Frugal Fashion, with links

(53 Posts)
cheeseandchive Sat 09-Mar-13 23:12:54

In the spirit of the original Frugal Fashion thread (see here), this is for those of us who want to make the most of what we've got and spend carefully.

Hopefully this will be a thread where we can share links to support our ideas/opinions/examples, with the purpose of helping each other spend our money more wisely.

For those of us that want to, we can flick between this thread and the original and the two can work together!

Sorry, hello to NotMostPeople!

Asos usually have really quick delivery so please let us know how you get on.

Hi all - this thread is slow which I guess is A Good Thing. Well done on the not spending!

I managed to get into town today and bought these Aldo flats Have a slight concealed wedge, very simple but will go with most of my work outfits. Lovely soft leather. Shop Assistant (another Magda - or perhaps the same one??) very helpful.

Got home and thought the shoes reminded me of something.. not a million miles from these Lanvin flats.

Also tried these which are a contender for summer sandals.

NotMostPeople Sat 16-Mar-13 09:15:31

Can I be your friend too?

I've been after some chunky white brogues and just ordered these asos. I'm a bit concerned about the soles, but at that price I think it's worth a try.

FrugalFashionista Sat 16-Mar-13 09:00:27

I'm clearly the queen of atrocious typing <sigh>

Adding one more planned purchase to my list: versatile simple nude/silver/poudré party shoes. Possibly pointy, kitten heel or slingbacks.

Not sure if these are helpful, but I find the following three blogs useful for keeping up with trends --but not mindlessly rushing to buy anything--:

Le Catch (I love her on Pinterest, she pins the best looks), South Molton St Style and <guilty pleasure - she's a reality star> The Style Diary by Millie Macintosh.

FrugalFashionista Thu 14-Mar-13 18:06:26

Bill @Magda.
Adding white jeans to my planned puchase list. Have resisted them for a long time (am a mother of two toddlers) but they will go with many items I already own. Looking for a frugal eBay alternative first.

Ok, confessions of the serial nonreturner continue.
Oh Father I have sinned but I'm making penance now:
two returns, one customer complaint, plus four swaps packed up and ready to go <whew> What does Hell look like? I think my personal hell would be all about making returns and queuing at the post office for all eternity wink

Teta excellent reasoning - one or two is just right. <my Hell will also be cluttered with multiples>

Maybe Magda is a secret frugalista? wink

Aldo ones turned up, 'packed with care by Magda'. Well Magda, you weren't that bloody careful as they're the wrong flipping colour.

Lovely shoes, but I don't need a black pair. Returns are a faff (registering online and printing out label).

Think I need to get into town and try on. Easier said than done.

Grrrr.

teta Thu 14-Mar-13 09:47:01

Cheese...,i also have the Matalan vests.I wear mine every day and have several for the gym-they wash brilliantly with no signs of fading.Matalan is really good for basics but is definitely not a luxe shopping environment!
Frugal,you are so right about multiple purchases.I bought 5 Charlotte Sparre silk scarves the other day.The colours are lovely but i think i will keep 2 and return the others[love the pale blue one with swans on and a coral one].I also bought the one that Amber has shown on her blog[with lizards].Black however is draining on me and dd2 said it was suitable for halloween onlyconfused.

Yup, back in the post yesterday.

Fingers crossed for the Aldo's, otherwise it's back to the drawing board.

Good news about the M & S jeans.

FrugalFashionista Thu 14-Mar-13 06:20:28

Well done Teddy, I'm so happy about the jeans!
Being frugal means that you think through the options and only make a purchase if it really fills a gap. If the jeans enable to wear the rest of your items well and feel good about yourself, purchase justified!

It's good to remember the false lure of duplicate/triplicate items. That's where the slippery slope starts and that's where I struggle. I'm always tempted to get more than one of the items I like but almost never enjoy the 2nd/3rd/4th similar item as much as the original.

And yy to remembering to return items that don't fit.

cheeseandchive Wed 13-Mar-13 18:28:30

Hurrah teddy, another great review for M+S jeans - these are definitely shaping up to be my next buy.

