I have got bright red lipstick on. Whu do I feel (and probably look) like a complete dickhead?

(116 Posts)
GetOrf Sat 26-Jan-13 13:28:47

I never normally wear lipstick (gloss or balm) but in a moment of madness bought a bright red lipstick and put in on.

I keep catching sight of myself in the window and think I look very strange.

My daughter is going to laugh at me, I know.

JohnSnowsTie Wed 30-Jan-13 20:26:39

So I'm olive toned. I have Russian Red and I don't love it... should I try Ruby Woo or will it look much the same?

DH thinks I look better in deeper tones. I bought MAC Dark Side but find it a bit too dark. Can anyone suggest something inbetween please?

I have £50 of MAC voucher loveliness to spend grin

coffeeinbed Wed 30-Jan-13 18:13:35

I bought Dior Bellisima - had some Boots points.
It's lovely, deep fuchsia.

notMarlene Wed 30-Jan-13 16:38:57

grin Lovely stuff hey!

MoodyDidIt Wed 30-Jan-13 16:13:03

well i bought some ruby woo and OMG its amazing

i actually can't stop looking in the mirror

it makes my lips look a lovely shape and still look full (have full-ish lips but thought it would make them look smaller) and it makes my teeth look whiter!! the lady at the counter was really lovely and helpful

was 14 quid, tbh i would have paid double! am going out tonight for a mates birthday and i can't wait to wear it out!

notMarlene Wed 30-Jan-13 12:09:23

Thank you both for the advice, I shall give it a cracK!

StinkyWicket Tue 29-Jan-13 23:17:44

Sorry, I posted too soon!

I have never had a significant problem with oxidising make up, apart from a Collection 2000 one I bought off the market about 17 years ago hmm. I haven't seen a 'tide mark' foundation face since high school.

Really I think if you don't try, you'll never know. At the very most, you have foundation on your face in the wrong colour for a couple of hours while you test it out.

StinkyWicket Tue 29-Jan-13 23:15:13

IMO, you are unlikely to turn orange unless 1) you have the wrong colour; 2) you have a very very cheap foundation.

If you want to try foundation, the best place to go is a dept store like Debenhams where you can get samples of the foundations you like the look of.

redbobblehat Tue 29-Jan-13 23:06:28

dh says i look like a clown with red lips

i agree i havent found the right shade

dont have so much money i can afford to buy loads though

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 22:54:04

And why has GetOrf deserted us? <sob>

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 22:53:39

HOW does that happen? Dones anyone know?

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 22:52:56

Urgh, yes orange. Apparently some foundations go on matching then oxidize to orange throughout the day. Terrifyign.

ComeAlongPond Tue 29-Jan-13 22:44:22

I have similar - very dry skin with uneven redness. My skin is otherwise fine - I long for perfect even skin but I've never tried foundation because I'm afraid of turning orange blush

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 22:38:06

Oooh, powder alone you say. I Had No Idea that was possible. Interesting. DM never wore foundation, my grandma did and shes my only real reference.

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 22:36:03

Oh dear. The DC are all over my face all the time.

My skin is dry so I flake rather than shine, if anything. The sweating is not a little ladylike dampness.

StinkyWicket Tue 29-Jan-13 22:30:33

I have a greasy nose rather than a sweaty one, and I touch up a couple of times during the day. I don't like shine. I either use Kleenex blotting powders or latterly Dr Feelgood by Benefit to blot then sometimes powder over. Have a cold right now so very big red nose!

Some foundations will transfer, some won't. I don't generally have a problem unless I am touching my face all the time - like now when I blow my nose!

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 22:22:59

Ah, see, I'm such a numpty that I thought you had to have concealer under eyes with foundation. This os good news!

I think I'll have a look at prices on line and maybe let one of them have a crack. It'd be nice not to be red when I'm flustered (but I'ts less obvious with red lippy anyway confused), do they stand up to nose sweats? Does it transfer?

StinkyWicket Tue 29-Jan-13 22:10:36

I wouldn't wear foundation if I had nice skin, but I don't. I have very uneven textured skin, few blemishes but lots of red patches.

If you really want to try face make up I'd just use a dust of powder tbh.

coffeeinbed Tue 29-Jan-13 22:09:27

Well, need as opposed to just fancy is quite relative in cosmetic terms, I agree.
My skin sounds just like yours, with all the bad bits you've listed, I'm older though.
I've given up trying to cover the dark circles, It's a losing battle anyway so just cover the redness and that's that.

StinkyWicket Tue 29-Jan-13 22:09:06

Ooh I love red lipstick!

I have about 6 Mac reds (not Ruby Woo though - preferred Russian Red) and love them all. I prefer a dense, matte lip as I have small but not especially thin lips.

I like Illamasqua in Drench which is very BRIGHT but beautiful. I also love Mac Ramblas Red. Why I am telling you this I don't know grin

notMarlene - I have Mac F&B foundation and love it - I think they always match you too dark in the shop, I have N3 and although in the bottle it is a hair too dark, on it looks lovely and is just warm enough to brighten my face.

I bloody love make up shopping blush

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 21:58:44

I tan at the first sunbeam too. Yes. I'm sorry to be dim but what constitutes needing (as opposed to fancying) foundation, in reality? I'm 34 so obviously aging a bit, as humans tend to.

2 shades doen't sound as bad as I'd feared.

I have dark circles but always have - is genetic I think. My father had thwm from a child too. Nothing dramtic and the only times I've been plastered (by friends with collection2000 and the like) before I've looked odd with total concealment of them. Could have been the shock of the new but the plasterers have agreed with me. I get 'blushed' when I;m flustered / hot / hurried which I don't like. But then I get a sweaty nose sometimes too which would surely destroy any product (?). Texture wise skin is alright I've not had spots, it certainly isn't purfect but OK (I thinK). I am also slightly fuzzy, like a peach.

All that and red lippy. Fuck I'm hot.

coffeeinbed Tue 29-Jan-13 21:34:19

But do you need a foundation?
If you have good skin you don't need all that.
I have been wearing Healthy mix serum foundation mixed with Strobe Cream for years and it's fine.
I do need to change in the simmer months though, which I where the tinted moisturiser came in. Foundation just sits wrong on tanned skin and I get tanned as soon as the sun hits me.

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 21:31:36

colour match in an opaque, sorry

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 21:26:35

From what I gather manhunt is just a sheer red, yup. YOu should be able to match the colour in a sheer lipstick if you waned to.

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 21:25:32

See, my cosmetics are my only extravagance. BUT I keep it to mac and under in terms of price and even then its pushing what I can actually afford to miss cash wise. I can't be doing with shit make up that messes me about and IME it;s as expensive as mac level in the end anyway. The mabaline 24 hour is 15 euros here, RW 17 or 18 euros - wearing tje mabaline evry day was a tube a month to 6 weeks + plus extra balm and RW is lasting way longer.

If she were to apply foundation / concealer / powder / primer / all that jazz and I wanted to go with it I'd have to go mac just because of the absmyl lack of cosmetics counters here and the cost (monitsary and looking bad) of fucking about trying 101 other brands until I found one that was 'cheaper' and OK. Argh.

Mewsical Tue 29-Jan-13 21:22:36

No Marlene don't think so, but I used to get one shade darker for summer foundation.
I never knew that Manhunt was a red!
I have been wearing it, but still constantly trying out others (esp Mac) thinking that I need a proper grown up red when I have one that suits me already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now