Is going to get your nails done...a bit, well, kind of rough?

(75 Posts)
MaureenShit Thu 10-Jan-13 15:33:19

i go every ten days, there is not a hint of boden to be seen. wink

To the middle class DIY or sport an unpainted nail?

ScubaSarah Sat 12-Jan-13 08:00:01

I tend to DIY and used to be rubbish at doing my right hand with left until someone told me a trick. Do that one first so you're not also worried about the wet varnish on left hand. I got better overnight. Practice helps too.

I think it only looks 'common' with long think falsies or Chav-tastic decorations. Short neat painted nails are the epitome of style x

niceupthedance Sat 12-Jan-13 07:49:56

I've had acrylic nails for 12 years. I am not rough.

NewYearNewNagoo Sat 12-Jan-13 07:30:58

you can try putting the brush a couple of mm from the cuticle and pushing the colour down, rather than trying to go from the bottom up? You get less colour pooling at the bottom of the nail then.

It really is practice though. you can get the spodges off as well, the special pointy cotton buds from boots are good.

I used to do mine on a moving train grin

DeafLeopard Fri 11-Jan-13 17:48:03

Doing my right hand is harder, but I kind of position the brush on the nail, and then keep left hand still but move the nail along the brush as I have better control IYSWIM?

Then any mess I tackle with a cotton bud and NVR.

CastingNasturtiums Fri 11-Jan-13 11:10:27

Just practise Apple! I think some people are naturally better at using their non-writing hand than others. I'm left handed, but I can write quite neatly with my right hand too, so maybe that's why I can paint my nails neatly smile

AppleOgies Fri 11-Jan-13 10:52:00

To those of you who DIY... How do you do your right hand (if you're right handed) and not get it all up the top of the finger nail right up into the cuticle bit. I only use nail envy because I get colour everywhere.

carmenelectra Fri 11-Jan-13 10:45:15

pared down

carmenelectra Fri 11-Jan-13 10:44:28

I quite like full on bling manicured although I can never have them because of work. In real life I have quite a paired down shellac thang going on. Either subtle neutral or pale french. Chic I thinkm

Sometimes do my own nails in varying shades of neutral/pink and maybe bit more full on for summer hols.

Toenails always painted bright colour, sometimes glitter top coat. Changed regularly rather than repainted until you need a chisel to remove. Even thick layered nail polish better than bare toenails as they always look yellow and fungusey(not mine- in general).

I do like the look of those wraparound nail sticker things, especially full on chavtastic animal prints. Wonder if they are any good?

NewYearNewNagoo Thu 10-Jan-13 23:29:23

I do my own shellac. I like doing it.

I am not comfortable with the cherishing at the place in town.

I've always been a DIY kind of a person.

I love nail polish smile It's my favourite smile

Raven have you seen the nfu oh flakies? <swoons>

TheBOF Thu 10-Jan-13 22:24:18

But women have been painting their nails since, when, the 1930s? How can you decree that 2013 is The End?

KenDoddsDadsDog Chile Thu 10-Jan-13 22:23:19

I have Shellac done at home. No people watching sad

Charliefox Thu 10-Jan-13 22:21:08

Yes, probably although even when very well done, I just think it all looks a bit passé now.

PlumSykes Thu 10-Jan-13 22:19:21

My nail shop is where I go to talk about the Kardashians, listen to Rihanna, and eavesdrop on conversations about boys and clubs. Though I just have short, square dark claret Shellac, nothing glittery-yet.

Arisbottle Thu 10-Jan-13 22:05:19

Charlie is that not just badly done nails?

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 10-Jan-13 22:04:09

I think toe nails without varnish on look really strange and manky looking. Red is the way to go!

Charliefox Thu 10-Jan-13 22:03:51

Yes, it's very common, especially if you have a certain kind of gel / false nail that's quite 'thick'.

StinkyWicket Thu 10-Jan-13 22:02:19

I don't really get what you mean tbh. I always have painted nails as I like them, but I do them myself. I like doing them myself!

My nails are actually quite long and squarish, they are my natural nails. I don't like really long fake ones.

Arisbottle Thu 10-Jan-13 21:47:41

I always get mine repainted when I am in the hairdresser . I get my I fills done once a fortnight but painted every week.

Chubfuddler Thu 10-Jan-13 21:35:15

That's an erm interesting technique. But as I am by no means proficient I've probably achieved a similar look.

DeafLeopard Thu 10-Jan-13 21:27:31

Chub I keep the same colour on my toes so I can just repaint the grown out bits every couple of weeks - the top of my toe nails are about 3 inches thick [slight exaggeration] - now that is rough grin

Chubfuddler Thu 10-Jan-13 20:54:19

As I am going away this weekend I'm going to paint my toenails

Now that's common.

Chubfuddler Thu 10-Jan-13 20:52:52

Don't bits of hair stick to the varnish bonsoir?

ravenAK Thu 10-Jan-13 20:51:49

I'd get bored with 'done' nails.

I do mine every Sunday night, unless I've had a night out at the weekend & done them for that already.

I favour dark/dramatic colours & I'm shit hot at applying them. It is my one & only practical skill & also my only girly skill.

Currently wearing black, topped with clear with mauve glitter, topped with dark maroon, to create a 'rouge noir with trapped glitzy bits' effect. Looking forward to trying some rubber effect polishes from the Illamasqua £5 sale (I can tell people about it now I've put my order in!).

Doshusallie Thu 10-Jan-13 20:49:49

Have mine done every 3 weeks, gels....had French manicure for years but now have a colour, currently sporting a rather on trend dark grey! Hate having chipped, tatty nails, and love having glossy, short, squared off nails.

monkeysmama Thu 10-Jan-13 20:45:25

I have gel over my natural nails and get them in filled every two weeks. Costs £13 at local Vietnamese place. I have them painted dark red or sometimes natural French. Have to take my own if I want Essie / Jessica / OPI.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now