I have got bright red lipstick on. Whu do I feel (and probably look) like a complete dickhead?

(116 Posts)
GetOrf Sat 26-Jan-13 13:28:47

I never normally wear lipstick (gloss or balm) but in a moment of madness bought a bright red lipstick and put in on.

I keep catching sight of myself in the window and think I look very strange.

My daughter is going to laugh at me, I know.

coffeeinbed Tue 29-Jan-13 20:56:34

Gin try what Lisa Eldridge did in her last video - red underneath, nude on top.
to ease you in...

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 20:57:00

My BF wears Cherry Pie and I've got the red Passion, the suff has some hardcore staying power. TBH if you think it suits you it probably does. If in doubt I bet we'd all love to see a photo...

But yeah, the whole cool / warm skintone ting baffles me a bit really. I mean, on a lot of people it is clear just by by looking at 'em. You're supposed to look at the veins in your wrist - if they look blue you're cool, if green the warm (or maybe the other way about). I still hav e no idea which I am - the veins in my wrist show green and blue, some of each.

coffeeinbed Tue 29-Jan-13 20:59:34

I think I'll try Maybelline Red Passion.
I got the Non Stop REd.

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 20:59:57

It is dense and dryish but I like that. Hate the feeling of slimy lipstick lips.

I want to ask the mac lass what sort of cool warm freaky complexion I have but I've THE FEAR of foundation. Waddja reckon? Dare I or will she take it as a cue to plaster me?

coffeeinbed Tue 29-Jan-13 21:02:25

Of course she will.
Nothing to stop you to take it all off.
I switched to tinted moisturiser, but the one I got has more coverage than foundation. confused

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 21:05:43

Is that one of the longlasting stuff ones coffee? - the one Pond and I have applies wet (like lipgloss) and then dries to feel much drier than Ruby does on. If you find that feels too dry on I wouldn't bother. Very glossy with the balm over it, nicely matte but derert like once it's properly worn off.

Hhe colour is ridiculously hard wearing (except if you eat fatty food) - red passion looks like RW but a shade cheaper/lighter IYSWIM.

However, it was my first and I do love it.

ComeAlongPond Tue 29-Jan-13 21:06:26

I think I have blue veins. It's hard to tell.

What tinted moisturiser do you use coffee?

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 21:07:02

Hello. Yes. She will won't she. Hmm.

ComeAlongPond Tue 29-Jan-13 21:08:34

I liked the idea of the longlasting stuff because I mainly wear it to go out and if it rubs off with food and drink it's a pain. In the shop they told me I could put normal lipbalm on over it too when I'm out - so once the balm it comes with rubs off, I can just pop some vaseline or lipbalm or something on to remoisturise. Much less hassle than reapplying lipstick.

Mewsical Tue 29-Jan-13 21:13:00

I'm confused having been made up in different Mac shops with NC and NW.
I do believe that there is .5 which is halfway inbetween warm and cool which I think could be worth a try.

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 21:13:39

Absoluely. It survives the wildest of wild nights out. DO NOT put any other lip balm (I've ever tried) on over it, it just dissolves it. you can buy the balm seperateyl - I found I needed a bit more than one tube of balm per 'red end' IYSWIM. I preferred the look of it dry so you'll probably get through more.

She may have told you you can't top up the colour once it's one - strictly speaking that IS true but I manged to get the knack (is handy after a kabab). A very thin coat wear you've kababed it off is fine and won't flake.

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 21:15:26

Wwre you made up at differnt times of year Mew? One of the reasons I fear foundation is because one would surely need 2 or more differnt shade of the course of the year (even wiht good use of sunscreen).

coffeeinbed Tue 29-Jan-13 21:16:52

Mine is the 14 Hours lipstick. It is dry-ish but I usually just dab it on with a finger as a stain, so not too bothered.
Moisturiser - I'm actually blush it cost a bloody fortune, It will last at least six months, I'm careful that way, and it feels great on skin and it covers...well, I'm making excuses for buying it. It's Chantecaille Just Skin. Bugger them and their prices.

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 21:17:21

Oh, and do let the mabaline stuff dry for as long as you can bear before you balm it - it seems to make it even more hardwearing.

