Where actually sells good quality clothes that last these days?

(34 Posts)
AnnaLou82 Wed 23-Jan-13 12:46:29

Everything I have brought recently has been crap, including some pretty expensive stuff.

Where do you go for good quality that lasts?

Missbopeep Sat 26-Jan-13 15:15:47

I think you have to look after clothes to make them last TBH. I occcasionally hand wash things or use that setting on my machine.

How are you washing them?

Coats etc you really get what you pay for- a high wool content- 80% min. is worth the money.

My clothes rarely ever wear out- I end up flogging on Ebay.

I buy Boden, Uniqlo, JIgsaw, White Company, and tiny bit at John Lewis.

My biggest disappointment is with White Stuff- jumpers have bobbled quickly.

homeaway Sat 26-Jan-13 15:10:43

I have just ordered a dress for ds school graduation from me and em in the sale, so thank you for the recomendation!

Hungry , uniqlo tops are quite long in the body it might be worth trying them on if you can get to a shop ?

teta Sat 26-Jan-13 11:42:56

Matalan [i know its totally not S&B but!] do brilliant extra long vests and crew necked t shirts that wash and last really well [look in the basics section online].They also have pretty good silk shirts in the Et Vous brand and Modal scoop necked t shirts in the 'newly added' index.

hungryallthetime Sat 26-Jan-13 11:34:20

Great thread -I'm sick of looking in shops where everything is acrylic! Unfortunately I have cashmere tastes and acrylic money! Just ordered a few things from Uniqlo, easy knit leggings so hope they're ok, but desperately need a few long lengths tops as I'm tall and skinny. Had a look at Baukjen and me & em as recommended but still too expensive in the sales sad. Anybody know of any cheaper secret online stores that may have escaped my notice?

EmpressMaud Fri 25-Jan-13 15:10:54

Rubbish: Reiss, Joules

EmpressMaud Fri 25-Jan-13 15:08:58

Brora, Seasalt, Rachel Riley, Avoca, Toast.

NickECave Fri 25-Jan-13 14:38:51

I got a pair of Aldo platform boots second hand about 4 years ago. They are amazing quality and appear completely indestructible. The few Whistles things that I've bought in sales have worn well as have Monsoon skirts and tops although not trousers.

orangeandlemons Wed 23-Jan-13 21:06:56

Jumpherwho, I think it's dreadful that you are expected to cold wash pj's. Sheets are meant to be washed high to get rid of all the germs and bacteria so am sure pj's should be the same.

In fact I would say they are unfit for purpose!

RedwingWinter Wed 23-Jan-13 19:36:26

Brora, Toast, Splendid and Notify.

Corygal Wed 23-Jan-13 19:20:17

My high-street hotties...

Cheap and lasts =
Uniqlo & Gap
Primark tights, thermals and controlwear (all indestructible)
M&S cashmere only
HM designer ranges eg Marni & Margiela are blindingly good.

Lasts = Cos, Jaeger, Aquascutum, ash shoes, emu boots (better than uggs), falke tights, All Saints.

I have always found Whistles and Jigsaw woeful, funnily enough, as are many designer makes - just returned an Anglomania dress with a bladdy great hole.

JumpHerWho Wed 23-Jan-13 19:18:07

My Hush pyjamas shrunk too, luckily I bought them post-pregnancy when I was the size of a bus so they fit now. They say to cold wash them to be fair, I just didn't bother looking at the label and bunged them in at 40.

I'd still buy them, they're beautiful quality <eyes final reductions>

novelsituation Wed 23-Jan-13 18:59:04

I'm happy with most of the things I've bought in Jigsaw and Whistles.

Yep, another here with a bobbly white co jersey dress.

nipersvest Wed 23-Jan-13 18:32:58

lands end is good quality, women's stuff can be a little dated design wise, kids stuff is nice.

mirpuppet Wed 23-Jan-13 18:29:31

White Company jersey dress purchased last Feb bobbled and does not look very nice after circa 10 wears.

I look at fabric contents so two 100% cotton dresses purchased at Dorothy Perkins at the same time look great -- granted I wash at 30 degrees and line dry. Did same for Whit Company dress and it looks horrible.

bluecarrot Wed 23-Jan-13 18:13:08

Braintree clothing is good. I have two dresses by them which are worn and washed twice a week for the last 14 months and they stilllook good and feel great ( bamboo content makes them lovely and soft) their scarves are great too.

White stuff stuff that isn't knitwear is great too.

I keep forgetting about sea salt. I meant to look up their sale!

Agree with Gap, BR, Uniqlo. Would also add Massimo Dutti. M & S shoes are good quality.

Hopefully Wed 23-Jan-13 17:51:13

It's all been said, but my votes go to Baukjen, Toast, Brora H&M vests (and NOTHING else), Me&Em. If you go to somewhere like Bicester, Burberry and DVF are both excellent quality.

Jjcrackers Wed 23-Jan-13 15:48:24

One of my friends is a stylist and she says White Company are some of the best quality clothes that she styles with. Apparently they are obsessive about quality.

Wearing some Baukjen (hate the name) trackie bottoms now and they are gorgeous.

Second GAP here. On the rare occassion I find something I like, it always wears well.

TheWombat Wed 23-Jan-13 15:21:08

Yes to Baukjen, Celtic Sheepskin and Me and Em - all wear well but expensive so I wait for the sales.

I also rate Boden for knitwear blush - I wear their cashmere cardigans for work and they wear well too - although I know some people have problems with pilling.

I had a pair of Hush pjs that shrank in the wash - have been put off them now sad

God, I hate that. Like Matches who won't let you return items bought in store. I know they don't have to, but it's a nice gesture, isn't it?

champagnesupernova Wed 23-Jan-13 15:00:40

Brora wristwarmers are AMAZING

justasecond Wed 23-Jan-13 14:55:19

I used to shop a lot in Reiss about 10 years ago and it was great then. Well made clothes in natural fibres. What happened to them?

I totally agree re Reiss. Overpriced rubbish.

What really pisses me off is that they only offer a credit note on returns, even with a receipt. Why they think they are beyond the standard returns policy that most shops adopt is beyond me.

Agree that Zara quality is awful, but I do love it in there, so I forget that everything Zara has fallen apart & keep going back like a moronic goldfish.

I find a lack of consistency with quality on the High Street - sometimes if you buy 2 of the same garment, and read the label, they've been made in different countries, and there are times I've even noticed the fabric is different. Hence, I tend to buy cheapie basics (eg. H&M vests, as mentioned by AmberNectarine) and when they 'die' I'm not upset by replacing them....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now