Shampoo/ conditioner for itchy, sensitive scalp?

(55 Posts)
moonstorm Sun 03-Feb-13 18:59:19

For months, I have been convinced I'd caught headlice (even though the dcs don't have them and there are absolutely no signs in my hair). My head is always itching, but there's never any flakiness (thinking not dandruff, then). It's finally occured to me that my shampoo/ comditioner might be irritating or drying out my skin and causing it to itch.

I had a look in the supermarket today for a better shampoo, but I don't know where to start. (I change my brands pretty regulalry depending what is on offer, so I have tried most of the brands out there).. Is there anything specifically for itchy scalps?

Help please!!

Padar Sat 05-Oct-13 16:38:39

Vichy dermo calm,

moonstorm Wed 06-Feb-13 18:52:32

Tell me about it! I have been known to get dh to give me the once over before the hairdressers just in case! Thing is with my hair, it's just the itch - no flakes/ evidence of dry skin.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Wed 06-Feb-13 18:50:01

I went to the hairdressers today, she didn't chuck me out so presuming its just my scalp - woohoo.
Seriously, how awful would that be?

moonstorm Wed 06-Feb-13 18:48:13

I've just seen all of these extra replies. Thank you so much for your help! I am going to go to Boots on Staurday and start with the cheapest option and go from there. Will definitely alternate shampoos until then and see how that goes.

Thanks!

survivingwinter Wed 06-Feb-13 10:19:49

I have the same problem but find alternating shampoo each day can help.

I like the Tres semme lower sulphates shampoo - I have a lower budget so can't afford to try some of the expensive stuff to compare but this has been fine!

puggirl Tue 05-Feb-13 21:43:36

Initially I used it all the time but now things have settled down I can use other brands too. However, I use it about once a week just in case and definitely when I get a flare up. Its great stuff and leaves your hair in good condition. Their k pak conditioner is not cheap but really good too.
Good luck smile

Pancakeflipper Tue 05-Feb-13 18:01:41

Think I am going to try that one PugGirl - so do you use another shampoo I between and that one just when itchy?

I am feeling a little scabby today as I used mousse on my hair yesterday.

Aveda Scalp Benefits is lovely to use - but it made my hair very greasy and ultimately didn't do much for my scalp. Smells gorgeous though!

Bowednotbroken Mon 04-Feb-13 20:07:16

Aveda scalp benefits here too - and the conditioner too

puggirl Mon 04-Feb-13 20:03:59

Joico daily treatment shampoo is wonderful stuff. It was recommended to me by a Trichologist years ago and I have used it on and off since. I always resort to it when itchy/scratchy flares up. It's easily found online, around £9/10 for a 300ml bottle.
Wet hair and lather up but leave on for a minute before rinsing, then repeat if necessary. It's very soothing.

Pinkflipflop Mon 04-Feb-13 19:37:33

Aveda scalp benefits sorted my dry, itchy scalp out within a few weeks. I'd had it for years.

teta Mon 04-Feb-13 19:19:09

Eucerin shampoo.Its the only thing that soothes my really itchy inflamed scalp.Doesn't leave hair feeling greasy either.

Pancakeflipper Mon 04-Feb-13 18:22:07

Philip Kingsley made me cry with disappointment. It made my scalp much worse and my hair was horrible.

TigerseyeMum Mon 04-Feb-13 18:19:34

I was disappointed with the Philip Kingsley one as it made my dry itchy flakey scalp much worse.

Best ones for me have been:

Holland and Barrett Dr Organic Aloe Vera shampoo and D Galvin Organic range. Never allow SLS or dimethicones near your hair.

I just bought Boots Itchy Flaky Scalp sensitive shampoo and used it last night, so far no itching or flakiness so fingers crossed.

snail1973 Mon 04-Feb-13 18:00:37

I have been using Philip Kingsley for about 8 yrs now and it is great. Not cheap, but I buy a 1 litre bottle sbout once a year for about £45 so its not too bad. Even when I was on mat leave and living on the strictest budget ever I had to keep buying it or my scalp was too awful.

valiumredhead Mon 04-Feb-13 15:41:15

Ginger Shampoo from The Body Shop

L'oreal Elvive anti dandruff - dark blue bottle with orange lid is the best shampoo in the world - FACT!

EuroShagmore Mon 04-Feb-13 15:21:09

Mine is really itchy but also flakey. My hairdresser recommended acupuncture and to my surprise it helps enormously. I had a break from it over Xmas and couldn't wear black for a while! The only shampoo my scalp seems to like is Oilatum Intensive. Combined with acu it means I can wear black with confidence again!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 04-Feb-13 15:07:58

Tigi superstar, I ran out recently and my eczema flared up all over my hands, on my face and down my back, will make sure I don't again as my scalp burns with others too.

Ambi Mon 04-Feb-13 14:35:05

I've used the head and shoulders itchy scalp one for a couple of years which was really good. But as its so strong it strips my colour quicker so I've moved to alberto balsom tea tree which is good and cheaper. Just bought Aldi's tea tree version to see if its any good. Its horrible isn't it?

fridgepants Mon 04-Feb-13 14:28:19

Happy Hair £2 in the clearance section of Boots atm.

Yes, ditch SLS. It's improved my scalp no end - though it isn't as easy or cheap to pick up as most shampoos/

whatithink Mon 04-Feb-13 12:54:48

Dead Sea Magik Mud shampoo & conditioner. Available at Holland & Barratt but I think lots of other places too.

Whitecat Mon 04-Feb-13 12:50:26

It is definitely worth ditching the sulphates/sulphites and my scalp is much better if I keep away from silicones too. I actually think they irritate my scalp more that the SLS's. It goes itchy and then almost scaley after I've accidently used something with them in.

Beware of Happy Hair Days - the shampoo is SLS free but the conditioners have silicones in them.

Beaverfeaver Mon 04-Feb-13 00:50:11

Sls is pretty much an industrial strength degreaser and is used for much harsher purposes usually such as engine degreaser.

Its in cheap soaps and shower gels and will make your whole body itchy and dry with regular use.

It could also cause skin condition flare ups

Beaverfeaver Mon 04-Feb-13 00:47:04

Agree with using more natural products (without sulphites / sls etc)

It's the sls that strips your scalp of all natural goodness

The head and shoulders itchy scalp one works for me, it really calms my angry scalp and isn't horribly expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now