How do you wear your bras?

(760 Posts)
BedHeadTigi Sat 25-Aug-12 18:44:17

Do you like to wear them super tight so you know they are there and leave bra marks when you take them off, or have them at a looser more comfortable setting? Im asking this because i have realised all of my old bras are pretty super tight on me, but my new ones are so comfortable and no way as tight but i wonder if they will still support my bust the same?

MrsPnut Mon 17-Sep-12 07:48:09

Hurrah for all these magnificent bosoms. grin

HazleNutt Mon 17-Sep-12 08:42:38

grin excellent mirai

Mumsnet miracle - we will take you from B to E cup in 2 minutes (plus delivery time), no surgery!

Hurrah Mirai!

SorrelForbes Mon 17-Sep-12 08:49:16

So pleased for you Mirai. grin

mirai Mon 17-Sep-12 08:55:10

"plus delivery time" made me laugh, HazleNutt! smile

Well, another 3-figure (shock)order has been made, can't wait for them to arrive. Little tip for any overseas Brastoppers - if you send them an email with your order number they will refund your VAT which was a nice surprise!

It was great fun choosing which greying old bras to throw out! grin

KatieMorag Mon 17-Sep-12 09:13:39

Lessons I have learned from this thread

1.always consult mumsnet before making any style and beauty purchases

2.never own 60 bras. Your shape and size will change so much due to pregnancy , bf, hormones, menopause, weight loss/gain, exercise etc. A few basics /t shirt style, a few going out /fancy ones, a few bedrooms ones ( if that your thing ;-), tis all you need . Chuck em out when they re done and buy new ones.

I've noticed MN has gone boob thread crazy since this one started.

HazleNutt Tue 18-Sep-12 10:39:51

See there we go again, Kelly Brook, 34E. She's tiny. And people think 'Oh, she's 34, so I can't be less than 38..'
www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2204885/Kelly-Brook-admits-love-hate-relationship-cleavage.html

Grrr, she is neither a 34 nor an e! Try a 28/30 and at least a g, prob bigger. Newspapers drive me nuts with their made up sizes.

And if I'm a 34C/D there is no way even an E cup on a 34 band would fit anyway...but perhaps that's evident from the pictures?

(How'd my mini rant score there?)

sparklingsea Tue 18-Sep-12 16:13:36

Can any of you tell me what the sizing is like for Cury Kate bras? I wear a 30 GG and 30H in Freya and Panache, occasionally a 32G. My band measurements is 31 so kind of in between sizes but tend to go for a 30 as I like them on the tight side.

Have been browsing brastop and fancy trying some of the Cury Kate ones and pondering what size to go for. My most comfy bra to date is the Panache superbra plunge in 30 H. Do Cury Kate come up generous in the band? How do they compare to other brands? Thought I would check it out with you experts first!

Thanks!

SorrelForbes Tue 18-Sep-12 16:27:20

I have a Curvy Kate Thrill Me (Showgirl range) and it runs true to size for me. I measure 30.5 and wear 30G in Curvy Kate, Freya and Debenhams Gorgeous.

I would say ck are on the big side of back so I would go for the 30.

Cup wise- I wear mainly an h in freya, an hh in bravissimo brand. Unpadded ck didn't work for me but size wise, hh. Padded in the showgirl balconies(tease me/thrillme//fleurty-) debated but eventually decided on the h. Tempt me plunge- have an hh but a j would be better.

Also. word of warning. Whilst the designs are lovely, their pants are tiny. Two sizes up, and still a bit small! So size up!

sparklingsea Tue 18-Sep-12 16:41:13

Well I find that in plunge styles I need to go up a cup size so think I will try the 30GG. That size fits well in freya non plunge. Thanks for that. I rarely buy the sets with the pants as am usually in tears with the amount I spend on bras!

GoingforGoingforGOLD Tue 18-Sep-12 16:51:47

Raises hand

So, do you measure across the voob with a bra on?

If your bra is too small and squashing your boobs is it possible this may give a false measurement or is it unlikely to be squashing them a significant amount?

If I measure without a bra on, well my boons are about a foot lower than I want them to be. And flat.

The across measurement is always trickier. Try with your best bra, and also try with nobra, but bending forward so your boobs kind of hang at 90 degrees away from you. Not perfect although on me it gives the same measurement as my best fitting bra. You might need to experiment a bit with cups to get it right but post the measurements and we will give u an idea

mirai Wed 19-Sep-12 08:15:46

Hmm quick question. I'm still loving my new bras but I've started to experience the straps sort of twisting over on themselves, at the front right next to my armpit. It's making that area a little sore/red. I'm guessing it means something is too tight or loose??

