How to make yourself look taller

(35 Posts)
reallylittlelass Tue 01-Jan-13 20:59:39

I am a very tiny lady, 4'10 to be precise. What I want to know is what kind of styles and clothing would make me look taller? I am so embarrased of looking so short, oh I wish i looked taller. It makes me sad how some shallow people really take the piss out of snooki and call her a dwarf and midget.
www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2255520/JWoww-towers-Snooki-girls-dress-impress-glittering-gowns-leading-stars-welcoming-2013-Twitter.html
I am a size 10, am looking for an outfit for my friends wedding, ideally I would like to wear a dress. I know it sounds odd, but am fed up of wearing heels.

soaccidentprone Wed 02-Jan-13 17:09:50
pippop1 Wed 02-Jan-13 17:23:10

Would you consider wearing a hat for your friend's wedding? A fascinator type of thing which draws people's eyes to your head and makes you look a little taller?

I am just under 5 foot and, sadly, not a size 10. I was always told not to wear shoes with ankle straps or mary jane type shoes as they shorten your length. Wear clothes with detaling around the neck and shoulders rather than the hem of your skirt/dress as again the eye can be drawn to your upper half rather than the length of your legs.

One good thing (if you are single) is that the slighly smaller man will be attracted to you. My DH is 5ft 6 and DS1 and DS2 are both taller than him. I never had to refuse going out with a man because I was too tall for him, unlike some friends!

If anyone says anything rude to you just reply, with a superior and knowing smile, "haven't you heard, good things come in small packages".

reallylittlelass Wed 02-Jan-13 17:29:21

soacid thanks for that, the coat is bloody beautiful.

reallylittlelass Wed 02-Jan-13 17:31:56

pippop that made me feel good. Yes I would consider wearing a little hat, I am married and my husband is 6ft funnily.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 02-Jan-13 17:40:13

I'm short, my DD is 13 and not yet got to my height but most of her friends tower over me. It really doesn't bother me - I grin and tell them to think of me when they're flying and all scrunched up in their seats.

I haven't worn heels for years - I'm still short with them on, they just make me walk less confidently.

reallylittlelass Wed 02-Jan-13 17:43:14

grimma I am short with heels on, but they make me feel abit more confident, I really wouldn't have the confidence to wear flats sad

GrimmaTheNome Wed 02-Jan-13 17:58:47

Well, for a wedding with a dress, even I would probably have a bit of a heel or wedge (something I could still balance in after a glass of bubbly grin) , so this probably isn't the right occasion to experiment with flats - but if you're fed up with heels give them a try elsewhere.

reallylittlelass Wed 02-Jan-13 18:05:51

Thanks grimma

pickledsiblings Wed 02-Jan-13 22:45:04

really, check out these J Brand cropped skinny cords - massively reduced and very flattering

scripsi Thu 03-Jan-13 00:40:01

Am watching this with interest, I am petite and now I am back in work full time I need to convey a degree of authority and give an aura of tallness. So far I have taken the approach of skinny jackets which aren't too long. I made the mistake of wearing a full length coat last week and it made me look as if I was playing dress-up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now