Shampoo/ conditioner for itchy, sensitive scalp?

(55 Posts)
moonstorm Sun 03-Feb-13 18:59:19

For months, I have been convinced I'd caught headlice (even though the dcs don't have them and there are absolutely no signs in my hair). My head is always itching, but there's never any flakiness (thinking not dandruff, then). It's finally occured to me that my shampoo/ comditioner might be irritating or drying out my skin and causing it to itch.

I had a look in the supermarket today for a better shampoo, but I don't know where to start. (I change my brands pretty regulalry depending what is on offer, so I have tried most of the brands out there).. Is there anything specifically for itchy scalps?

Help please!!

Roseformeplease England Sun 03-Feb-13 19:04:41

Try ginger shampoo from The Body Shop.

DebK2012 Sun 03-Feb-13 19:06:46

Loreal elvive blue with pink writing

McNally Sun 03-Feb-13 19:13:38

That sounds similar to me. I've been using Philip Kingsley itchy flaking scalp shampoo for a while now and it has helped a lot. A friend recommended one by Green People (think you can get it at health food shops) which I'll try next as it is cheaper.

WowOoo Colombia Sun 03-Feb-13 19:22:19

T-gel Neutrogena. It's expensive ish at £8, but works a treat and leaves my hair shiny and smelly. Think it has coal tar in it.

It's dark brown and you need just a small amount. I've used it for years and haven't found anything better too stop itching or dandruff.

For me, I get it every now and again. Dry skin, itchy scalp, dandruff. Then a couple of days with T gel and it's gone. So it lasts too.

WowOoo Colombia Sun 03-Feb-13 19:23:06

anything better to stop itching. Ooops.

Glossynotflossy Sun 03-Feb-13 20:24:04

Op have you thought of going to the docs. I have a itchy scalp sometimes which i have a steroids treatment for. Worth thinking about

T-gel!

moonstorm Sun 03-Feb-13 20:25:32

Great! Lots of choice. Thanks! I must have looked over some of these not knowing they were there. I'm sitting here scratching - it's really infuriating. I get quite dry skin on my body, but I can't moisturise my scalp!

moonstorm Sun 03-Feb-13 20:26:35

Glossynotflossy no, I hadn't thought about going to the dr... I might try the shampoos and if nothing helps, then visit..

katolla Sun 03-Feb-13 20:27:39

T gel as well. Though I don't seem to need it during pregnancy, any old crap will do at the moment!

BonzoDooDah Sun 03-Feb-13 20:40:40

OOoh I could have written your post - ditto no nits on kids (were last year) and none on me but itching like I have. Deffo going to try t-gel. Thanks all.

OhWouldYouJust Sun 03-Feb-13 20:59:51

I suffer with the exact same problem and I find Matrix Biolage Anti dandruff shampoo and conditioner the best, we use it in our college salon and find it wonderful, no itching and minimal dandruff smile

JethroTull Sun 03-Feb-13 21:02:30

Liz Earle works for me or if the itching is really bad I use Sunsil which you get in the chemist.

Philip kingsley - it's so good that i haven't defected for years. DH now uses it too. Withoutmit, my head itches all the time. Not tempted to ever use anything else.

moonstorm Sun 03-Feb-13 21:14:51

I am soo glad it's not just me grin. Thank you for all these suggestions!

WeAreSix Sun 03-Feb-13 21:16:18

I was told to use a shampoo without sulphites. I've been using Naked from Boots and the condition of my hair and scalp has improved loads. It's a bit expensive but well worth it.

Parrish Sun 03-Feb-13 21:17:57

T gel. Works a treat

moonstorm Sun 03-Feb-13 21:18:12

I've tried the L'Oreal sulphite free shampoo, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference. I wonder if I need something extra for now?

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Sun 03-Feb-13 21:21:52

Boots Baby Sensitive Conditioning Shampoo is very good too, if you don't mind using a baby shampoo!

Jammygal Sun 03-Feb-13 21:24:11

Tgel does work but shouldn't be used long term.

I also switched to liz earle shampoo and the itching /flaking completely stopped ;)

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 03-Feb-13 21:37:53

I do have flakes, but still think it is due to a senstive scalp.

I too was a T Gel fan (using every 2/3 days) but I didn't like the strong smell. Then I went to a new hairdresser and they used Phyto (the maintance one) and it works yet is mild enough for everyday use. And it doesn't smell like an anti-dandruff shampoo.

It is pricey but worth it in my opinion.

T-gel is gorgeous (LOVE the smell of it) but makes my hair really dry. I alternate it with cradle cap shampoo and keep any conditioner just to the ends, not touching my scalp.

mum47 Sun 03-Feb-13 21:43:51

Moonstorm, I had exactly the same problem, felt itchy and kept running a nit comb through my hair but no sign of anything. Was also using the L'Oreal sulphinte free shampoo but made no difference, in fact wondered if it was the cause. Itching has disappeared for no apparant reason, so hopefully will be the end of it - sorry not v helpful, but I do sympathise it is not pleasant. Have you had your hair coloured recently? I did mine a couple of weeks before itching started, wondered if that was the cause.

treaclesoda Sun 03-Feb-13 22:08:51

I used to like Te Tao tea tree shampoo, found it very soothing for itchy scalp, but I don't think they sell it in Boots any more and it might be hard to get hold of. Worth a try if you can get some though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now