Could those of you who have a sense of style have a quick look at this coat?

(41 Posts)

Is it nice?
Or not?

I cannot tell, but am looking for a loooooong, warm winter coat, ideally water-resistent (which this one is).

Thank you for your opinions.
Oh, I am 5'6'', size 14, hour glass.

Link?

Samnella Fri 11-Jan-13 22:03:18

It's the invisible coat.

Oh crap blush

I am getting overexcited, aren't I?

http://www.landsend.co.uk/Women%27s-Down-Chalet-Long-Coat/P_24235,en_GB,pd.html Here it is]]. Sorry.

CointreauVersial Fri 11-Jan-13 22:12:13

I may have a sense of style but i'm short on psychic powers.... LINK!

Corygal Fri 11-Jan-13 22:19:35

It looks ok but depends on what shape you are. Have you a long neck and no derriere? if so, fine. If not, try one of these - eg topper jacket - http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/store/clothing/ultralightdown/women/

which is cheaper and has a curvier cut.

LittlePandaBear Fri 11-Jan-13 22:21:04

I would say it looks pratical and warm, rather than stylish and flattering...

But don't listen to me as I've recently bought a quilted jacket which is warm but my bum is freezing grin

rubytutu Fri 11-Jan-13 22:24:58

well it is warm and it is long but although it may be water resistant down filled coats don't do too well in wet weather. but lands end customer service is great, you will have no probs returning it if it turns out to be not right for you.

rubytutu Fri 11-Jan-13 22:25:46

oh stylish and flattering oh no. no no not at all.

Mspontipine Fri 11-Jan-13 22:33:44

Gail was wearing similar tonight on Corrie smile They appear popular.

Ok, so not good for my broad shoulders/big bum combo then.
I do have a waist though.

I've looked at the Uniqlo ones, they are so shiny....

Thanks for your opinions btw. I've stared at it so long I honestly could not tell what it might look like anymore.

rubytutu Fri 11-Jan-13 22:39:18

You need to work out what you need this kind of coat for. For me that is something I would wear to stand on cold rugby/football pitches or walking the dog as it is long would keep me warm. If I was going out somewhere smart I would wear a long wool coat and smart gloves. I don't think this kind of duvet coat can ever look stylish. But it will do what it is supposed to which is keep you warm.

I have got a Merrell Wakefield (MN coat grin) which if phantastic in rain, but not warm.
I also own the warmest ever Mountain Hardware down jacket which is brilliantly warm, but ends at the bum and does NOT do well in rain.

I would be using this coat to walk to work (10min walk), do school run, nip to local shops etc. Not for 'smart' IYKWIM.

Maybe I should have mentioned that I am 46, don't want to dress mutton-dressed-as-lamb, but equally not like my mum as I feel barely grown up. And I live in sunny Scotland....

Samnella Fri 11-Jan-13 22:44:39

I quite like it as a quilted coat goes. Are you tall and slim? Otherwise I think it would look bulky (I talk as a short plump person).

Hello, fellow short/plump person smile - no, I have never been described as tall and slim. And even when losing weight I remain broad-shouldered/big-boobed and -bummed...

I suppose rather than looking for the ultimate fashion statement, I mainly want to be warm, not scare little children with how I look and not have people pointing and sniggering behind my back.
Oh my standards slip and slip!

Monty27 Fri 11-Jan-13 22:50:42

Not stylish, unless you're a coathanger and beautiful.

(Not saying you're not beautful, but it's very <yawn>.... boring)

Samnella Fri 11-Jan-13 22:54:51

Hello smile I will see if I can find something but TBH I am neither know for my style or beauty grin

OliviaPeacein2013Mumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 11-Jan-13 22:56:10

ROAR at invisible coat

Maryz Fri 11-Jan-13 23:00:17

I have a coat very like that.

I use it for watching rugby matches and it is fan-bloody-tastic - in fact I can wear it with a t-shirt and feel pretty warm even on the coldest days.

Stylish it isn't though. I look like a black bolster on it's end - but then again, who cares?

Samnella Fri 11-Jan-13 23:01:53

this?

You might need to get this vetoes by one of the sylish ones wink

Maryz Fri 11-Jan-13 23:03:13

A bit like this but the cheap end of the range.

Maryz Fri 11-Jan-13 23:03:31

Oops, wrong thread, sorry grin

Samnella Fri 11-Jan-13 23:03:48

Thank you Olivia blush. I have my moments. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and all that. I am meant to be tidying up. Someone tell me to get my lardy bum over to the dish washer.

And I meant vetoed hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now