All my bras have only ever had very thin bra straps and all these new E cups have wide (for me at least) straps, so maybe it's something to do with that too? Any help please oh wise ones?

KatieMorag Wed 19-Sep-12 08:59:33

Re curvy Kate sizes-I'm a 30F in most makes and have just bought a 30FF in a curvy Kate bra ( sorry can't remember which one).the 30f was too small on the cup . I sized up as bloggers say their bras are small on the cups.the back size seemed standard

Bonus was the the FF had a broader back strap , so less likely to cut in

HazleNutt Wed 19-Sep-12 09:42:14

hm mirai odd, never happens to me. just tried to twist the straps and do you think they could simply be to loose?

Mirai - sounds like a very similar problem I had with my Debenhams bra.

I tried a different brand and problem was solved. When wearing my different brand I would see where the red marks were and decided that it was the shape of the debenhams that was the problem. The debenhams had a higher side, the cup finished higher and was skirting closer to my armpit (not really close just closer). The straps weren't actually twisting but as I moved my arm across my body I think that the strap was being flexed 90degrees and I ended up with the side edge digging in if that makes sense.

Which brands/bras did you go for in the end as I may avoid them because it does sound like I would have a problem with them.

My Bra Queen cups finish much lower, the side band isn't as wide, and the position of the junction between bra and strap is further away from my armpit (closer to my breastbone). Only 1cm or so but it makes all the difference for me.

mirai Fri 21-Sep-12 10:14:10

Haunted, they are all now in the washing basket but when I do them this weekend I'll let you know the brands. Also expecting a new delivery any day now so watch this space for further reviews!!

LtheWife Fri 21-Sep-12 14:16:39

My weight has been fluctuating a bit so I bought a few bras that were an OK but not great fit until it settled down. I've just recieved my order of new bras to try on and not one of them fits! I was wearing a 32DD but that is on the tightest hook and starting to ride up at the back now although the cups fit well. I ordered 30E and F but even the 30F gives me a bit of double boobage when breathing in and a small bulge outside the straps in front of the armpit that escapes after scoopage. The fabric immediately underneath the lowest point of the underwire is also turning under a bit so I'm thinking a 30 might be a little big. Or could that just be because the cup is too small so holding the band away from my ribcage (although the wires sit nicely on my ribcage in the center)? Tape measure says I should be a 28E or F but if a 30 F produces bulges I'm going to need a bigger cup size.

So I need to send them back. I'm guessing I should start again with a 28G, does that sound about right? That particular style doesn't go down to a 28 though so I'm guessing it might be better to just get a refund and shop in person due to the sizes differing between brands and styles. Can anyone recommend any bricks and mortar shops that keep a good range of large cup 28's in stock so I can have a trying on session? I'm based in West London. I'd order more online but I'm off on holiday soon and want to get it sorted before I go away.

A 28G should be about the same cup as a 30FF, so if you have double boobage when breathing in only that may be about right. As you are in London then I would suggest going straight to Bravissimo tbh, they are probably the place that is most likely to have decent selection of 28s.

The across boob measurement is very much a rough guide because it is affected so much by the bra you are wearing when you measure! My measurement changes by several inches depending on the shape the bra makes me.

Mirai
I get this problem with all bras easily available. I have either strange shape boobs or a narrow chest. I think it's a narrow chest and shoulders.
All wires on all brands mentioned on here don't fit my boobs under the armpit. And all the straps are set too wide for me. Not only do they rub as you mention, the straps falloff my shoulders as they are perched on the edges. It's not the size. I HATE bra fitters including bravissimo because they just yank the straps inwards towards my ears and they are not straight. ruddy magic is all that would keep them there.

I have found success with cashmere (not spelt like that) by Chantelle. And rosa faia twin comfort by Anita. Neither are slender shall we say. Both are incredibly hard to find on high st.
Chantelle was in fenicks. Anita is in rigby.
I actually want to buy the Anita twin firm but it seems I need to go to austria.....

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 30-Sep-12 13:59:17

I'm 36 underneath, 41/42 on top (depending if breathing in or out!), I am currently wearing a 36d but seems like I might need a 36DD or 36E from measurements above, is that right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now