Is going to get your nails done...a bit, well, kind of rough?

(75 Posts)
MaureenShit Thu 10-Jan-13 15:33:19

i go every ten days, there is not a hint of boden to be seen. wink

To the middle class DIY or sport an unpainted nail?

Girlinpearls Thu 10-Jan-13 15:38:30

Your post really made me smile. I don't think long, painted nails are a middle class 'thing'. Don't yummy mummies have short, smart nails and DIY with a slick of the latest OPI offering and Chanel topcoat?

MaureenShit Thu 10-Jan-13 15:39:17

thats what i have done there. am obv delicious wink but no braying about thePony club disco, nothign

PrincessRagnhild Thu 10-Jan-13 15:39:38

Depends what you're having done. Are they long bejewelled talons? Bright white French manicured claws?

MaureenShit Thu 10-Jan-13 15:41:10

it doesnt really though. Just the occupants of the place are a little down at heel.

NB am sure are lovely etctc

usualsuspect Thu 10-Jan-13 15:42:07

My grown up DD has her nails done quite often. She is quite common though. grin

Savannahgirl Thu 10-Jan-13 15:42:18

My nails are awful. I never have time to sit and paint them, let alone wait for the polish to dry. I very occasionally treat myself to a manicure (once every couple of years) but otherwise they are just cut very short and left to their own devices!
Not at all yummy mummy grin

PrincessRagnhild Thu 10-Jan-13 15:42:45

I had the best manicure ever at a really rough nail bar in Nottingham. I went rock climbing the next day and it survived with no chips at all. So who cares.

MaureenShit Thu 10-Jan-13 15:45:59

i kove those really spikey ones done in acid green glitter

I know i know!

PrincessRagnhild Thu 10-Jan-13 15:46:31

But if they are just short with colour, why wouldn't you do it yourself?

PrincessRagnhild Thu 10-Jan-13 15:47:16

x post in that case fair enough go to a salon grin

MaureenShit Thu 10-Jan-13 15:48:31

princess i am REALLY bad at painting.

i get a file and polish. ¢6

polyhymnia Thu 10-Jan-13 15:51:56

Have to admit that my favourite way of getting my nails done is at my hairdresssers - while my colour 'takes'. Gives plenty of time for the polish to dry. My hairdressers always have a good selection of the latest Essie colours too.

Failing that, can do neutral colours at home, but do go to a local beauty salon for darker colours, eg greys, which are harder to do.

PrincessRagnhild Thu 10-Jan-13 15:52:45

That's so cheap! I'd go every week for a file a polish if it only cost that much envy

PrincessRagnhild Thu 10-Jan-13 15:53:28

But I've been painting my own in dark colours since I was about 12 and am a genius at it now. Never have unpainted nails.

polyhymnia Thu 10-Jan-13 15:55:39

You are obviously very much more adept with your hands than I am princess! I'm ham-fisted to the point of dyspraxia. Luckily, I don't like to wear polish all the time anyway.

MaureenShit Thu 10-Jan-13 15:57:07

you need a vietnamese place

PrincessRagnhild Thu 10-Jan-13 16:00:19

Yeah I'm quite good at painting my nails polyhymnia. Just uploaded my Xmas mani to my profile...it was preeetty grin

PrincessRagnhild Thu 10-Jan-13 16:00:43

Unfortunately it's not a skill that looks good on a CV sad

PrincessRagnhild Thu 10-Jan-13 16:00:55

UNLESS you are a beauty therapist of course.

I think people do see it as a bit rough.

I quite like going but only go for shellac or gels now.

I practised a lot at painting my nails and I am pretty cak handed generally but can do my nails no bother now.

PrincessRagnhild Thu 10-Jan-13 16:02:59

Hmm, you can't really see the rainbow glitter in the photo. Boo

mimmytoz Thu 10-Jan-13 16:05:22

I have my nails done every 3 or 4 weeks I have gel acrylics atm I have dark green glitter on all but my ring finger on both hands which is silver glittrr and 3D flowers too.

MaureenShit Thu 10-Jan-13 16:17:21

that is well rough, though, isnt it? you have to agree

PrincessRagnhild Thu 10-Jan-13 16:23:45

Rough combined with taste = fashion
Too much taste = frumpy/boring

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now