I have got bright red lipstick on. Whu do I feel (and probably look) like a complete dickhead?

(116 Posts)
GetOrf Sat 26-Jan-13 13:28:47

I never normally wear lipstick (gloss or balm) but in a moment of madness bought a bright red lipstick and put in on.

I keep catching sight of myself in the window and think I look very strange.

My daughter is going to laugh at me, I know.

andadietcoke Sat 26-Jan-13 13:35:13

I'm exactly the same. I get compliments, but I just feel like a clown and like I'm wearing my mum's lipstick.

Charliefox Sat 26-Jan-13 13:38:53

Likewise. Never wear gloss or lipstick and feel like a right twonk when I do. So I never do!

I wore red lipstick through the 80's and to the mid 90's - it just looked awful as I don't have lovely thick pouty lips which look lovely with a red stain

So if you're lips are thin like mine it just looks like a harsh slash.

NoelHeadbands Sat 26-Jan-13 13:42:01

Yy I look a proper knob in red lipstick. I look like I've put it on wonky, but I haven't. It's just my lis confused

NoelHeadbands Sat 26-Jan-13 13:42:12

Lips ffs

GetOrf Sat 26-Jan-13 13:45:00

I look like Unity Mitford. Not good.

I do feel like a fraud in a grown up's make up. Which is daft as I wear make up all the time, just not lippy.

Foggles Sat 26-Jan-13 13:45:06

I look like The Joker out of Batman if I wear bright red lipstick.

tuttavia Sat 26-Jan-13 13:48:19

See, I think red lipstick looks great on pretty much everyone, although I get self-conscious about it too.

I really do think it's one of those things that suits most people, but those wearing it might not feel it, iyswim. (Just don't overdo the eyes at the same time.)

DonaAna Sat 26-Jan-13 13:52:30

If you are naturally muted or have very olive-toned/tan skin ("soft season" in color analysis), red lipstick will probably look awful on you. Think SJP, Jennifer Aniston, VB...

I've seen pics of Taylor Swift wearing red lipstick and I don't think it works all that well on her either. She has nuanced muted natural coloring and red lips just somehow look fake and OTT on her.

Pure red works best against relatively pale skin to create strong contrast. Snow White, Grace Kelly, Dita von Teese. Red lipstick makes a strong statement - it's not easy to wear.

notMarlene Sat 26-Jan-13 13:52:37

It's probably just too glossy a more matte colour rarely looks OTT. Try blotting it?

Back2Two Sat 26-Jan-13 13:52:55

My friend is a red lipstick aficionado. Apparently, you have to have the right red for your colouring. There is "blue red" and orange red and all sorts.

But, like with anything, if you feel comfortable you'll look loads better. Grin and stick with it.

Not manic grin though. Then you would look weird. wink

notMarlene Sat 26-Jan-13 13:54:35

What lipstick is it? Could it be a warm red against a cool skin tone / cool red against warm skin tone thing?

notMarlene Sat 26-Jan-13 13:55:19

x posts

there are reds that are more or less universally flattering.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 26-Jan-13 13:57:27

Kourtney kardashian does red lips really well. I suspect lip liner is involved.

Dh said I looked about 70 when I tried it. Git.

He asked me where I'd be keeping my headscarves.

41notTrendy Sat 26-Jan-13 13:57:27

I think Lisa Eldridge has a section all about red lipsticks and how to wear them. There are quite a few shades that suit everyone.

specialsubject Sat 26-Jan-13 13:59:22

everyone who wears bright red lipstick looks silly. Have you only just noticed?

Foggles Sat 26-Jan-13 14:03:45

Did you look like this Fluffy?

grin

piprabbit Sat 26-Jan-13 14:05:14

I think bright red lipstick is very artificial looking, which can look fantastic but needs to be matched by a level of grooming and artifice which I am unable to achieve. So there's a mismatch between glamorous lips and the less-than-glamorous rest of me which looks plain odd.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 26-Jan-13 14:21:03

In Dh's eyes yes!

GetOrf Sat 26-Jan-13 14:22:40

It is a bluey red semi matt thing. I am very pale. I thought I would look like Miranda Kerr. What a fool I am.

Can't even wipe it off as it is some ultra staying power stuff. And I don't have a tissue anyway.

Never mind grin

MadAboutHotChoc Sat 26-Jan-13 15:16:48

I am a winter in terms of colouring and I look fab wearing red lipstick - you may have the wrong colouring or the wrong lipstick.

Pandsbear Sat 26-Jan-13 15:17:12

I think that it takes a few days of wearing a proper red to get used to what you look like. If the colour is right on you and it is just the fact that you feel a bit strange you should persevere. (Does require touching up as you go along I find whereas a less obvious colour I just lip balm over if I am out.)

notMarlene Sat 26-Jan-13 15:19:37

Yeah, it could well be a case of it looking just grand but you not being used to it. Persevere! Or just post a photo wink

DrGarnettsWinterMixture Sat 26-Jan-13 18:11:33

notMarlene-what are the reds that suit most people, please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now