NaicePig Tue 29-Jan-13 21:19:28

I luffs a good red lippy chat grin

Annuver one here who finds Ruby too drying <cries> I keep persisting but just feel so self-conscious when it's on. Doesn't help that my friend once told me I had smudged it on my chin - more to worry about... Just find that when I'm wearing it I can't enjoy myself. Well, not if eating/drinking is concerned.

ComeAlongPond Tue 29-Jan-13 21:22:23

Ah thanks for the tip notMarlene! I imagine that in Boots they aren't specifically trained or anything and they must have so much to keep track of it's not surprising if they get it wrong sometimes, but I'm glad I found out!

Maybe try the maybelline stuff in that case naicepig? It doesn't smudge or smear at all...

Mewsical Tue 29-Jan-13 21:22:36

No Marlene don't think so, but I used to get one shade darker for summer foundation.
I never knew that Manhunt was a red!
I have been wearing it, but still constantly trying out others (esp Mac) thinking that I need a proper grown up red when I have one that suits me already.

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 21:25:32

See, my cosmetics are my only extravagance. BUT I keep it to mac and under in terms of price and even then its pushing what I can actually afford to miss cash wise. I can't be doing with shit make up that messes me about and IME it;s as expensive as mac level in the end anyway. The mabaline 24 hour is 15 euros here, RW 17 or 18 euros - wearing tje mabaline evry day was a tube a month to 6 weeks + plus extra balm and RW is lasting way longer.

If she were to apply foundation / concealer / powder / primer / all that jazz and I wanted to go with it I'd have to go mac just because of the absmyl lack of cosmetics counters here and the cost (monitsary and looking bad) of fucking about trying 101 other brands until I found one that was 'cheaper' and OK. Argh.

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 21:26:35

From what I gather manhunt is just a sheer red, yup. YOu should be able to match the colour in a sheer lipstick if you waned to.

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 21:31:36

colour match in an opaque, sorry

coffeeinbed Tue 29-Jan-13 21:34:19

But do you need a foundation?
If you have good skin you don't need all that.
I have been wearing Healthy mix serum foundation mixed with Strobe Cream for years and it's fine.
I do need to change in the simmer months though, which I where the tinted moisturiser came in. Foundation just sits wrong on tanned skin and I get tanned as soon as the sun hits me.

notMarlene Tue 29-Jan-13 21:58:44

I tan at the first sunbeam too. Yes. I'm sorry to be dim but what constitutes needing (as opposed to fancying) foundation, in reality? I'm 34 so obviously aging a bit, as humans tend to.

2 shades doen't sound as bad as I'd feared.

I have dark circles but always have - is genetic I think. My father had thwm from a child too. Nothing dramtic and the only times I've been plastered (by friends with collection2000 and the like) before I've looked odd with total concealment of them. Could have been the shock of the new but the plasterers have agreed with me. I get 'blushed' when I;m flustered / hot / hurried which I don't like. But then I get a sweaty nose sometimes too which would surely destroy any product (?). Texture wise skin is alright I've not had spots, it certainly isn't purfect but OK (I thinK). I am also slightly fuzzy, like a peach.

All that and red lippy. Fuck I'm hot.

StinkyWicket Tue 29-Jan-13 22:09:06

Ooh I love red lipstick!

I have about 6 Mac reds (not Ruby Woo though - preferred Russian Red) and love them all. I prefer a dense, matte lip as I have small but not especially thin lips.

I like Illamasqua in Drench which is very BRIGHT but beautiful. I also love Mac Ramblas Red. Why I am telling you this I don't know grin

notMarlene - I have Mac F&B foundation and love it - I think they always match you too dark in the shop, I have N3 and although in the bottle it is a hair too dark, on it looks lovely and is just warm enough to brighten my face.

I bloody love make up shopping blush

coffeeinbed Tue 29-Jan-13 22:09:27

Well, need as opposed to just fancy is quite relative in cosmetic terms, I agree.
My skin sounds just like yours, with all the bad bits you've listed, I'm older though.
I've given up trying to cover the dark circles, It's a losing battle anyway so just cover the redness and that's that.

StinkyWicket Tue 29-Jan-13 22:10:36

I wouldn't wear foundation if I had nice skin, but I don't. I have very uneven textured skin, few blemishes but lots of red patches.

If you really want to try face make up I'd just use a dust of powder tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now