I have got bright red lipstick on. Whu do I feel (and probably look) like a complete dickhead?

(116 Posts)
GetOrf Sat 26-Jan-13 13:28:47

I never normally wear lipstick (gloss or balm) but in a moment of madness bought a bright red lipstick and put in on.

I keep catching sight of myself in the window and think I look very strange.

My daughter is going to laugh at me, I know.

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 22:22:59

Ah, see, I'm such a numpty that I thought you had to have concealer under eyes with foundation. This os good news!

I think I'll have a look at prices on line and maybe let one of them have a crack. It'd be nice not to be red when I'm flustered (but I'ts less obvious with red lippy anyway confused), do they stand up to nose sweats? Does it transfer?

StinkyWicket Tue 29-Jan-13 22:30:33

I have a greasy nose rather than a sweaty one, and I touch up a couple of times during the day. I don't like shine. I either use Kleenex blotting powders or latterly Dr Feelgood by Benefit to blot then sometimes powder over. Have a cold right now so very big red nose!

Some foundations will transfer, some won't. I don't generally have a problem unless I am touching my face all the time - like now when I blow my nose!

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 22:36:03

Oh dear. The DC are all over my face all the time.

My skin is dry so I flake rather than shine, if anything. The sweating is not a little ladylike dampness.

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 22:38:06

Oooh, powder alone you say. I Had No Idea that was possible. Interesting. DM never wore foundation, my grandma did and shes my only real reference.

ComeAlongPond Tue 29-Jan-13 22:44:22

I have similar - very dry skin with uneven redness. My skin is otherwise fine - I long for perfect even skin but I've never tried foundation because I'm afraid of turning orange blush

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 22:52:56

Urgh, yes orange. Apparently some foundations go on matching then oxidize to orange throughout the day. Terrifyign.

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 22:53:39

HOW does that happen? Dones anyone know?

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 22:54:04

And why has GetOrf deserted us? <sob>

redbobblehat Tue 29-Jan-13 23:06:28

dh says i look like a clown with red lips

i agree i havent found the right shade

dont have so much money i can afford to buy loads though

StinkyWicket Tue 29-Jan-13 23:15:13

IMO, you are unlikely to turn orange unless 1) you have the wrong colour; 2) you have a very very cheap foundation.

If you want to try foundation, the best place to go is a dept store like Debenhams where you can get samples of the foundations you like the look of.

StinkyWicket Tue 29-Jan-13 23:17:44

Sorry, I posted too soon!

I have never had a significant problem with oxidising make up, apart from a Collection 2000 one I bought off the market about 17 years ago hmm. I haven't seen a 'tide mark' foundation face since high school.

Really I think if you don't try, you'll never know. At the very most, you have foundation on your face in the wrong colour for a couple of hours while you test it out.

notMarlene Wed 30-Jan-13 12:09:23

Thank you both for the advice, I shall give it a cracK!

MoodyDidIt Wed 30-Jan-13 16:13:03

well i bought some ruby woo and OMG its amazing

i actually can't stop looking in the mirror

it makes my lips look a lovely shape and still look full (have full-ish lips but thought it would make them look smaller) and it makes my teeth look whiter!! the lady at the counter was really lovely and helpful

was 14 quid, tbh i would have paid double! am going out tonight for a mates birthday and i can't wait to wear it out!

notMarlene Wed 30-Jan-13 16:38:57

grin Lovely stuff hey!

coffeeinbed Wed 30-Jan-13 18:13:35

I bought Dior Bellisima - had some Boots points.
It's lovely, deep fuchsia.

JohnSnowsTie Wed 30-Jan-13 20:26:39

So I'm olive toned. I have Russian Red and I don't love it... should I try Ruby Woo or will it look much the same?

DH thinks I look better in deeper tones. I bought MAC Dark Side but find it a bit too dark. Can anyone suggest something inbetween please?

I have £50 of MAC voucher loveliness to spend grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now