, so too much can be dangerous.

WeeNoggi Thu 10-Oct-13 03:26:44

Avalon organics and Burts Bees stuff - much cheaper there and great for sensitive / problem skin.

JustinBsMum Thu 10-Oct-13 03:56:08

Voltage is much lower in USA so not sure that electrical stuff would work in the UK.

GeordieCherry Thu 10-Oct-13 04:49:25

Bath & Body Works
Christmas Tree Shop

rubyrubyruby Thu 10-Oct-13 05:32:45

Levi's
Converse
Superdry

RainierWolfcastle Thu 10-Oct-13 06:20:59

I didn't like shopping in the US

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now