SHITE people say on fashion blogs

(171 Posts)
MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 19:53:01

"The kind people at...."
(Ie boden gave me a free bag to pimp a hotchpotch shirt"

"Pop of _fucking colour". No one says this in real life. Fück off.

"This looks cute" no. Kittens are cute. You are a woman who wears scarves. Desist.

noddyholder Tue 15-Jan-13 14:42:43

They always say 'pop of colour' on QVC and the clothes are dire!

PretzelTime Tue 15-Jan-13 15:45:34

'ping of colour' - Haha, that's even better!
<waits for an explanation to why leopard is neutral (unlike tiger and zebra?)>

bettybleep Tue 15-Jan-13 15:46:45

I know..always good for a laugh if youre bored though...but who's buying all that overpriced weird poly tat? The presenters deserve an Oscar sometimes, but I was lucky enough to catch one who 'corpsed' completely at the first glimpse of the model, who preened and smiled brightly until her colleague had recovered.. What a pro!

PlumSykes Tue 15-Jan-13 15:50:08

Pretzel, it's because you can wear it with any other colour without it clashing (same reason black, white, camel are all considered neutral). Snakeskin works in the same way. Tiger and zebra would be the same, though we rarely see them used in fashion.

PlumSykes Tue 15-Jan-13 15:50:42

I have never seen QVC.

noddyholder Tue 15-Jan-13 15:52:30

You are missing a treat grin

bettybleep Tue 15-Jan-13 16:00:46

Zebra is monochrome surely?

PlumSykes Tue 15-Jan-13 16:04:44

So is black. Or white.

bettybleep Tue 15-Jan-13 16:43:58

I just wanted to include monochrome.. Sorry, suffering fashion blog shite hysteria now

LifeofPo Tue 15-Jan-13 16:51:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PretzelTime Tue 15-Jan-13 21:01:00

"Closet orphan" - the overly dramatic phrase for a piece of clothing you simply don't wear very often.

LifeofPo Tue 15-Jan-13 21:27:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lalalonglegs Tue 15-Jan-13 21:37:34

I worked very briefly on a fashion magazine where part of my job (seemed to) involved inserting the phrases "band-on trend" "fashion forward" and "it's all about the INSERT ACCESSORY/ITEM OF CLOTHING/PARTICULAR DETAIL OF ONE ITEM OF CLOTHING EG TURNED-UP CUFF" in every picture caption. Happy times grin.

fridgepants Tue 15-Jan-13 23:30:54

I don't read fashion blogs but I do beauty blogs.

- 'haul'/'hauling' - no, you bought them from a shop (and then comments with 'congrats on your haul' as though purchasing goods with money is the same as giving birth)
- pimping items clearly sent by PR companies
- writing all in lower case interspersed with 'lifestyle' shots of your 'stash' taken via Instagram
- referring to one's partner as 'the boy' or 'the manshape'

A friend of mine has a beauty blog, and there seems to be a lot of people now taking it seriously as a career move and 'networking'/'liasing with PRs' (and then getting miffed when they don't get invited to events) rather than just writing about stuff they like.

The best one is Temptalia - she just reviews stuff, shows clear pictures, and tells you what's already out there that's similar, and Now Smell This is great for perfume.

fridgepants Tue 15-Jan-13 23:33:31

It's spreading to craft blogs as well (Mollie Makes is a good example). I miss when charity shops were for povvos and sewing was uncool rather than a 'lifestyle choice'.

fridgepants Tue 15-Jan-13 23:35:04

Hit ;send' too early there...

...there's one where the blogger talks about things being 'perfectly peachy' all the time and gives her appliances names eg. 'Ivor Ipad' 'Walter Washing Machine' and it's just so teeth-grindingly TWEE.

Jaeme Wed 16-Jan-13 00:27:48

Guru Gossiper has a section on abhorred bloggers that you'd probably enjoy, full of this kinda stuff although some is a bit subjective.

OliviaPeacein2013Mumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Jan-13 10:30:33

I use all this shite carefully constructed copywriting when I flog stuff on ebay though
The buyers eat it up.

Classic, timeless, ultimate
(if it was that good I wouldn't be flogging on ebay!)
grin

Lalalonglegs I worked in mags and my dealings with the fashion dept was cuddling the interns who hadn't left the cupboard in weeks and begging shoes off them grin

lalalonglegs Wed 16-Jan-13 12:29:10

envy that you blagged shoes. When the mag folded, I turned up the next day with a large holdall convinced that we could just help ourselves to the fashion cupboard. Sadly the only people kept on beyond the end of the week were the two cupboard girls who had three weeks to return all the goodies sad.

fridgepants Wed 16-Jan-13 12:30:35

Oh god, when I was eBaying a bunch of stuff I wrote 'perfect vintage look' and 'a darling piece' so many times that I wanted to shoot myself. But it works.

ubik Wed 16-Jan-13 12:42:37

'manshape'

words fail me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now