Bill, are you making sure to return the KG ones? Just a friendly frugal reminder ;)

Awks, what is the quality like on the matalan vests you mentioned? I have some vouchers for there, but I wear cotton under-vests so much I wanted to make sure I got ones that wash/wear well and will last me a long time.

Ilovemyteddy Wed 13-Mar-13 15:30:09

I bought some Eva jeans from M&S today and they are amazing. Perfect fit, give you a lovely shape and hold in the bits that need to be held in. In my defence at buying something when I am trying to be frugal I needed to replace two pairs of jeans that were given to me by a friend, which are now too big, and I just sold some clothes, which i was planning to eBay, to another friend grin

The new Eva's fit in perfectly with other things in my wardrobe and I won't need to buy anything else for ages. Frugality rocks.

Limoncellolovely Wed 13-Mar-13 10:48:09

Bill Know exactly what you mean about KG how do they get away with charging so much for pu ???? Make your feet really sweaty !!!! glances down at faux suede ankle boots accusingly

Just dropping in to say KG flats arrived, elegant but I don't love them (reminiscent of barbie feet) and 100% PU (frugal fail - read the label before ordering!).

Aldo ones on their way.

issimma Tue 12-Mar-13 14:49:36

Outnet Clearance is a PITA, but I did just score some Falke tights. Trying to buy less, buy better but am still shock at how expensive tights are. Still, I am (soon to be) the proud owner of two good pairs in my colours rather than a drawer full of scrotty black ones they'd better make my legs look amazing.

In other frugal-ish news, I got underwear via ebay (new, although was quite an eye opener at how much 'needs laundering' sets go for - BOAK).

I am working on my list, having lurked on the other thread.

Can anyone help me with this one in the meantime?
Suggestions for outfits to go with this jacket, I'm 5.6, sz 14,really big bust.

trendobservations.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/amy-harrington-jacket.jpg

issimma Tue 12-Mar-13 13:33:44

Fellow frugalistas, I'm looking for slouchy knits in muted (summer) colours. Send links this way!

Some extremely cheap Iris and Ink cashmere in the Outnet clearance here. Just bought a jumper and a cardigan for £45 total!

Just seen this thread, marking place to read and get some minimalist shopping ideas smile

Awks Tue 12-Mar-13 12:07:15

Re the Hush long vests for layering, I think that long vests are the best invention but as you usually just see the bottom i wouldnt pay that. Matalan have some really long vests in for £4 and I've bought 3 colours and can honestly say they are brilliant. They aren't on the website but they are £4 in store and they have black, ecru and khaki - worth a look at that price anyway.

FrugalFashionista Tue 12-Mar-13 10:21:09

Vintage Dior skirt for a frugalista. I see these in chichi shop windows and fashion parties right now and a fashion insider bought one last year, so if you want to do demure on a shoestring, go for it. (Not my item obviously and no idea whether authentic but my friend found hers in a thrift shop for a song.)

cheeseandchive Mon 11-Mar-13 20:17:17

Thanks for the reviews on the clothes, definitely helps me make my mind up! Love thinking about other people's purchases too, I'm getting a sense of satisfaction as if it were my own money being spent well.

Just checked out the swap-shop FF, it's brilliant! I won't be on it much I don't think, don't have much to swap - chucked out two massive bags of stuff just before you started this thread! Well done FF, great work!

FrugalFashionista Mon 11-Mar-13 20:10:44

Swapboard here!
People who have provided swaps or posted on this thread (or the other Frugal Fashion thread) can reserve items tonight. Reserve by commenting on Pinterest. Happy swapping! wink

BeCool Mon 11-Mar-13 12:08:37

Cheese I am wearing my M&S Marilyn's today (I wear them A LOT). They are brilliant. I wore bootleg jeans for years and (ex)P talked me into trying straights - they so work.

These were the best ones I found for my shape and I got them during a 20% off denim offer so win win. No knee bagginess, good mid weight denim, comfy & holding shape well.

Ihatemytoes Mon 11-Mar-13 11:58:03

I bought my maxi skirt from boohoo.com last year. It's washed well, and isn't see through. i also ordered two maxi of the maxi dresses that penfold linked. Quality wasn't that great, and they were very narrow at the hem making it difficult to walk in them without waddling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now